Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash Issues

I have an automatic flashgun that attaches to the hot-shoe on my MX. I set the ASA speed on the dial on top, switched the flash to "auto", and set the shutter speed to the synced 60x, but when I take a picture, the flash doesn't go off. I know the flash unit works, because I loaded it with new batteries and tested it with the small red discharge button. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

01-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It can be the flash, it can be the camera.

Test the flash with another camera.

If you don't have another camera: try shorting the contacts (ground) on the side of the foot of the flash with the center pin of the foot. If the flash fires, it's OK and the problem is likely with the camera.

There may be a loose or corroded contact to the hotshoe of the flash. If the flash has a PC cord, test the flash with the camera's PC terminal.

My old MX had the same symptom. The problem was caused by a failed solder joint just under the top plate. It was simple to fix.

If you are handy, open up the plate to investigate.