Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Advise needed - Is this CPL worth Buying?

Any suggestions?

58mm Circular Polarizing CPL Filter For Canon Pentax OM - eBay (item 270505390016 end time Jan-22-10 01:27:22 PST)

01-12-2010, 01:51 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
My experience with cheap (C)PL is negative, so I wouldn't recommend you. My cheap toshiba CPL can only fade (not remove) reflection slightly, no matter how much I turn it around, and no matter where I position myself relative from the reflecting surface.. It's my only CPL though so maybe I did something wrong :ugh:

But anyway I plan to buy better, multicoated CPL soon, maybe from Kenko or Hoya because they have more reasonable price (for me). My point is, buy from well known brand, and get a multicoated (MC) one.
01-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I suppose it depends on how much you are planning to use it. I'm sure that would turn the sky blue, but probably wouldn't cut reflections very much. Truthfully, I seldom use a circular polarizing filter, but buying a brand name is worth it here.
01-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I bought a cheap one from China, and only used it once. It made all the pictures that I took that day very soft. I'd get another one, but I would only buy a brand name one next time.

01-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, it's your 5 bucks. It may be good or it might be a reject from the cheap sunglasses factory. A good filter will be made from high quality optical glass and will not be dirt cheap. My last experience with a cheap CPL wasn't too good. It currently finds use as a lens cap. The price of this one is cheaper than a lens cap so it won't end up as a total waste of money.
01-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
if it wasn't for the comment by romdeck that it turns the pictures soft, I might have thought about buying it as lens protection. I know it's obviously not high quality optics but does it really noticeably soften your photos?
01-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joodiespost Quote
if it wasn't for the comment by romdeck that it turns the pictures soft, I might have thought about buying it as lens protection. I know it's obviously not high quality optics but does it really noticeably soften your photos?
I was taking pictures with one of my sharper lenses, and was using a tripod, and as far as I was concerned the pictures were a right off. Lucky I only paid approx $10 for it, so it's not a big loss, but I still couldn't really save the shots. I've still got them if you want to see a sample.
01-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
please see recent thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/85670-polarizing-filter.html

and also we've had some pretty comprehensive discussions about the merrits (or not) of different polarizers. You'll find them with the search function.

Ben