Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #1

pentax kx shaking noise loud loud ?

i cant beleive no onews posting about these issues
yes i know i have read the threads...
when in live view the motor runs loud---does the volume of this motor differ from kx to kx or is it all similaror just one run ???
then
also in live view when in a quite situation holding the camera near your eye or even at chest level the camera makes loud noises as somethings loose-when you move the camera-shake it slightly-rock it--or just a plain simple lift to the face...
i know nothing is loose---it just
makes me feel like its going to break and it feels like im holding something cheap-----what is the deal with this--as i had 2 kx,s and they both sound this way??

01-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #2

This is noise from the shake reduction system working real-time (it is LIVE view after all), and is nothing to worry about.
If you want to record a video with sound you have to turn it off or the noises will mess up the sound recording.
01-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And FWIW, there have been *hundreds* of posts from people with new cameras wondering what that clunking noise is. It's the SR system, which requires the sensor to be free-floating. It's a sign of quality, not cheapness - it's cameras *without* SR that could more accurately be described as "something cheap".
01-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks guys--i know its a newbie question--i do love the camera though--
also my apologies for my typos--i do speak and write english--i was in pitch black darkness on a netbook...

08-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Inactive Account

My K-x also works in live-view like a coffee-grinder. And as I move it the noise is more disturbing. This makes video recording in silence quite spoiled.
And sorry. I have checked Nikon. And there is no noise in live-view
08-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by orlovszki Quote
My K-x also works in live-view like a coffee-grinder. And as I move it the noise is more disturbing. This makes video recording in silence quite spoiled.
And sorry. I have checked Nikon. And there is no noise in live-view
Obviously, because Nikon's don't have in body SR.
and you can turn it off
08-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lodewijk Quote
This is noise from the shake reduction system working real-time (it is LIVE view after all), and is nothing to worry about.
If you want to record a video with sound you have to turn it off or the noises will mess up the sound recording.
I made recently a short clip in a church tomb (in complete silence) and when I saw it at home I was shocked to hear such a loud background noise that everybody asked about it.
click this youtube clip I talk about.
(i posted it unlisted not to harm Pentax, but this background noise is truly unacceptable.)
Please do not make remarks on movie quality. This short clip was made only to demonstrate the noise made in sudden movements and in pour light.

08-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by orlovszki Quote
I made recently a short clip in a church tomb (in complete silence) and when I saw it at home I was shocked to hear such a loud background noise that everybody asked about it.
click this youtube clip I talk about.
Ned Bunnel commented about this in his blog when the K7 was released. The background noise is from the shake reduction system and, unfortunately, there is no way to actually turn the shake reduction off (even when switched off, it is still needed to hold the sensor in position).
The only alternative is to use an external microphone, since the camera itself is not capable of completely silent operation.
It's something we have to live with to get the advantage of shake reduction with every lens.
08-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #9

It's a camera prepared to take photos, recording is just a plus for when you spot aliens or a hamster smoking.

I'll make a ... (which is the word in english for a few minutes film?) with the K-x in a few weeks. When finish i'll give you an example of the noise, i guess.
08-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I tell you, SR has saved my bacon a few times with some difficult shots, for me it can make all the noise it wants as long as it works.
08-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
unfortunately, there is no way to actually turn the shake reduction off (even when switched off, it is still needed to hold the sensor in position).
This isn't entirely true. You can switch it off so it doesn't try to compensate for movement and should be absolutely silent. I've made many video clips in absolute silence and could not hear the SR centering the sensor while SR is disabled. Maybe if you shake like a paint mixer, you could hear it in the recording.

As for getting SR for video, I think we'll have to buy lenses with silent anti-shake built into them, like Sigma's OS lenses.
08-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got my second K-x, and neither has the SR clink sound.
08-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If you mean the clunk of the sensor shifting around, you're mistaken - both of your K-x's do this. You just have either lost some hearing, haven't tested in a quiet enough environment, or else haven't figured out the right way to turn the camera to enable you to hear it. All Pentax DSLR's with SR make this sound. No exceptions. But not everyone always hears it.
08-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you mean the clunk of the sensor shifting around, you're mistaken - both of your K-x's do this. You just have either lost some hearing, haven't tested in a quiet enough environment, or else haven't figured out the right way to turn the camera to enable you to hear it. All Pentax DSLR's with SR make this sound. No exceptions. But not everyone always hears it.
You know what--on this one, I HEAR IT!

And although this has been debated here before, it's not a clunk to me. Just something shifting a little.

Wow--it's a b*tch getting old.
08-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tehSancho Quote
I'll make a ... (which is the word in english for a few minutes film?) .
"Clip".