Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 03:29 AM   #1

Is it possible to fix my in-camera flash?(k10d)

Ever since I bought my camera, my flash has never worked right, and I am pretty sure I have read about this problem with others, but I searched for almost an hour in google and these forums and can't seem to find a fix for it, nor was there any help in the manual.

But my in camera flash totally overpowers every time, it completely blows the picture out to white and can not seem to find anything to change it. Is there some setting I am missing? Is it even possible to fix or is it like when the flash dies completely and then is basically dead?

And if it is broken, are there any cheap flashes I can buy? Namely for under $100(even less would be awesome, I am a student with very limited funds). One that moves vertically would be great, but it would be ok if it doesn't move if I can actually use flash for a change. :/

Thanks

01-13-2010, 05:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would use the EV compensation button and apply some negative EV compensation. Experiment as to what works the best -- generally -1 is pretty good, but depending on your metering it may need a little more.

As far as cheap flashes, Vivitar makes some that are around a hundred dollars that are pretty decent.
01-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Can we have a sample with EXIF? What aperture and shutter speed are you taking flash shots with?
01-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Akiou Quote
are there any cheap flashes I can buy? Namely for under $100
This is one of my recommendations: Sunpak Auto Flashes.

No p-TTL (I don't like it anyway), no high speed, no wireless.

But an inexpensive flash that should meet most of your needs. Later on if you buy a fancier flash, the Sunpak can still be used as a backup or as a second flash.

01-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What lens?

QuoteOriginally posted by Akiou Quote
Ever since I bought my camera, my flash has never worked right, and I am pretty sure I have read about this problem with others, but I searched for almost an hour in google and these forums and can't seem to find a fix for it, nor was there any help in the manual.

But my in camera flash totally overpowers every time, it completely blows the picture out to white and can not seem to find anything to change it. Is there some setting I am missing? Is it even possible to fix or is it like when the flash dies completely and then is basically dead?

And if it is broken, are there any cheap flashes I can buy? Namely for under $100(even less would be awesome, I am a student with very limited funds). One that moves vertically would be great, but it would be ok if it doesn't move if I can actually use flash for a change. :/

Thanks
What lens are you using? If it is a manual-focus lens, prior to the A-series (no "A" setting on the aperture ring), it is supposed to always fire at full power. The K10D has no way to read or control the aperture on these lenses.

If it is an A-series lens, an F, FA or DA lens, then it should not overexpose like that.
01-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The flash output is adjustable from -2.0 to +1.0 using the rear dial (on my K10 at least) while in flash function mode. I don't use my onboard flash too often but when I do I usually have to try a few different settings to get it right.
I use a Vivitar 285HV flash ($50 used) which has a lower voltage trigger...something to consider when choosing a flash. Some flash units trigger with a high enough voltage to harm your K10.
01-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #7

Original Poster
I am using a AF lens(made by pentax) and I have tried to set the flash output, or turn on a setting to change the flash output but I have not been able to find it whatsoever. And I've gone all through the menu over and over. (If you feel the need to explain things like a child it won't bother me... I feel so stupid I just want this fixed.)

I have attached an image with EXIF data.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
01-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have the lens' aperture ring set to the A setting? It must be set to A for the flash automation to work.

Since your EXIF shows f/1.4 I suspect that you may have the lens in non-A mode.