Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Snowboarding with a K10D - lens advice

Hello!

I have recently (<6 months) bought a K10D, which came with the stock 18-55 lens and I also bought a manual 50 f2 lens, which is great fun.

I am going skiing for a few weeks this season and am looking for advice on a lens to take with me for some action shots in the snow.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Many thanks

Last edited by sheylings; 01-12-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: aesthetic
01-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
here are some that i took yesterday with the 55-300mm lens from my kit. maybe not the sharpest (pilot error), but considering the distance that my friend took the pics at...i was happy with the outcome. overall, i enjoy the lens for outdoor use and the range it offers.

01-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Considering it will be outside with you alot, the new 50-200mm WR weather resistant lens (and possibly the 18-55mm WR to replace your kit lens) would make good choices. You could also step upto the DA* lenses, but those have a price to match!

The 50-200mm WR can be found on ebay for a hair under $200 from prodigital2000, a reputable reseller based in Canada (still fast shipping, no duty) - it is also buy it now, meaning you can get an additional 8% off using bing cashback.

Edit: the 55-300mm as mentioned above is also a great lens, but not as compact as the 50-200 (which would probably be a consideration if you'll be snowboarding with it!); it is also close to twice the price, unless you can find a good used one on ebay or in the marketplace.
01-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I take a good bit of skiing shots (snowboarding too). I use a Sigma 70-300 with good results. The DA55-300 would be a good choice also as would the Tamron 70-300. Depending on how close you want to get (or can get), the 18-55 kit lens can be useful also, especially in halfpipes and terrain parks. Freeskiers and snowboarders like shots of big air and getting in close with a wide angle can enhance that look. I would suggest doing that with folks who know you are there for safety reasons, both for them and you.

01-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The typical snowboarding action shots you will see in magazines are mostly taken at short distances with wide angle lenses (often fish-eye) and fill-flash, to avoid the underexposure you see in the posted example shots.

If you want to be part of the action, if you want to capture the action from inside, you need a good wide angle lens for that. The 10-17mm fish-eye zoom is in all probablity (I do not have that lens, I use a Sigma 10-20) the ideal lens for that. Or for better image quality down to the pixel level something like the DA 15mm would be fine.

Ofcourse that would not only require being very near to the action, it is inherently dangerous and you need to be a skilled snowboarder or skier yourself, to make the best out of that position.

The tele lenses recommendation is useful for taking shots from a distance. This is ofcourse also an option and can provide some interesting opportunities and really impressive shots. But it is a type of photography less "involved" as seems to be typical for snowboarding shots.

Ben

EDIT: Somehow I took "skiing" for snowboarding… Sorry. If pure downhill skiing is meant, than you will in all probability have (and need) more distance between you and the subjects, in which case the role of a medium to long tele photo lens is more important.
01-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

ben,
the pics were taken in auto mode (sports). to avoid the underexposure, would i have been better off using manual mode and following the light meter while using a faster shutter speed/smaller ap?
01-12-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have been skiing with my 16-50 and 50-135 lenses. The biggest problem with them is size. I actually enjoyed skiing with the DA 70 a lot more -- smaller size, although less flexibility. A lot depends how often you fall down. Falls are not kind to lenses (not worried so much about the body).

As far as shooting, use +.7 to 1 EV compensation and your photos should turn out pretty well. I usually use Av mode, with and aperture of 4 - 5.6.
01-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deiberson Quote
ben,
the pics were taken in auto mode (sports). to avoid the underexposure, would i have been better off using manual mode and following the light meter while using a faster shutter speed/smaller ap?
The correct exposure in snow is always tricky and you have done well in so far, as you haven't lost details neither in the shadow (well, you perhaps lost some texture in the trousers)nor in the highlights area. So the raw-material is fine. On my calibrated monitor the images just look very dull and could need some more contrast and brightness to bring out the sparkle of snow.

In any Auto-setting the camera will tend to underexpose a snow-scene and your lightmeter will tend into the same direction, unless you use either a grey card for measuring or you use an external lightmeter for metering the incident light. My general rule is to use Auto with +1 or +1.5 EV correction permanently set. The amount of correction does obviously change with the light and gets higher the more contrast the scene has.

Another option is to set the camera meter in M-mode to spot metering and take a reading off the face of your subject. THat leads in many cases to a very good exposure. But spotmetering can also to gross mistakes, if you use it generally. I personally prefer the simple correction setting.

Ben