Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
HAHA, only the best spray cans will do.

Right now I just want to learn and experience. Im a typical "poor college kid" so in the future I will definitely be getting better lenses. For now though I have about 60 bucks to play with so I think I am going to get a macro tube for my 28-80, get a 100-300 or a 100-500 and a 2x teleconverter and maybe a filter kit.

Any other recommendations for gaining experience on a budget.

Thanks guys

01-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by MikesChevelle Quote
HAHA, only the best spray cans will do.

Right now I just want to learn and experience. Im a typical "poor college kid" so in the future I will definitely be getting better lenses. For now though I have about 60 bucks to play with so I think I am going to get a macro tube for my 28-80, get a 100-300 or a 100-500 and a 2x teleconverter and maybe a filter kit.

Any other recommendations for gaining experience on a budget.

Thanks guys
Take pictures. Learn to work with what's on hand. Buy the best you can afford when you can afford. I started with a K1000 and a 50/1:2 and got proficient with it back in the 70's. Spent tons on film. A lot of film. Slowly and with practice I got good. I added stuff as I could but it took time.
01-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #18

Original Poster
So if I stick with the lens I have and get a teleconverter and a macro tube a maybe a filter kit.............................................any thoughts. I can get those for about 35 together on ebay right now.
01-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #19

Original Poster
Quick question on tubes, If my lens has a min of 2.3 feet for focusing, how much closer focus will I get with a 3 ring tube set up?

Thanks

01-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikesChevelle Quote
So if I stick with the lens I have and get a teleconverter and a macro tube a maybe a filter kit.............................................any thoughts. I can get those for about 35 together on ebay right now.
My thoughts is, you will have spent 35 Euros and to gain the ability to take worse pictures than you'd have taken without the cheap TC and filters. You're better off on both counts by keeping your money in your wallet and the TC and filters on the store shelves - unless you have some special need for a special filter, like maybe a polarizer to help control reflections or something.

As for the macro tube, note that most don't support lenses without aperture rings. If your lens has an "A" position on its aperture ring and you are accustomed to using it, you'll probably have to learn to shoot without it. But sure, if you want to take macro shots, tubes are one way of doing so.

If you want to know how the tubes affect focus distance, that's actually kind of harder to compute, as it depends on the focal length of the lens as well. For a lens of focal length Xmm, then Xmm of tubes will give you 1:1 magnification when focused to infinity. You'd need one of those magnification ratio calculators you can find online to tell you what actual focus distance that would work out to be. But that's just at infinity focus on the lens - you could still focus the lens closer. There's probably a formula to help work that out, but it's probably pretty complicated.
01-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #21

Original Poster
thanks you marc for the advice