Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #1

Single color accenturation

Hi Guys,

Have two questions after looking through some photographs.

I was wondering how do I create a photograph that is black and white, with a single color (or a group of color that is very similar). Ie a black and white photograph where only the red balloon is in color.

Secondly, I being reading on finding the hyperfocal length, and failed to understand its usefulness and the how to find part.

Can anyone please enlighten me on these?

I use a Pentax K200D. Thank you!

01-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Moved to Beginners Corner
01-11-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kkui Quote
Hi Guys,

Have two questions after looking through some photographs.

I was wondering how do I create a photograph that is black and white, with a single color (or a group of color that is very similar). Ie a black and white photograph where only the red balloon is in color.
In Photoshop:
Create a second layer, convert it to monochrome.
Erase that layer where you want the colour layer below it to show through.
If you do it with layer masks it is easier to go back if you make a mistake.
QuoteQuote:
Secondly, I being reading on finding the hyperfocal length, and failed to understand its usefulness and the how to find part.

It's an old school method of being able to shoot very quickly by bypassing the requirement to focus the lens.
Useful in street photography or very fast snapshooting. Somewhat less useful with fast AF cameras.
01-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you don't use Photoshop, maybe you could say what program you do use, and someone who knows that program could tell you how todo it in tha program. The general term is "selective saturation" (or "selective desaturation") if you want to Google for help.

As for hyperfocal distance, I wouldn't worry about it, but to expand on what Wheatfield says, the term refers to a distance you can focus at that will make everything be in focus (more or less) between there and infinity (the horizon). You'd use it if you want a picture that has as much as possible in focus. but it's not really quite the science it is sometimes made out to be; really, you'll do just as well kind of guesisng - select a reasonably small aperture (f/8 or f/11), focus somewhere off in the middle distance, and chance are you'll have a lot in focus.

01-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you have lightroom (or the lr 3.0 beta) you could download the following presets to achieve the effect:

Mithrandir's Lightroom Presets: Color Isolators
01-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
marc,
can you elaborate on the hyperfocal legnth question some more. i'm currently reading peterson's exposure book and he talks about depth of field scales on prime lenses. he goes on to say that even though many people aren't using these anymore, more current lenses (zoom) have distance settings that we can use instead.
the quote goes......

"and since every storytelling composition relies on maximum dof, you would first choose to set the aperture at f/22 and then align the distance above your distance-setting mark on the lens. Your focal legnth will determine which distance you choose."

while peterson continues to show examples of the compositions...he leaves the directions at that. my question is, who do i apply this to my lens and camera? take the kx kit 18-55 for example. where are my distance settings? my lens only shows the 18-55 focal legnth numbers. are these what i'm supposed to use as a distance setting?

just when i thought i was starting to figure this game out.......
edit: the exercise speaks of a depth of field preveiw button. does the k-x have this?

Last edited by Deiberson; 01-13-2010 at 09:30 AM.
01-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The kit lens doesn't have the hyperfocal markings. But like I said before, blow that off - it's just not important enough to worry about. You want a lot of DOF, set a small aperture like f/22 (although IQ suffers when you get that small). Aim somewhere between the closest thing you want in focus and the farthest, focus, and shoot. That's all there is to it. The hyperfocal distance stuff just gives you a way of quantifying exactly how much will be in focus, but even then, it's just kind of a rough guide. I'm sure there are web sites that will explain the process in excruciating detail, but given tht it isn't necessary, and your lenses doens't have the required markings, it just isn't worth the bother of looking it up.

DOF preview- yes, in the K-x custom menu, you can configure the green button to do that. Consult your manual.