Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Please help beginner - new lens testing

Hi, I was just testing the new lens (Tokina MF 75-300mm F4,5-5,6) and I m not sure (I m beginner) - is this lens "sharp" or "soft"? All photos taken from hand, in poor light conditions, snowing.

Attached Images

01-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I'm going to move this to the Beginners Forum, you'll get more help there. In the meantime, are the settings you included in the info the same for every shot?
For hand held they look as would be expected considering the focal length used. That isn't the way to test a lens though. You need to use a tripod to be sure.
01-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't say they're soft, they look sharp enough. The problem is they're way under-exposed and dark, so the details don't show up properly. You need to learn more about proper exposure to get your pictures looking right. But that's beyond the scope of this thread.
01-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Testing a lens for sharpness requires more than a few handheld snapshots in poor lighting conditions.
It's likely that any perceived image softness is due to camera shake, inaccurate focusing and large aperture settings all acting in combination.
Consider using a tripod, use the 2 sec shutter delay and good lighting conditions for adequate focusing on a reasonably flat and detailed subject.

01-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Testing a lens for sharpness requires more than a few handheld snapshots in poor lighting conditions.
Agreed. However, I don't think these pictures were all taken under poor light conditions at all. Some of them are clearly outdoors in daytime. "Overcast" is not a poor light condition. The picture is badly underexposed because the photographer is relying solely on the camera's light meter, thereby killing all detail.
01-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Everyone is right--the shots are underexposed and handheld, so not conducive to showing the lens' sharpness off. But, given the conditions, the shots look okay: the lens looks fine. Just practice some more, and, when out near 300mm with slower shutter speeds, use a tri-pod. Do not forget that lots of software is available to you to get better sharpness out of the pics.
01-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
However, I don't think these pictures were all taken under poor light conditions at all. Some of them are clearly outdoors in daytime. "Overcast" is not a poor light condition.
It's good enough light that shooting at a wide aperture and a somewhat higher than base ISO, you should be able to get a shutter speed fast enough to combat shake. But we don't actually know what aperture or ISO was used here. Shooting at, say, f/8 and ISO 100, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find shutter speeds *well* below 1/300".
01-09-2010, 09:29 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It's good enough light that shooting at a wide aperture and a somewhat higher than base ISO, you should be able to get a shutter speed fast enough to combat shake. But we don't actually know what aperture or ISO was used here. Shooting at, say, f/8 and ISO 100, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find shutter speeds *well* below 1/300".
Sorry, I didn't realise that info would get lost when I moved it. Info entered was -
ISO 400, Aperture 9.5, Shutter, 1/125s, FL 300mm

01-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Your pictures are soft (and very low contrast), but because of your poor shooting technique, you haven't pinned down how good or bad the lens is.