Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #1

My First DSLR

Hi all,
This is my first post to this forum and also my first DSLR, the Pentax K-X (black). Bought it form B&H w/ 18-55 and 55-300 and it also comes with a 4GB SDHC and a sling bag (back ordered). It has been a long search for me, it started about a year and a half or so ago while looking at the Canon XSi. Two of my brothers own Nikon D40 and the D90, a close friend of mine has the D5000. Never really asked the question of which is the better camera, simply "google" camera comparison pretty much you'll get an answer. I was really torn between the Canon T1i and the K-X. I was so sure I would get the T1i, that I joined Canon forums. It is really a great camera, got to play with it at bestbuy, costco and pretty much every where else. But no matter how I would like to love the T1i it doesn't feel comfortable in my hands. Then looking (on line only) at the K-X with positive reviews, I can't seem to find it anywhere, at the local military exhange there is a Pentax K2000 (read that it has an identical body). So one day I drove about 70 miles to Fry's electronics and behold there's a white K-X surrounded by Canons, Nikons, Sonys. I immediately fell in love with it. In my own opinion I can say fit and finish is better than the T1i and cheaper too. Can't say I missed those 11 AF indicators (I never had a DSLR before, which is a good thing for me) updated to latest FW just in case I'll have battery issues. I also bought 4 Sanyo eneloop w/ charger and 4 Rayovac 4.0 rechargeables. I'm so newbie with my new K-X that it is set in Auto mode maybe tomorrow I'll drop by Barnes and Nobles and get me a DSLR for dummies or if anyone can recommend a good book, I really do appreciate it much so I can start shooting.

01-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums and you ended your post on "the right note" *start shooting*,
Start by reading your manual and getting to know the features and controls of your memory maker, then just start shooting using the examples from your manual to get you going.

It's my opinion everything you need is basically online, tutorials, critiques, and inspiration. *Google is your friend*

Don't LOL but here's a good site for some info to get you going

Photography Tips, Insights and Inspiration from Nikon - Capture Your World
01-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations on your new camera

Glad you found the camera that hits the sweet spot. That's so personal, and your story shows the importance of actually holding a camera in your hand. I felt the same way about my K20D.

I recommend Scott Kelby's series of Digital Photography Books. There is a series of 3, titled The Digital Photography Book, then with volume numbers. Try the boxed set. Each book adds to the last so there's not a lot of repetition.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend A City in Photographs 365
01-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #4

Congrats on your first dslr. You made a good choice. My first dslr is the white K-m. It'll be a year in February since I've owned it. Welcome to the forums.

01-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Camgen.
You've chosen a fine camera kit - it'll satisfy you for a while to come. With time it'll only be lenses you'll realise that make the most important difference to your results.

Enjoy it and your time here.
01-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome! That camera you got is a very fine camera. Here you will find lots of people who are eager to assist you in your path to photographic nirvana.

WARNING: As you grow in skill and talent you'll find that LBA will eventually begin to set in. Don't worry it happens to the best of us, including me.
01-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi!, looking forward to great shots
01-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Just wanted to welcome you Camgen!
Just go out there and shoot!
There is no better learning than by experience.

01-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all for the welcome, I'm sure I'll enjoy my stay here as I'll enjoy my new camera.
01-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-X is my first DSLR and similar to you I was struggling whether to choose the Canon T1i over the K-X as well. I had actually bought the Canon off Amazon when they had were doing the $200 instant rebate for the body, 18-55, and 55-250mm kit lens. I bought it for $788, but then saw the similar K-X package for $644 through Amazon and promptly sent the Canon back.

I couldn't justify the more expensive Canon when the K-X did everything just as well for a lesser price. In addition, the Canon felt lighter and more like a toy, while the Pentax seemed more substantial. Plus, I was intrigued by the ability to use legacy lenses on the Pentax.

In any case, I'm really happy with my choice and love the amount of info in this forum. I've had the camera since Xmas and no longer use the Auto setting anymore. It's full manual for me now