Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is what you see what you get?

Hi all
Went out this am to play.......
Using the Km and the kit lense at 18mm ( its pentax18 to 55) in manual....being very careful to line stuff up and get the whole thing in .........and my church spires are cut off at the tip?
Maybe I wasnt being careful enuf? or this something else?
BTw it was nearly 40deg ( over 40 now! OMG) and the contrasts were extreme!
I am sooo over summer!

40 deg c = 104 f.....
cheers
Jan

01-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm guessing you weren't being careful enough. The image should actually show a bit *more* than what you see in the viewfinder, not less. Most likely you mvoed slightly between the moment you lined up the shot and the moment you clicked the shutter - or even the motion of clicking the shutter pushed the camera down a little. Try it on a tripod.
01-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jan, it's very easy to assume you had everything in the frame when in fact you didn't.
Were you sure the entire spires were within the viewfinder's borders when you took the shot?
All dSLRs have at least all of what's viewed within the viewfinder included in the captured image.

edit: Marc beat me to it. Sorry for the repetition..
01-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm guessing you weren't being careful enough. The image should actually show a bit *more* than what you see in the viewfinder, not less. Most likely you mvoed slightly between the moment you lined up the shot and the moment you clicked the shutter - or even the motion of clicking the shutter pushed the camera down a little. Try it on a tripod.
Maybe I'm just a spaz but I seem to get more on the right and bottom than I do on the left and top. And that's taking the extra into consideration.

01-09-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.......I was pretty sure I had it right.......bugger
Actually I am a bit with Brit on this.......I tried very hard to get not much in the bottom but looking again there seems to be more than I had allowed for........
I guess I will just have to allow more at all the sides lol
cheers
Jan
01-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It's not unusual for viewfinders to cut a little off here, give a little extra there, and it will change from camera to camera.
Such is life with inexpensive SLR cameras.
01-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ricstew Quote
Thanks guys.......I was pretty sure I had it right.......bugger
Actually I am a bit with Brit on this.......I tried very hard to get not much in the bottom but looking again there seems to be more than I had allowed for........
I guess I will just have to allow more at all the sides lol
cheers
Jan

You haven't posted any samples, but my first guess is with Marc on this. It is very easy to push the camera down when pushing the shutter release. Careful technique can help prevent this.

I hold my K10D the same way I learned to hold my Spotmatic. I support the camera in the palm of my left hand. My left thumb and forefinger wrap around the lens and operate the zoom ring. My right hand stabilizes the camera, but does not really support the weight of the camera. My right thumb and forefinger operate the two thumbwheels. Then, I carefully squeeze the shutter release, being very careful that I do not push the camera down.

As Marc said, the viewfinder should show a little bit LESS than the final image. This is because most dslrs have 90-95 percent viewfinders, meaning that they only show 90-95 percent of the final image. A few, including the K-7, have 100 percent viewfinders.
01-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

With the K100Ds, it you take the pic in its usual horizontal mode then you will actually get more on the left and bottom, but it actually doesn't cut off anything that is already what you see on the viewfinder frame.

01-11-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the pointers guys
Too hot to go out and play today and will be worse tommorrow.........am waiting till it cools a little!
cheers
Jan
01-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

To test the framing, go take some photos of things with edges (architectural) so you know where you exactly framed and see in the computer where you get more of the frame than from what you just see on the viewfinder.
If you have the K7, then that has a 100% viewfinder, what you see is what you get!