Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

Handled a K7 today

So I had time to use a k7 today, and I felt it much nicer to use than my kx. This was because of how it felt physically, the viewfinder, as well as having more buttons to switch betweens different modes without going into the menu. Now I am pondering if it is worth selling my k-x, with the lens from the kit (18-55) to purchase a k-7, or if it is worth it. This may be more of a rant, but if anyone has an educated opinion on switching, and if it would be a good decision or bad, would be appreciated. Thanks

01-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Well, it really depends on your needs. That is why such questions are hard to answer. I have nice jeans, should I trade them for slacks? Depends where I'm going

The K-7 is a higher-end camera, this does not mean better image quality unlike most people think but more controls. Controls allow people who use them operate faster. This is true of any brand. Trading a Canon T1i for a 7D would give you the same impression. If you keep the camera mostly on Auto or P, the buttons may not buy you much.

Weather-sealing is the other big difference, you can take the K-7 into the rain and snow, although don't go too far because you can't use AA batteries withou the battery grip, so it is not for places where you are without power for days.

The last major are the things that make the K-7 a more precise tool. The 100% coverage viewfinder is for example essential for precise framing. Once with one, it is impossible to live without.

- Itai
Digital Camera Buying Guide, Photography Articles and Reviews | NeoCamera.com
01-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I had both the K7 and Kx at the same time (for a short period of time) and agree that the K7 had a much better overall feel. That is somewhat subjective I suppose, but for me it just felt right. The grip, the extra controls, the viewfinder, the rear LCD screen all were superior to the Kx. That being said, I ended up keeping the Kx and returning the K7 for two main reasons. [1]. I shoot a lot of high ISO, low light indoor pictures and liked the extra 1-2 stops I felt I gained with the Kx vs the K7. [2] The price difference (I paid) was substantial; $1115 for the K7 body vs $365 for the Kx body. So I returned the K7 and put the extra $750 into nice glass, which I will have whenever the K7x, K8, K9, etc is released.
01-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Dutch, I clicked on your posting history and re-read your first few posts. So, here is a bit of my history and you can extrapolate on it....

Back in 1970 the Navy taught me how to photograph shipboard antennas at sea (my specialty was jamming radars). They gave me a suitcase of Nikon - body and lenses to use, and said go forth and photograph what you are listening to. I picked up a Pentax Spotmatic for myself - that I still have. 4 years (now just about 5) ago I started up in photography again, with a K100 because it had in body stabilization. The value in photography is in the lenses, bodies come and go - lenses are always usable (well at least Pentax lenses). The K100 taught me the basics again, its a great little simple camera (that I still have and use) and last May I upgraded to the K20 for a number of reasons, but for $650 the price was right (plus a 3 year warranty). Prior to that, I carefully selected lenses in the areas that supported my interests (wide angle landscapes).

Personally, I would keep the KX and save the difference in cost. The KX is a very nice and extremely capable camera. Do you really - really need the extra controls? Will you actually use them? Put a plan together - based on growing out of your KX and when the time is right (prices drop dramatically right after the announcement of a new model, when Pentax wants to clear their inventory). If there isn't a feature on the new body that you absolutely need (for instance, the introduction of stabilization) then really consider picking up the body that is being replaced - rather than chasing and paying a premium for the new technology.

Now, that is just me. Your needs may be different, however from what you initially wrote - you are just starting out, and a couple of years on the KX would really help you determine what you really want to do. Consider leapfrogging a model or two (its a lot easier on the checkbook). There are a lot of folks here that do not post that often still using *ist, K10s, etc. They are still very capable cameras, that are still extremely serviceable. Its about taking pictures not acquiring equipment.

Another item to consider - benjikan posts here pretty often. He is a top fashion photographer in Paris. He can use any camera he wants - and among his selection are a few Pentax K20s. He has not upgraded because he says that it does everything he needs them to do. For me, that was a very interesting item to consider.

For me the K20 was a significant upgrade. Its an easy 4+ year camera. It is so much beyond my skill level, that it may very well be my last camera body. There are things that I wish it could do - higher ISO at times, but I just put it on a tripod and use a longer shutter time - and at ISO 100 I capture a much higher quality picture. Figuring out how to do things with your present equipment - I think, makes you a better photographer, as it forces you to understand the fundamentals of photography and work around the current impediment that is in your way. Usually, in doing so, you discover something new, that is useful - or another approach or way of looking at it, or considering what you are trying to do.

... so, off my soap box now.

01-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your imputs, but I have decided to go with the k7
Here are my reasons
1. Today it snowed, and during my walk (which I wanted to bring my camers) I had seen some thigs I wish I would have been able to capture. I wouldnt have ever berought my camera out not being WR,
2. I plan on going skiing with friends and recording the entire event. I would not trust myself to bring a non wr camers (whether 20d or k7 ect)
3. A friend showed me a picture he got on his sony camera (was on his computer). It was out of a fish-pat or spray going over the ship. that one day with his non WR P&S ruined his camera, and I would feel bad for the kx if it had happened to me (which it probably would have - if I was stupid enough to go out i SS6)

The ease of controls would be nice, but a luxury (which I now understand, and not necessary), but the need for WR is important to me, to prevent me from stopping when I could take photos. The reason for photography (for me) is to show my family (who doesn't travel and is far from me) what I am doing, and if I cannot bring a camera into the area I am working, or living, then I might as well not take pictures at all.

Interested Observer
Thanks for your insight into learning the skill and ways around problems that may arise in photography. I do not "need" the extra controls, but see I need the WR. May I ask when you left (if you have) the navy, and what trade you were, and where you were posted? I have not seen much of the US Navy. Only Norfolk Virginia, Mayport Florida (was able to see USS John F Kennedy before she left) and the Bahamas (which there were 2 US cruisers)
01-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
Igilligan

Hey If you got the money, and obviously you do. Why not go for the K7, you want WR, and can afford the few WR lenses that are actually available then it really makes sense.

