Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buy Film-Based Lenses/Third Party

Hello everyone,

I am buying a K7 and a few lenses very soon (at the outset a fast 50 and a good wide to normal zoom, or slightly wide to slightly telephoto, not sure yet). As in the next few days.

I see that Pentax's DA* lenses only cover APS-C sensors. Is the general consensus that Pentax will always stay with APS-C? I don't want to lock in my lens investment to APS-C, when there is a distinct possibility I may be upgrading to a full-frame body in a while (not to mention film bodies! egads!) :-D

I haven't really researched third-party producers of lenses much (I am just starting to get more serious...the D40 and kit 18-55 aren't cutting it anymore). I am getting the 50 1.4, and at least to start a wide to tele zoom (like 18-55 range). I definitely want to stay away from variable aperture zooms though.

Any suggestions, either from Pentax or others? Also, any can't miss, great deals on manual focus lenses? I am planning on buying a Pentax film SLR as well, and would love to trade lenses as much as possible. Undecided on if the film SLR will be manual or auto focus.

01-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I see that Pentax's DA* lenses only cover APS-C sensors.
DA* 200 f/2.8 (almost identical to FA* 200 f/2.8) and DA* 300 f/4 cover 35mm film. DA* 55 f/1.4, DA* 60-250 f/4 probably do as well.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello everyone,

I am buying a K7 and a few lenses very soon (at the outset a fast 50 and a good wide to normal zoom, or slightly wide to slightly telephoto, not sure yet). As in the next few days.

I see that Pentax's DA* lenses only cover APS-C sensors. Is the general consensus that Pentax will always stay with APS-C? I don't want to lock in my lens investment to APS-C, when there is a distinct possibility I may be upgrading to a full-frame body in a while (not to mention film bodies! egads!) :-D

I haven't really researched third-party producers of lenses much (I am just starting to get more serious...the D40 and kit 18-55 aren't cutting it anymore). I am getting the 50 1.4, and at least to start a wide to tele zoom (like 18-55 range). I definitely want to stay away from variable aperture zooms though.

Any suggestions, either from Pentax or others? Also, any can't miss, great deals on manual focus lenses? I am planning on buying a Pentax film SLR as well, and would love to trade lenses as much as possible. Undecided on if the film SLR will be manual or auto focus.
here on the forum we have beaten the full frame argument to death. at this point, and other members can chime in because I have given up on the news and rumors forum, is that the official pentax policy at this point is they are comitted to the ASP-C format exclusively.

However as others have pointed out, many of the pentax lenses do cover full frame,

Both tameron (Di series) and Sigma (DG series) lenses are full frame lenses as well as the many fine AF and MF lenses that are available on the used market.
01-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The good thing about Pentax Dslr cameras is that you can use any lens that pentax made for the last couple of decades. For current pentax lenses you will need to look at FA series lenses. They will be good for most film slr bodies. As for can't miss lenses the bang for the buck is 55-300mm lens the new one. As for older manual focus lenses I'm not too sure for those I love my 50mm f1.4 pentax m lens.

01-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's good to know that even though DA* lenses aren't advertised to cover 35mm, they still do in some cases. I wonder if this is for future-proofing? I think it would be foolish for Pentax to stick with APS-C forever. Eventually the cost of putting a full 35mm frame in these things will be moot. I can see it now; "The Pentax K-L. The first full-frame DSLR under $2000."

I am seriously looking at the Pentax 16-50 2.8. Is that a good lens, or are there others that are just as good for less money (again, wanting to stay away from variable apertures)? I am completely new to Pentax lenses!

Thanks for the responses so far.
01-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #6

"The Pentax K-L. The first full-frame DSLR under $2000."
Actually Sony has a fullframe for under $2k. I seriously thought about getting the a850 but decided to get another k20 + fa*24
01-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I am seriously looking at the Pentax 16-50 2.8. Is that a good lens, or are there others that are just as good for less money (again, wanting to stay away from variable apertures)? I am completely new to Pentax lenses!
Check out photozone.de, lenstip.com and the lens forum for discussions of the optics. If you worry about SDM breaking, make sure you know where your closest repair center is.
01-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I see that Pentax's DA* lenses only cover APS-C sensors. Is the general consensus that Pentax will always stay with APS-C?
The general consensus is that no one knows, and anyone who claims to know is not worth listening to. Either they are simply lying when they claim to know, or they are just speculating and trying to convince you that their speculation is somehow better than yours, or they have insider info and are breaking the terms of their NDA and are therefore basically completely untrustworthy (if they're willing to break an NDA, they'd just as surely be willing to lie on an Internet forum).

QuoteQuote:
I am getting the 50 1.4, and at least to start a wide to tele zoom (like 18-55 range). I definitely want to stay away from variable aperture zooms though.

Any suggestions, either from Pentax or others?
My best advice i to browse the many, many discussions of this topic here, and also the reviews in the "Lenses" section of this site. The obvious choices are the 16-50/2.8, the 17-70/4, the Sigma and Tamron variations on the 16-50, and the Tamron 28-75/2.8 if you can stand 28 as your wide end. There are a couple fo Sigma zooms starting at 24mm if that strikes you are a better compromise.

QuoteQuote:
Also, any can't miss, great deals on manual focus lenses?
Some will undoubtedly chime in with their favorite more obscure choices, but the more or less standard choices (easy to find on Ebay or at KEH.com, $100-ish or less, good quality, and generally useful) include:

M28/2.8
A28/2.8
M50/1.7
A50/1.7
M50/1.4
M100/2.8
M135/3.5
M200/4

Some very well-regarded lenses that are just a bit harder to find and more expensive include the M20/4, K24/2.8, A24/2.8, K28/3.5, K30/2.8, M85/2, and K135/2.5. There are tons others, of course, but these are the ones I see reference to the most.

01-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's good to know that even though DA* lenses aren't advertised to cover 35mm, they still do in some cases. I wonder if this is for future-proofing? I think it would be foolish for Pentax to stick with APS-C forever. Eventually the cost of putting a full 35mm frame in these things will be moot...
See, you already know as much as everyone not employed by Pentax.

I figure, the camera design is the easy part. Making it to sell profitably at a decent price is a little harder. They would need four to six good new lenses for it, a very difficult task. Those lenses won't be cheap. You know about the 1.5x crop factor, right? Here's my theory on FF prices: multiply current APS-C prices to get the FF equivalent.
01-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm sure Pentax eventually will put a full frame sensor in their cameras, unless they want to take the route that Olympus is going (which is foolish in my opinion).

As I said, I think eventually the cost of putting a full frame sensor in a body will be moot; no extra charge basically for the sensor. Designing a body around that sensor, and new lenses to match, is where the expense comes. That's where Pentax is at a disadvantage; Nikon and Canon never "stopped" making professional full-frame lenses, and continue to develop new ones. Seems that most of Pentax's new lenses are DA or DA*, not FA or DFA.
01-15-2010, 05:12 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it is safe to say that when Pentax does come out with full frame some day, their APS-C lenses will be useable on it, probably with some auto cropping feature as necessary. From testing, all of their recent lenses (except the DA 15) are full frame capable -- the DA 60-250, DA 200, DA 300, DA 40, DFA 100 WR and DA 55. The big thing that they would need would be two shorter zooms, say 28-70 and 70-200. Not saying that's going to happen tomorrow, but I have a feeling it will by the early part of next year.