Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #1

Setting up multiple Flashs

Hi to all.

I recently acquired 2 Metz 36 AF and was wanting to know if its possible to use these together with my K200D. Its for a couple of weddings i have booked and ill probably mount the flash on tripods with umbrella diffusers...........

Many Thanks Tom

01-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know what the trigger voltage of those flashes is. If it is low enough, you could connect them directly to your camera, perhaps with a hotshoe-PC adapter. A y-connector would let you connect both, simulataneously.

However, stringing PC cables at a wedding is asking for trouble, so some sort of remote triggering device would be preferable.

I don't suggest optical slaves. Use radio slaves instead. I was at a wedding once, and the "official" photographer had set up a couple of slaves on tall light stands, to capture the bridal party, as they made their way into the reception hall. Unfortunately (we found out later), his radio slaves were on the fritz and he was using optical slaves. This was unfortunate because, all the other guests were trying to get the same shots and the flashes from a couple of hundred point-and-shoot cameras kept setting off his slave flashes. He was pulling his hair out.

At the church, he had been able to keep the guests from shooting while he was, but he couldn't control them at the reception. The lesson I learned from that is that optical slaves are no good at large events where there are other photographers.
01-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
Many thanks for ur post man. I know of radio trigger my issues is how do i go about setting it up....
01-10-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sukibabe Quote
Many thanks for ur post man. I know of radio trigger my issues is how do i go about setting it up....
Your question is still not entirely clear.

Are you asking how to go about mounting the flash units on tripods?

Are you asking how to operate the flash units?

Are you asking about lighting ratios?

Any of those could be considered under the broad heading of "setting up".

01-10-2010, 04:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
AHHHHH yes i se, yer all of those points but more so how to go about setting the rigs up to take lighting conditions best hight for flash......many thanks
01-10-2010, 04:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sukibabe Quote
AHHHHH yes i se, yer all of those points but more so how to go about setting the rigs up to take lighting conditions best hight for flash......many thanks
My first recommendation would be to not undertake shooting weddings if you're still new to photography (as you mentioned in your other flash thread). I have an almost perfect track record of having my advice ignored, though, so we can both pretend I never said that if you like.

How much time are you going to have to get used to this and practice it? You don't want somebody's wedding to be your first go-round at this sort of thing.

Have you taken a look at the sections of the forum where there are threads about wedding photography? Lots of good advice from some experienced professional wedding photographers to had in those. I'd suggest seeking their advice. You'll likely have to go looking for it in those other sections, as the chance of their wandering through the Beginner's Corner is a bit low.

It is an age-old axiom that "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", but I am given to understand "like a woman whose wedding pictures got assed up" runs a close second.
01-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Strobist

A good online reference source for off-camera flash is a website called The Strobist.

Strobist

Check out "Lighting 101". It is a good introduction to the concept of off-camera flash.