I have used my K100 and old MF lenses in snow before and had no problem, in fact we did a SF meet-up one day in the rain and none of us had WR stuff... but If I was spending my time on the bow of boat... WR it would be.

You know one other option is to keep the K-x and pick up a used K20 for 450 bucks or so. You get the same IQ and WR... and you still have the KX for hi ISO indoor stuff and for when you dont want to carry the heavier stuff around....
01-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duch Quote
So I had time to use a k7 today, and I felt it much nicer to use than my kx. This was because of how it felt physically, the viewfinder, as well as having more buttons to switch betweens different modes without going into the menu. Now I am pondering if it is worth selling my k-x, with the lens from the kit (18-55) to purchase a k-7, or if it is worth it. This may be more of a rant, but if anyone has an educated opinion on switching, and if it would be a good decision or bad, would be appreciated. Thanks
Duch,
Like you, I shoot often outdoor, with motion and actions. I want the weather resistance and continuous shooting at high rate, and the K-7 is definitely better than the K-x for these. I bought the K-7 over the K-x, 500D and D90 and I have no regret.

From you posts, I would recommend the K-7 because of it wide range of options, its superb viewfinder, the weather resistance and the continuous shooting characteristics.

If money is not an issue, you should go for the K-7 with the 18-55WR kit lens. This is a good value kit if you want this lens. However you may think carefully of the lens(es) that you need. Do you want a first lens? Do you want to go to a few select primes? Do want a all-rounder super zoom like a 18-250mm?

*If you indeed want simply a first lens for now, go for the 18-55WR kit lens with camera body. You will have a complete WR package.
*On the other hand, if you want an all-rounder lens, the Pentax 18-250mm and Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM are the best choices. The Sigma is more expensive, but the Pentax is discontinued; you can still get it second hand. Since the K-7 has in-camera SR, the Pentax is probably the better choice: it is one of best ultra zoom lens and the K-7 recognise the lens, allowing lens correction in-camera.
*Lastly you may consider a few select primes. There are many relevant threads at Pentaxforums.com {https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/}. The image quality with the better prime lenses can be astonishing.

I hope that these comments can help... Good shooting with your K-7!
01-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I am going to get a K-7, I didn't consider a K-x because of the lack of control. I find I need to change settings quickly, sometimes without looking, and I wouldn't consider not having a top LCD, two finger wheels, etc.

You can still take great images with any camera, but greater control is one major area where higher-class cameras excel over entry-level DSLRs.

QuoteOriginally posted by Itai Quote
you can take the K-7 into the rain and snow, although don't go too far because you can't use AA batteries withou the battery grip, so it is not for places where you are without power for days.
I've taken my K10D where I have no power for a few days. I'd rather carry spare camera-dedicated batteries than AA batteries. I don't have or want a battery grip due to size, but have two spare batteries. That can power the camera for quite a long time (although of course you can't buy camera batteries as easily if AAs, you need to be prepared with a charged one).

01-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #9
Igilligan

I was with you for minute....

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Duch,
Like you, I shoot often outdoor, with motion and actions. I want the weather resistance and continuous shooting at high rate, and the K-7 is definitely better than the K-x for these. I bought the K-7 over the K-x, 500D and D90 and I have no regret.

From you posts, I would recommend the K-7 because of it wide range of options, its superb viewfinder, the weather resistance and the continuous shooting characteristics.

If money is not an issue, you should go for the K-7 with the 18-55WR kit lens. This is a good value kit if you want this lens. However you may think carefully of the lens(es) that you need. Do you want a first lens? Do you want to go to a few select primes? Do want a all-rounder super zoom like a 18-250mm?

*If you indeed want simply a first lens for now, go for the 18-55WR kit lens with camera body. You will have a complete WR package.
*On the other hand, if you want an all-rounder lens, the Pentax 18-250mm and Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM are the best choices. The Sigma is more expensive, but the Pentax is discontinued; you can still get it second hand. Since the K-7 has in-camera SR, the Pentax is probably the better choice: it is one of best ultra zoom lens and the K-7 recognise the lens, allowing lens correction in-camera.
*Lastly you may consider a few select primes. There are many relevant threads at Pentaxforums.com {https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/}. The image quality with the better prime lenses can be astonishing.

I hope that these comments can help... Good shooting with your K-7!
Oh, you had me for a few sentences... but then you recommend the Kit lens... and some 18-250's that are not much better... If you are gonna get bottom end consumer zooms... what the heck does someone need all that camera control for??? Spend $1000+ on a body and recommend the kit lens... I don't care if it is WR or not it is a kit lens. My point and shoots out resolves those lenses.

Just kidding... feeling kind of dickish tonight...
01-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I am enjoying the lenses I am currently using, and eventually will be purchasing better glass. The stock WR lens will do for now, that is unless Igilligan.. If you have some nice glass to donate to a new photographer lol
01-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
Igilligan

I got no WR lenses

No WR lenses and I am obviously very jealous....

It has been raining in SF for three weeks!!!!!
01-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Two weeks.

I've told you a million times before "Don't exaggerate".
01-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
Igilligan

haha... Gary you are the smartest man I know, and the kindest....
01-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
No WR lenses and I am obviously very jealous....

Who is the be jealous?! I have seen your profile, and you have more lenses than Jesus has miracles!
01-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #15
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Duch Quote
Who is the be jealous?! I have seen your profile, and you have more lenses than Jesus has miracles!
WTF are you talking about?

Smokey Robinson had the Miracles and he only had four of them.