Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pemfan Quote
I am about to take the plunge for my first DSLR. After narrowing it down to one of the micro-four-thirds (lumix gh1), the Canon ti1, and the k-x, I am pretty close to choosing the k-x but I have a few questions.

1. I think I will be relying on autofocus for a long time in the beginning. I will be photographing mostly indoors with little natural light, taking snapshots of my baby, toddler and dog. Will the lack of autofocus points in the viewfinder mean the k-x isn't the right camera for me?

2. There is a kx kit available with the 18-55 mm lens and a 55-200 lens. Is it sensible to get a start with these two types of lenses? Again I will be doing a lot of autofocus shots in the beginning.

thanks!
kids huh.

In that case you better practice more on the video function as well.

at a risk of lesser IQ, i recommend instead an all in one lens like the 18-250.

the last thing you want to do is be switching lens on "unexpected" moments.

01-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #17
Igilligan

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
kids huh.

In that case you better practice more on the video function as well.

at a risk of lesser IQ, i recommend instead an all in one lens like the 18-250.

the last thing you want to do is be switching lens on "unexpected" moments.

NO... for a new dslr owner. The Kx - 18-55 + 55-300 is the kit to get.

After a while the kids get tired of you taking their pics. Either that or every shot has some goofy face made. The longer lens is the one you will need to snap candids of them as they play in the back yard. Or park.

Since the Kx comes with a lens or lenses only. There is need to buy a one zoom option as it would be costly...!

And beyond the kit they will eventually need a fast normal lens anyway for indoor flashless shots. With the Kx that can be a f2.8 lens as that camera does ISO 3200 so well. but that is conversation for another day.

Right now, given the options available the $640 Kx+18-55 + 55-300 is without a doubt what a newbie with kids should get. Just my opinion... but correct non-the-less.
01-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, I agree the concern over missed shots from changing lenses is overstated. As I've mentoned elsehwere, we've all missed *millions" of shots over the year simply by not being in the right place at the right time, not having our camera with us, looking the wrong direction, missing our opportuntiy by shooting something else at that moment, the light not being good enough, photography not being allowed, whatever.

It's not rocket science to have the right lens on the cmaera to give you a decent likelihood of catching the sort of shot you expect to be getting based on the situation. Eg, don't sit around in your living room with the kids with the 55-300 mounted hoping an moose walks by across the street, unless of course that really is a regular occurence and you plan on staring out the window watching for it). Not that the 18-250 isn't a fine choice too, but given that the Tamron/Pentax one is discontinued and somewhat hard to find, and the Sigma rather more expensive, and the 18-55 + 55-300 kit is offered at an *amazing* price, I'd definitely recommend going that way.
01-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #19

Original Poster
To follow up, I am now eagerly awaiting my new blue k-x. I am going to start taking pix with the 18-55 that comes with it, then come back here to learn what other lens(es) will be right for future uses. (What with accessories like cards, batteries, etc, I already feel pretty "upsold" before even thinking about actual additional equipment like lenses!) Thanks and I look forward to seeing what this dslr can do!!

01-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #20

Original Poster
eek, I didn't see these good reviews of the 300...I just went ahead with the 18-55 and it should come tomorrow. At some point I'll have to see what's the next "right" lens and go for it then.