Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Will have to try this; sounds a lot easier than trying to remember what shutter speed you just shot at, trying to meter around the scene to get that same reading, then hitting AE-L to lock it on.

Will give it a try!

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I find it *better* than Av mode, though, because in Av mode, the camera would then constantly alter that shutter speed from shot to shot depending on irrelevant details like how light or dark someone's shirt is, where with M mode, once it's set, it stays set until *I* change it. Of course, the part about it *staying* set is the advantage of M mode with or without the Green button; the only additional advantage of the Green button is how fast it is to choose an appropriate shutter speed as a starting point.

01-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use the green button to get a starting point when shooting in manual. Especially when I am shooting with my old SMC-M 50mm f/1.7. I love it.
01-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roverlr3 Quote
I will first respond by saying "Never use it". I didn't really know how or what it was for.
That was until I read thru this post. Then today I got a chance to walk thru the Botanic Garden in Denver and used it for almost every shot. With the FA 100mm Macro mounted on my K20 and in the manual mode, the results were very good. The lighting changes constantly in the conservatory and "The Green Button" made almost every shot a keeper.
It's all the shared information on the forum that helps me get better at photography. Thanks to you all.
Jeff
That is why there is a Sticky Post in here called "The Usage of Green Button"

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I almost always leave the camera in P mode, with Auto ISO on 100-800 for the K7, 100-400 for the K10D. I change aperture or shutter via the wheels keeping an eye on what ISO has been selected. Sometimes I'll set it specifically, sometimes I'll hit the Exp Comp button (still not used to that on the K7... K10D much nicer to use). Once I go back to searching for my next pic, I'll usually hit the green button to give the camera control of things for the moment What is interesting about all this is I also shoot B&W LF & MF using a modified Sunny 16 system... I look at the meter (in camera in MF, spot meter for LF), decide that's rubbish and go with a Sunny 16 variation!

01-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #35

I always use the "green button" (+/- button on K-m) when using my manual focus 50mm prime.
01-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #36

I am sorry, I am very new at this,but I confused. What is the difference between shooting manual mode and using greeen buttonfor Tv shift - versus shooting in Tv mode? Either way,aren't setting shutter speed,letting camera pick aperture? What am I missing? Thanks.
01-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #37
Veteran Member

With modern lenses (Pentax-A onwards) pressing the green button in M-mode puts the camera temporarily in P-mode so you get the settings that P would choose under the same circumstances and can use them as a starting point. With older lenses (Pentax-M and older) the green button causes the lens to be stopped down for long enough to get a meter reading and set a shutter time to match, so this is akin to Av mode.

Strictly speaking the newer lenses work like the older ones when the aperture ring is set to a position other than A. Also green button can be given other functions, but the "PLINE" described here is the default.

Last edited by jolepp; 01-07-2011 at 11:25 AM.
01-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use it almost every time I take a picture as I shoot primarily older M,K and M42 lenses. without it I may as well just rely on sunny and f16 rule for exposure, not always the best thing (and if I am I may as well just shoot my SV or My Bronica 645)
As for making adjustments after pressing it I do, however the exposure variance with Manual lenses is not consistent So I am just as likely to push or pull a half stop in lightroom
If you shoot without stop down metering (essentially what the green button does for you) then your exposure will be based on wide open, not so hot if the lens is at f11, ok when i am shooting a band at a club and i am probably wide open in any case

01-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Will it work the other way round in M-mode? Can I set a shutter speed and let the green button set the aperture or do I need to use Tv mode?

Can't try it out as have deliberatly left camera at my girlfriends while I write essays for uni...
01-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Will it work the other way round in M-mode? Can I set a shutter speed and let the green button set the aperture or do I need to use Tv mode?

Can't try it out as have deliberatly left camera at my girlfriends while I write essays for uni...
With modern lenses pressing green button, applying AE lock and then using the control wheel(s) would - kind of - work to that effect. With AE lock in effect you can dial through the combinations producing the same exposure (akin P-SHIFT in P). With older lenses the problem is that the body doesn't control the aperture, this can only be set by the ring.
01-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Never use it myself
01-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #42
NKK
Veteran Member

I allways use it in manual mode, and on old lenses Very useful
01-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Yes I always use the Green Button with lenses that have manual apertures. Really helps retain the joys of using manual lenses and extension tubes in my opinion.
I do agree that it is one of the buttons on the K-7 I wished they had not moved. For me on the K10 it was perfectly placed but with the K-7 it almost seems a distraction. Like everytime I move my thumb up to engage the feature it forces me out of the scene. That split second where I have to change my grip slighty takes my attention away from the mood in my viewfinder. Very seldom was this the case with my K10.
For me this is it's only use. I have never used it to reset settings in any auto program modes and it is much easier than pulling on the On/Off switch for previews.
01-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Shooting Manual mode without the Green button is like riding a bicycle without pedals
Great comment marc

For the OP

I use the green button on manual aperture lenses (K mounts) all the time. On the *istD, and K7 you can even set exposure compensation in manual to deliberately over / under expose even when pressing the green button, this is great if a lens has a tendancy to always over / under expose.

I also use the green button in manual mode on A lenses. Let's imagine I am shooting a difficult lighting scenario. I don't bother with AE lock, I simply switch to manual, use spot metering and press the green button to meter directly on what I want exposed to the middle of the histogram.

Many times, I will shoot manual mode, and meter off the paved roadway (like an infinite 18% grey card) and shoot this way getting the tonal range the incident lighting provides.
01-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Yes I always use the Green Button with lenses that have manual apertures. Really helps retain the joys of using manual lenses and extension tubes in my opinion.
I do agree that it is one of the buttons on the K-7 I wished they had not moved. For me on the K10 it was perfectly placed but with the K-7 it almost seems a distraction. Like everytime I move my thumb up to engage the feature it forces me out of the scene. That split second where I have to change my grip slighty takes my attention away from the mood in my viewfinder. Very seldom was this the case with my K10.
for me it is not an issue of where it is, but the fact that it has moved between *istD, K10/K20, and K7/K5

if they would just leave the dam thing in one spot there would be no issue