Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #1

k-x: setting the program line preference

Hi,

I have (I hope) a really simple question - how do you set your preference from program line in the k-x?

I have been through the manual 5 dozen times and searched here and elsewhere and can't find anything. Everything states that P mode sets aperture/speed according to the program line, and I have seen references to the different setting available, but just can't work out how to set a preference (e.g. MTF preference, DOF high and low etc.)

Cheers,
Ant

01-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding is that a program line is just a combination of shutter speed and aperture that matches the currently metered exposure.
In program mode the camera seems to initially select a combination at a mid point and attempts to ensure shutter speed is an appropriate minimum speed for current lense focal length if at all possible (obviously not possible if light is such that the aperture can not be opened any further).

From the initial point it is possible to change program line up / down using the thumb wheel (assuming it is not maxed out).
01-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
ASFAIK - the Kx does not allow the user to set the Program line to MTF, DOF High, etc.... Unlike the K7.

It does allow Program shift using the e-dial.
01-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The program line is the camera's preference for exposure (shutter speed/aperture) for a given scene. Are you trying to understand where this is applicable? In Manual mode (M) you can press the green button, and the camera will automatically adjust to the camera's recommended shutter/aperture values - the program line.

In P mode, the rear dial can be used to change the program values (i.e. adjust to a different shutter speed/aperture). The green mode will then return the camera to the 'recommended values'. Alternately, the rear dial can also be set to adjust aperture only in P mode as well - this gives immediate control over aperture, while leaving the camera to choose the shutter speed value.

If you are looking to set what the rear dial adjusts in P mode, I believe that is in the sub-menu relating to the green button, not sure as the camera isn't with me ATM.

Bnorikane is right, you can't adjust the camera's program line as with the K7 - with the K-x, it uses the default 'best option' the camera thinks will get the photo right. With the K7, you can set it to a number of preferences, as was previously noted.

01-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ahh, ok. I was looking for K7 style settings on my K-x, thanks for your help everyone!