Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

guys, please help me out, tripod and camera bags...

hi guys, i really don't know which tripod and camera bag i should buy now. Honestly speaking, as a beginner, i just need an affordable tripod for my KX and can shoot the architectures or landscape (need to buy a remote control too? ), and a bag for my KX and two lenses. Any recommendations?

Btw, im really curious about the pentax film camera and old lens, that't why i decided to buy KX:-) im trying to buy a pentax me super and a pentax A 50mm f1.7 lens, do you guys think i should buy these stuff ASAP?

many questions, and thanks for any help :-) i'll leave this question here and go back to you tomorrow, cheers~~~have a nice weekend~~~

Zhitao

01-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A Pentax A series 50mm F1.7 is always a sure bet - well constructed, great focusing and reasonably priced.

Bags are intensely personal, and a closet obsession for many! That said, give us some idea of what you would like to carry (i.e. just camera - if so, what lenses do you intend to have in the near/distant future? laptop? Jacket? lunch/snacks?). what type you would prefer - backpack, messenger bag, shoulder bag, sling bag...Then we can get a feel and make some suggestions.

The last one regarding tripods is the trickiest to answer. Whether you want to carry one is upto you! Most will recommend that if you do, to spend enough to get it right the first time. If money is a strict concern, just get something that will be adequate, knowing that if you use one often you will end up upgrading sometime in the future.

On tripods, this thread should also be of help:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/45466-tripod-reviews.html

And you can also hit up the Field Accessories section to find more tripod and bag related threads.

Hope that helps!
01-08-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Affordable tripod could mean anything - what's your budget?
I don't recommend the cheap flimsy aluminium frame tripods, they're just not stable enough even for a light setup.
The lens is perfect for you - keep with it and stick with primes if you're looking for different focal lengths.
01-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for tripods, dont buy something below 50 bucks.
for bags, LowePro is a good choice.

01-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
A Pentax A series 50mm F1.7 is always a sure bet - well constructed, great focusing and reasonably priced.

Bags are intensely personal, and a closet obsession for many! That said, give us some idea of what you would like to carry (i.e. just camera - if so, what lenses do you intend to have in the near/distant future? laptop? Jacket? lunch/snacks?). what type you would prefer - backpack, messenger bag, shoulder bag, sling bag...Then we can get a feel and make some suggestions.

The last one regarding tripods is the trickiest to answer. Whether you want to carry one is upto you! Most will recommend that if you do, to spend enough to get it right the first time. If money is a strict concern, just get something that will be adequate, knowing that if you use one often you will end up upgrading sometime in the future.

On tripods, this thread should also be of help:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/field-accessories/45466-tripod-reviews.html

And you can also hit up the Field Accessories section to find more tripod and bag related threads.

Hope that helps!
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
for tripods, dont buy something below 50 bucks.
for bags, LowePro is a good choice.
Thanks pxpaulx and Pentaxor, i will check the section for the information, and buy a tripod more than 50 bucks.

As for the review mentioned by pxpaulx, it's really useful, now i have to say, i have made my mind to ignore tripods below 100 bucks or even 150 bucks, the steeper, the better :-)
01-09-2010, 02:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Affordable tripod could mean anything - what's your budget?
I don't recommend the cheap flimsy aluminium frame tripods, they're just not stable enough even for a light setup.
The lens is perfect for you - keep with it and stick with primes if you're looking for different focal lengths.
at beginning, i just wanted to spend less than 50 bucks for the tripod, but now, i thank more than 100 bucks would be my choice :-)

as for the lens, is it a bit early for me to use it?
01-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I bought a cheap (around $30) tripod at Walmart a few years back as something cheap and light for a small mini DV camcorder. Well, it was cheap and light and also totally useless. It was quite rickety and the slightest breeze would make the thing shake and rattle. The center post is very sloppy and moves back and forth even when tightened down...I could go on. Anyhow, my money would have been better spent on a good steak dinner. For around $100 you can pick up a decent tripod at Best Buy. Our local store usually has a couple set up so you can see what you're buying. At that price they're alumunium and a little heavy.
01-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep in mind that camera bags only come in two sizes:
Too big and too small.

01-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ITech Quote
Thanks pxpaulx and Pentaxor, i will check the section for the information, and buy a tripod more than 50 bucks.

As for the review mentioned by pxpaulx, it's really useful, now i have to say, i have made my mind to ignore tripods below 100 bucks or even 150 bucks, the steeper, the better :-)
that's great. the reason I said atleast more than 50 bucks is that I usually buy used but in very good condition equipment. sometimes you'll find a heavy duty tripod for only 80 bucks which are sold for over 200 bucks. careful though since those things are quite heavy and are a pain in the neck especially during travel. a medium type would do you well during travel. those are usually sold for less than 100 bucks and the weight is quite tolerable. if you want something light, you need to spend more and get a carbon fibre type tripod, just make sure that the legs are sturdy enough to withstand any gust of wind. the most important thing in a tripod is it's sturdiness/balance.
01-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Keep in mind that camera bags only come in two sizes:
Too big and too small.
Oh so true but eventually in the end they all become too small..
01-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #11

I too am a beginner and looked around a lot before making my decision.

Like someone said bags are a personal choice. Brands I would recommend after a long search are Domke and Crumpler. I don't use backback-type bags only messenger-type.

Tripods, I would look hard in photography forums/craigslist in your area. I managed to find within days of starting what I wanted for fairly cheap, which was a like-new Manfrotto XPROB tripod for 100 bucks canadian, and then bought a manfrotto 486 RC2 Ballhead on sale on a store for 70, but I have seen it down for 50 on CL.
01-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I was looking for a tripod that wouldn't break the bank for me as a newbie, so I recently bought the Dolica AX620B100 from Amazon for $48 (Goldbox deal). They are on back order right now, but it may meet your budget.

I also got the Lowepro Sling 200AW which has worked really well. You can find them on Amazon too, cheaper than most other places. I recently took the bag with me on a snowboarding trip and it was really convenient. Despite the one large shoulder strap, there are two other straps that keep the bag in place. So even riding down the mountain i felt the bag and my camera were snug and secure. Plus, the "sling" feature to open the bag was was quick and convenient.
01-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #13

I also have the Dolica and the Lowepro 200AW.

I've only had the Dolica for a few days, seems like a good unit for the price. It will tide me over until I figure out what I really need. And since that will probably take me another year or two, I don't mind repeating the $50 investment.

I'm of mixed feelings about the 200AW bag. It's great for loading everything up for a trip, but I've found I prefer to travel really light when I'm shooting outdoors. So I tend to leave the 200AW locked in the trunk and carry what I want for the time being in an old Lowepro TLZ Mini (a small holster-style case with a strap) that I bought years ago to hold a Fuji 2800z. I don't know if Lowe even makes that model anymore.

It will hold my K100D + 18-55 (or a short prime) + filter + extra batteries and memory cards with ease, but it's a very tight fit with my Tamron 28-200 mounted. I plan on getting something a little deeper before spring hits.

I said all that to say this - you won't really know what kind of bag(s) you need until you figure out what really works for you. I think I'd just look for something inexpensive and well-padded to start. You can always use it to store extra lenses and bodies later. Because you'll probably accumulate a few!

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I was looking for a tripod that wouldn't break the bank for me as a newbie, so I recently bought the Dolica AX620B100 from Amazon for $48 (Goldbox deal). They are on back order right now, but it may meet your budget.

I also got the Lowepro Sling 200AW which has worked really well. You can find them on Amazon too, cheaper than most other places. I recently took the bag with me on a snowboarding trip and it was really convenient. Despite the one large shoulder strap, there are two other straps that keep the bag in place. So even riding down the mountain i felt the bag and my camera were snug and secure. Plus, the "sling" feature to open the bag was was quick and convenient.
01-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #14

Count me in as someone who loves the sling bag style. They are comfortable and I love that I can rotate mine on the move and get the gear I need without taking it off.

No one has mentioned that the Pentax lowepro knockoff is quite a nice bag for the price-- a few months ago it could be had from Amazon for $15 or so. It has been my main bag since I bought my Km and fits the camera, a mounted lens, a small prime, and another lens in the main compartment. Even if you have more lenses, if you plan ahead, this is enough for most outings. A steal at twice the price.
01-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #15

I use:

Backpack: National Geographic NG5159

Tripod: Manfrotto Modo Maxi

Both are highly recommended. I carry this is the bag:

Tripod, Kx body, Kit lens, Tamron 17-50mm, Tamron 70-300mm, external flash, batteries, cards, etc. + HD camcorder + personal gear: (sweater, sunglasses, bottle of water, etc.)

You can strap lots on the outside of the bag, so I could easily fit more...