Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Where to buy a K-x locally? - Durham NC

After buying a Sony camera and absolutely despising the user interface, I will never buy a camera again without sitting down and playing with it first. So my question is, where can i find one in or around Durham NC?

How easy is the camera to use from the perspective of coming from a Canon P&S with full manual controls? (Not an SLR, but still has apeture priority, shutter priority, and full manual modes).

How easy is it to quickly change the apeture shutter speed and ISO in full manual mode? Are settings saved for each click on the mode dial, or are they universal to the camera? eg, if I switch to apeture priority and set the resolution to 4 megapixel, vivid color, no flash, and then change to shutter priority and set it to 12 megapixel neutral color and flash with red eye reduction, when i go back to apeture priority do I have to set it up all over again, or does the camera remember?

Canon remembers. Sony does not, and that drove me crazy (especially since functions are hidden in extremely deep and hard to navigate menus)

Really, I need to play with one... anybody have an idea where I can?

Thanks.

Charles.

01-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Worst...I mean Best Buy?
01-14-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you're willing to drive to Raleigh, go to Peace Camera. The store is AMAZING. I have no idea about Durham, but you can use Pentax's dealer locator to see if there is a dealer in Durham.

Huge inventory of used stuff, so you can buy a new K-x, and a few used lenses and maybe even a used film body in one go. Great prices too.

There's also Southeastern Camera in Carrboro and Raleigh. Haven't been to either store, but they come highly regarded.

I envy those of you in the middle of the state. Peace is leaps and bounds better than Biggs, though Biggs customer service seems to be a scosch better from what I've noticed (only been to Peace once though, they know me at Biggs in Charlotte).
01-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I called both southeast and peace. Southeast is a pentax dealer but doesn't currently have any stock. Peace doesn't carry new pentax cameras, just used stuff. And Best Buy doesn't have the camera in the store, it's online only.

I really want the high iso, but I need to know if I can live with the rest of the camera. Don't want to end up hating it like my Sony.

Charlie.

01-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There is also a Southeastern in Raleigh...did you try both the one in Carrboro and Raleigh?

Assuming both Southeasterns are out of stock, you could always buy from Adorama or Amazon. Both have pretty reasonable return policies. But I definitely understand where you're coming from.

Last edited by brofkand; 01-14-2010 at 08:30 PM.
01-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
If you're willing to drive to Raleigh, go to Peace Camera. The store is AMAZING. I have no idea about Durham, but you can use Pentax's dealer locator to see if there is a dealer in Durham.

Huge inventory of used stuff, so you can buy a new K-x, and a few used lenses and maybe even a used film body in one go. Great prices too.

There's also Southeastern Camera in Carrboro and Raleigh. Haven't been to either store, but they come highly regarded.

I envy those of you in the middle of the state. Peace is leaps and bounds better than Biggs, though Biggs customer service seems to be a scosch better from what I've noticed (only been to Peace once though, they know me at Biggs in Charlotte).
Agreed- I stopped into Peace Camera over Thanksgiving vacay, and the have superb customer service.

Wal-Mart *ducks bullets, shoes and whatever else is being hurled* has site-to-store shipping and a 30-day returns policy: Walmart.com: Help: Returns Policy