Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Manual - Auto

Hi this should be a short thread , I have a Kx and a growing number of Tacamura's
My question is what position do I have the Manual -auto slide in to take a shot.
Cheers Mark

01-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What is a tacamura?
01-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Excuse my bad spelling Takumar
01-07-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

.....Manual.....

01-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Damn Brit

If you're talking about the MF/AF switch on the camera, I don't think it matters. It never hurts to be safe rather than sorry though so set it on MF. Then if you ever get a lens that gives you the option of MF or AF the switching should be automatic for you.
01-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Igilligan

If you are using...

If you are using M mode on the camera and green button metering... then I focus in auto (wide open) then slide to man and green button meter - fire...

If you are in 'A' mode on the camera, focus in Auto, slide to Man shoot...
01-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Screw Mount lenses require manual lens mode

QuoteOriginally posted by wedgetail Quote
Hi this should be a short thread , I have a Kx and a growing number of Tacamura's
My question is what position do I have the Manual -auto slide in to take a shot.
Cheers Mark

Do you mean screw-mount Takumars? If so, then you must put the lens in manual mode. No Pentax dslr (or any other maker, afaik) has the mechanism to push the little silver aperture pin at the moment of exposure.

On my K10D, I use a Super-Takumar 50mm, f/1.4 from my Spotmatic. I put the lens in manual mode and the camera in Av (sometimes manual) mode. I compose and focus the image, then half-press to activate the meter, turn the aperture ring to the desired stop, let the camera pick a shutter speed and press the rest of the way. This is called "stop-down" metering, since the meter takes its reading with the lens stopped down to the working aperture.

M42 (screwmount) lenses remain open until the camera pushes that little silver pin on the lens mount. Old Pentax M42 bodies, such as the Spotmatic, had the ability to do that; dslrs do not.

I don't believe that k-mount lenses even have the Auto/Manual switch.

01-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm guessing it's the screw mount Takumar as well and yes, it should be set to "manual". Be careful when trying to change the Auto-Manual setting on the lens when it is not screwed onto the camera body. There is a very tiny pin at the back of the lens that you have to press in with your finger nail before the slider will slide (you may already know that). This pin is different than the larger pin that controls the aperature blades.

There are a few ways to use manual lenses, and Paul has posted one of them above. There are a few articles on other aspects/methods here on the forum. My method is;

Set the camera and lens to manual
Focus with the lens wide open
Adjust the aperature to what you want
Press the green button
Shoot
Check the shot and adjust using the edials (either the shutter speed or aperature inside the camera)

It's easier than it sounds and once it's set, it's quite often fine for a series of shots. Once you get used to a particular lens, you'll can then get to know what to set the ev compensation to on the camera, so the green button is bang on each time...but I wouldn't worry about that for now...