Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
reversing SMC PENTAX-M 50mm 1:1.7 and SMC PENTAX-M 28mm 1:2.8

which lens will give greater magnification with sharp picture. is it better to use x3 or x2 teleconverter plus reverse?

01-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Damn Brit

The wider the lens, the greater the magnification when reversed so in this case, 28mm will be the greater.
If you want to reverse I would suggest extension tubes over teleconverters, there is no IQ loss due to extra glass that way.
Sharpness would be mainly dependent on your focusing skills. A tripod should be considered a necessity and a macro focusing rail would also help. To focus with reversing rings you have to move the camera to focus.
01-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The wider the lens, the greater the magnification when reversed so in this case, 28mm will be the greater.
If you want to reverse I would suggest extension tubes over teleconverters, there is no IQ loss due to extra glass that way.
Sharpness would be mainly dependent on your focusing skills. A tripod should be considered a necessity and a macro focusing rail would also help. To focus with reversing rings you have to move the camera to focus.
thank you very much! i will take your advice!
01-13-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
Damn Brit

You're welcome. Extension tubes are cheaper as well.

12-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not been able to use extension tubes or bellows with my Pentax K-x. It seems that I loose lots of light and cannot focus. I set the aperture in PERMITTED, but still do not see. Is there anything I can do? I have successfully used the converter 2x with my Pentax M 50mm f4 to get a nice macro, but with the 31 mm extension I cannot focus and it is dark. Can you comment please?
12-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great! I got all my lenses packed up ready to move and this site is constantly inspiring me to play in photography. Damn you Pentax!
12-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I have not been able to use extension tubes or bellows with my Pentax K-x. It seems that I loose lots of light and cannot focus. I set the aperture in PERMITTED, but still do not see. Is there anything I can do? I have successfully used the converter 2x with my Pentax M 50mm f4 to get a nice macro, but with the 31 mm extension I cannot focus and it is dark. Can you comment please?
With an ordinary bellows or cheap macro tubes, your M-type lens should be uncoupled from aperture control, and the lens should act as a preset -- open the aperture to f/4 for most light. More expensive macro tubes have a mechanical linkage for the aperture, and you should be able to do stop-down metering and exposures in M(anual) mode.

A 31mm tube on a 50mm lens should only reduce light by a little over 1 f-stop -- it shouldn't be dark, so I can only suggest that you check that the aperture is wide open and your subject is well-lit.

As for focus: On any extension, the small throw of the lens focusing mechanism doesn't amount to much. With bellows, you use the bellows for focusing , not the lens. With tubes, you generally move the whole camera-lens system or the subject back and forth to achieve focus. So don't worry that the lens doesn't focus -- it doesn't matter.

Good luck!

12-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks.