Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Green button - who really uses it?

Yes, there is a great thread about this Green Button and quite a bit on the Hyper Program mode as well. So maybe this thread should be moved within the Green Button thread ... ? The moderators will let me know for sure.
I wasn't sure where it should go.

But, frankly, how many of you really use this Green button (and the Hyper program)?
I started with the K10D, up to the K20D and now with a K7 .... never used any of those!

For people using the Green button (and Hyper program mode), did it make a difference in the final results: your images?
Did it make your life simpler in terms of proper exposure?

I shoot nearly 90% Av and the rest in Manual mode ... would the Green button help at all?

Curious to see if I have been missing one of the greatest features Pentax has to offer.

JP

01-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Dom

What's this 'Green Button' your talking about.

No I've never used it.
01-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I mainly use the green button to reset EV compensation and flash EV compensation, and much more rarely to go into Auto-ISO mode, but that's about it. I also sometimes use it when I'm in M mode (which is not very often) to get a "baseline" meter reading.

I suppose if I did use P and/or HyperProgram I would use it more, to return to the "base" exposure settings after modifying them.
01-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Shooting Manual mode without the Green button is like riding a bicycle without pedals - I'm sure you could figure out a way to do it, but why on earth would you, when the Green button makes it so much easier? Set aperture, hit Grene button get camera to set shutter speed. Much less fumbling than spinning dials until the meter reads 0. *After* setting an initial exposure that way, of course, I then tweak things with the dials from then on.

In other modes (whih I rarely use), the Green button wouldn't seem nearly as useful, but in Manual, it's a HUGE time saver.

01-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I mainly use K or Takumar lenses and shoot in Manual mode. I always hit the green button for the first shot, and adjust whatever is needed, then I am usually set for a series of shots. It's just a short cut to get things set to close to where they should be....
01-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Using the green button for manual mode is amazing. It gives you a starting place. Without it, I think I could never use manual mode. With it, I am able to consistently take well exposed shots with it. Very useful.

On the other hand, I don't use program mode, so don't appreicate its value there.
01-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are always going to be buttons, features and techniques that linger unused on the camera. Mostly this is because the camera offers many paths to arrive at one combination of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. The main thing is to find techniques that work for you.

I've never found a use for selectable AF focus points, but I just read a post regretting that they don't work with a manual focus lens. I really don't get how this would be useful, but obviously I use my camera differently.

01-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
. Much less fumbling than spinning dials until the meter reads 0. *After* setting an initial exposure that way, of course, I then tweak things with the dials from then on.
When I'm working with a tripod or just taking my time I use the dials. I find that it allows me to check composition and elements in the frame at the same time, so in that respect, I don't think any time is wasted. I used to use the green button like you do but I think my photography has benefited by slowing it down.

Now, if it's a case of take the shot or miss it, I'll use the green button.

@JP - This is a good place for the thread, new members and beginners might find the discussion interesting.
01-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Goodness, I use it a lot. Manual mode or to reset ev etc. Also with old manual lenses for stop down metering. It's one of the very nice contols on my Pentax k10/20 that I'd be lost without. It's also useful becuse I reset the camera and can keep my eye in the eyepiece at the same time.
01-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Shooting Manual mode without the Green button is like riding a bicycle without pedals - I'm sure you could figure out a way to do it, but why on earth would you, when the Green button makes it so much easier? Set aperture, hit Grene button get camera to set shutter speed. Much less fumbling than spinning dials until the meter reads 0. *After* setting an initial exposure that way, of course, I then tweak things with the dials from then on.

In other modes (whih I rarely use), the Green button wouldn't seem nearly as useful, but in Manual, it's a HUGE time saver.
Marc,
Why did you again pick my brains?!

Seriously, with all of the talk about this Green Button, it almost looked as if it were a magic wand of some sort.
But the way you are exlaining what it does in Manual mode ... simple! And worth a try.
Thanks for convincing me to go and ride my bike with pedals this time.

JP
01-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
What's this 'Green Button' your talking about.

No I've never used it.
Just like me, up to now.
But I am now seeing a lot of convincing arguments for its use in manual mode.

JP
01-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I mainly use the green button to reset EV compensation and flash EV compensation, and much more rarely to go into Auto-ISO mode, but that's about it. I also sometimes use it when I'm in M mode (which is not very often) to get a "baseline" meter reading.

I suppose if I did use P and/or HyperProgram I would use it more, to return to the "base" exposure settings after modifying them.
Looks like I might start using it in Manual mode.
I'll test this out tomorrow morning.

JP
01-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I mainly use K or Takumar lenses and shoot in Manual mode. I always hit the green button for the first shot, and adjust whatever is needed, then I am usually set for a series of shots. It's just a short cut to get things set to close to where they should be....
I can see the point of hitting this magic button so that it acts as a photometer, then you can always fine adjust your settings as needed.

I forgot to ask: once you go back to, let's say, Av mode, does the Green button remain active or do you have to hit it again?

JP
01-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Using the green button for manual mode is amazing. It gives you a starting place. Without it, I think I could never use manual mode. With it, I am able to consistently take well exposed shots with it. Very useful.

On the other hand, I don't use program mode, so don't appreicate its value there.
I suppose you must make some fine adjustments after you hit this button, right? Or do you always hit the button, shhot, and your results are what you'd expect?

JP
01-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
There are always going to be buttons, features and techniques that linger unused on the camera. Mostly this is because the camera offers many paths to arrive at one combination of aperture, shutter speed and ISO. The main thing is to find techniques that work for you.

I've never found a use for selectable AF focus points, but I just read a post regretting that they don't work with a manual focus lens. I really don't get how this would be useful, but obviously I use my camera differently.
The way the trend is these days, cameras are becoming more and more complex, always with this or that new "feature button" of some sort. This Green button is totally new to me, really! It is as if it never existed and, to be frank with you, I never even looked in the manual about what it is used for.
But it certainly seems that this is going to change, if I find it as useful, in manual mode, as it is claimed to be here.

JP