Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Just got an *ist DL

So, today I bought an *Ist DL, found it for a decent price so I thought to myself - Why not? And here it is, looking all nice and stuff.

So what does this reard want you're thinking now - I want it all! I want any and all tips you can give me on using the *Ist DL so I can get the most out of it! Settings, inställningar, whatever you may call it.

So hook me up! And thanks for looking!

01-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Did you get a manual with the camera. Reading that would be the first and best step. Settings are subjective, play around with them until you get the look you want. You will probably find that you vary the settings according to what you are photographing.
01-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Let me know what you find out and visa versa as I just picked up a ist DL as well
01-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Damn Brit

BTW, if you didn't get a manual with the camera, you will be able to find a PDF version online from Pentax.

01-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
You're damn right! Found a manual in the box. Actually it was on top of the camer, but you know, I'm lazy so I probably won't bother reading it. Or maybe I will? Probably will. I'll probably learn something new about the K-x as well.

Any tips on what would be the best AF lens for it under $40 used? Was thinking the FA 35-80 if it does'nt get sniped. I'm just trying to see if it is possible to get a complete package under SEK1000 that takes good pictures. That's $140 USD, but more like $100 USD fi we count the fact that everything is way cheaper in the US compared to Sweden.

It performs pretty well with the 50-135 I have to say :-)
01-12-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Read the manual - it makes a big difference.
Enjoy your gear.
01-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by maximm Quote
You're damn right! Found a manual in the box. Actually it was on top of the camer, but you know, I'm lazy so I probably won't bother reading it. Or maybe I will? Probably will. I'll probably learn something new about the K-x as well.
You'll find forum members are a lot more helpful to those who bother to find out as much as they can on their own.
If you don't read the manual, all of the questions you are going to ask have been asked many, many times before, all you have to do to find those answers is read a couple of pages of this forum (Beginners Corner).
If you do read the manual, you will probably know the right questions to ask to enable your photography to improve.
01-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I tried reading the manual but my German is not what it used to be. I mostly wanted to know if there were any magic settings I just needed to know.

It is quite useless in low light compared to the k-x, but i don't really know what i was expecting. ISO1600 is quite decent and can actually be used, but 3200 has too much noise.

01-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is quite useless in low light compared to the k-x, but i don't really know what i was expecting. ISO1600 is quite decent and can actually be used, but 3200 has too much noise.
Well the AF and auto-white-balance are slow and inaccurate in low-light, it's true, and ISO3200 looks pretty bad. Yep. Got lots of great shots with ISO1600 though (mine was a DS, but pretty much the same).
01-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I tried reading the manual but my German is not what it used to be. I mostly wanted to know if there were any magic settings I just needed to know.

Don't use ISO 3200, that is for sure. You could end up with terrible pictures like the one below. ISO 3200 with a DS and kit lens. Just don't under expose or the dark areas can have noise.

Tim
01-12-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Any tips on what would be the best AF lens for it under $40 used?
Only one likely to be worth buying is the 18-55 the camera was originally sold with.
01-13-2010, 02:15 AM   #12

I have the swedish manual as a pdf if you want it. (You can probably find it online as well, but send me a PM and I'll mail it to you)