Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens Hood

I need a lens hood but I am not quite sure where to pick one up, at the store when I purchased my K-x doesn't even carry the PENTAX lens hoods nor any lens hoods for that matter... and that was Black's Photography here in Canada...

I know PENTAX webstore has it <<< but it's out of stock and rather pricey :-S (and BHPhotoVideo is out of stock too)

Then I decided to go cheap, and purchased one from DealExtreme, here's the link ---- but it wont screw in, the "thread" is melted and cheaply made, not to mention the smell of the plastic :-S

Then I am considering this one, found on eBay ----

Any advice?

P.S. The lens I'm using is the smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm F3.5-5.6AL zoom lens

and I find it annoying how manufacturer's are so cheap NOT to include one... kind of like printer's are always sold without a USB cable, how annoying is that!!!

Last edited by moonman; 01-12-2010 at 07:55 PM.
01-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FWIW, it's only the "L" versions of the kit lenses on Pentax (sold with the K-x) that lack hoods. Unlike other manufacturers, most other lenses (including the regular versions of the kit lenses, sold with pretty much all other models) do incude hoods.

But anyhow, the link you posted appears to be the one others have recommended as a suitable replacement for the Pentax hood.
01-13-2010, 01:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One general advice: don't buy the cheap plastic or even metal hoods Made in India - go for something from China. I have bought several different Indian made accessories (Sonia brand), like simple lens back and front caps, and nothing fits! They are even unable to get the precise diameter right...

Ben
01-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the one you posted from eBay and it works great!

01-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are a couple of things that you need to consider if you are purchasing a aftermarket hood.

there is a link I have posted for a spread sheet called Hoodcalc.exe that gives the means to calculate how long a hood should be to avoid vignetting.

the best hoods I have seen are from germany.
01-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the white K-x and there was of course no lens hood with the lens.

I found this on eBay, and just recieved it two days ago. It works just as well as the original lens hood for the original DA 18-55 that came with my old K10D did.

PH-RBA 52mm Lens Hood for Pentax K200D K20D K10D K-M KM - eBay (item 270451880094 end time Feb-01-10 01:09:57 PST)

Not sure if it's cheap for you, for me in Norway, it's about 38 USD cheaper, so it's quite a bit for me.
01-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You know this irks me, my kit len CAME with a lenshood when i got the K200D and this was at premium pricing and it was still there when prices dropped, i hope Pentax isn't going to follow the others now especially since raising prices

The only non-Pentax lenshood i've had to get 3rd party was for my FA 50, it was a painless find off Ebay (rainbow wan)
01-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
Damn Brit

WTF is a LENSHOOD thread doing being left in the DSLR forum?

Thread moved.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-13-2010 at 09:55 AM.
01-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #9

Try DX, they have a lot of stuff, cheap en most of the time very good, and best of all, free shipping

DealExtreme: Search for lens hood (200 products in 21 categories)

I have ordered very often things at DX, they are not very fast, takes some 2 to 3 weeks before you recieve you're order, but they are very reliable.
01-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
@Marc Sabatella - thanks, I didn't know that...
@Lowell Goudge - thanks, I'll look into it
@Damn Brit - I'm new... a lens hood is associated with DSLR cameras so why move the post? Next time look and think twice before saying WTF, there's no need for that, esp. since that was my second post. No wonder you were banned from DPR... you have an attitude problem, sad to see a loser like that in the Pentax community.
@Sakura - I got the one from DX, the diameter is off...

Last edited by moonman; 01-23-2010 at 04:41 PM.
01-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by moonman Quote
it
@Damn Brit - I'm new... a lens hood is associated with DSLR cameras so why move the post? Next time look and think twice before saying WTF, there's no need for that, esp. since that was my second post. No wonder you were banned from DPR... you have an attitude problem, sad to see a loser like that in the Pentax community.
It wasn't aimed at you so please don't take offense. There's a lot to figure out in the forum and we make allowances for that.
A lens hood is associated with lenses and there's a separate forum for that. We try and keep things separated out because it makes things easier when people are searching for stuff. Some threads (especially from new members) get put in the Beginners forum if it's thought that the information contained in them will be more useful there.

As for my being banned from DPR, that was a deliberate thing to prove a point and unrelated to the Pentax community.

Anyway, Welcome to the forum.