Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Focus Confirmation??

Hi folks. I've got a new K7 w/ DA 35 and I'm trying to figure out the focus confirmation light in the viewfinder. It doesn't work when I manual focus, and the only time I see it come on is when auto focus is on, and even then only when it truly auto focuses, in other word not when I override autofocus by turning the lens barrel. I like to focus manually and that indicator light would be helpful. Any tips on how I can get it working?

Thanks

01-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you looking for the tiny red square or the green hexagon. The tiny red square is not a confirmation; it shows which of the focus points the camera is trying to use. Focus confirmation is shown by the green hexagon below the focusing screen. It works with my k10 no matter how I focus, or with whichever lens. I don't get the red square flashing with my manual focus lenses.
01-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There should be a custom option that controls whether the red focus point indicators (not confirmation - just indicators of which point the camera is active) display in the viewfinder. But independently of that, the green hexagon that confirms focus has been achieved always lights up when the AF system agrees that you have in fact focused correctly. If it isn't lighting up, it doens't think you are in focus - simple as that. Do be sure you know which focus point the camera is tryng to confirm - with manual focus lenses, it is always the center point only. And if you turn the focus ring too quickly, chances are you'll zip right past the correct focus, and the camera won't have a chance to confirm focus. But the hexagon should definitely be lit up if the part of the scene under the currently active focus point is in focus for more than a fraction of a second.
01-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guy's. It's the green hexagon that's not working. I've tried moving the focus ring very slowly and still nothing. It only lights when autofucus locks on. Seems strange.

01-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
OK, I tried this with my new K7 and Sigma 18-50 with cmera set to MF and center focus point. No green hex for me either. I never really used this feature on my K10D but I verified that it does work on the K10. So, What the **** with the K7, eh???????
01-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slinco Quote
Hi folks. I've got a new K7 w/ DA 35 and I'm trying to figure out the focus confirmation light in the viewfinder. It doesn't work when I manual focus, and the only time I see it come on is when auto focus is on, and even then only when it truly auto focuses, in other word not when I override autofocus by turning the lens barrel. I like to focus manually and that indicator light would be helpful. Any tips on how I can get it working?

Thanks
Hi slinco,

Do you have "AF" activated when you're trying this -- by this I mean are you pressing and holding either a half press of the shutter button or pressing the "AF" button? The indicator will only light up when the AF sensor is activated.

Scott
01-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi slinco,

Do you have "AF" activated when you're trying this -- by this I mean are you pressing and holding either a half press of the shutter button or pressing the "AF" button? The indicator will only light up when the AF sensor is activated.

Scott
Snostorm is right: you must first half-press the shutter button first. The green hexagon would come on when the focus is correct with a manual focus lens.

However, it may depend upon the size of the object on which you try to focus, as well as the depth of field of the lens (for that distance and aperture). For example, if you try to focus on a thin objet, like a rod, with AF point center, it is sometimes difficult to have AF confirmation with the green hexagon On. I believe that the AF assist beam might not return properly to the camera on the thin object.

Last edited by hcc; 01-14-2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: typo
01-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi slinco,

Scott
Yes, it works like it's supposed to when auto focusing, as soon as focus locks the green hex lights up. But the fact that it doesn't work on the K7 when manual focusing is very disappointing. I do a lot of manual focusing, and on every other DSLR I've used, even my ancient D100, this was a very helpful feature. I can't believe it doesn't work with the K7. I still wonder if it's tied to some menu item I haven't sorted out yet, but Workingdog says it doesn't work on his either. Any other K7 owners want to chime in?

01-15-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Forum Member

don't have a k7 but have a k-x. on the k-x, the green hex will come on once it thinks you are in focus. But, since manual focus for me takes a while, it the VF display times out. the hex will NOT come on. you need to tap the shutter to activate VF display, achieve focus before the VF display times out. give that a try.
01-15-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slow2focus Quote
don't have a k7 but have a k-x. on the k-x, the green hex will come on once it thinks you are in focus. But, since manual focus for me takes a while, it the VF display times out. the hex will NOT come on. you need to tap the shutter to activate VF display, achieve focus before the VF display times out. give that a try.
Yes, it does time out pretty quickly. But it doesn't work even with the viewfinder display active, with shutter half pressed or what ever. Still nothing. I just tried turning on "Beep when focus confirmation", but that didn't do anything either. Still searching the menus for something I may have turned off...
01-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Yes, it does time out pretty quickly. But it doesn't work even with the viewfinder display active, with shutter half pressed or what ever. Still nothing. I just tried turning on "Beep when focus confirmation", but that didn't do anything either. Still searching the menus for something I may have turned off...
Hi slinco,

If your VF display is timing out while you're trying to focus, you aren't keeping the AF sensor active. You must hold the half press while focusing, and if you're doing that, the display won't time out, regardless of how long it takes. It isn't a matter of whether the display is active, it's a matter of if the AF sensor is active -- which is only while the shutter button is actively half-pressed.

Think of it this way. If you were using an AF lens in very low light, and the AF system was taking it's time, you'd have to keep holding the half press until it finishes. If you took your finger off the button in the middle of the hunting, then the AF would stop trying to focus immediately. The same is true when attempting MF.

Scott
01-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

What happens when you enable 'Catch-in-focus' in the menus? Just a thought.
01-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi slinco,

If your VF display is timing out while you're trying to focus, you aren't keeping the AF sensor active. You must hold the half press while focusing, and if you're doing that, the display won't time out, regardless of how long it takes. It isn't a matter of whether the display is active, it's a matter of if the AF sensor is active -- which is only while the shutter button is actively half-pressed.

Think of it this way. If you were using an AF lens in very low light, and the AF system was taking it's time, you'd have to keep holding the half press until it finishes. If you took your finger off the button in the middle of the hunting, then the AF would stop trying to focus immediately. The same is true when attempting MF.

Scott
Hey thanks Scott, you helped me figure it out. I had "AF with Press Halfway" shut off in the Custom Settings menu, and that, unfortunately, seems to disable the focus confirmation light with manual focus. That's too bad, because I like having auto focus on the rear button only, but at least I know how to get it to do both things now, just not both at once. I was hoping I could set it up so I could manual focus most of the time with the AF button on the rear at the ready anytime I wanted to press it, but I guess I can't do that. Oh well, I'll get used to it the way it is, at least now I've got a confirmation light in full MF mode. Thanks a lot!!

Last edited by slinco; 01-15-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo - changed "can" to "can't"
01-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Hey thanks Scott, you helped me figure it out. I had "AF with Press Halfway" shut off in the Custom Settings menu, and that, unfortunately, seems to disable the focus confirmation light with manual focus. That's too bad, because I like having auto focus on the rear button only, but at least I know how to get it to do both things now, just not both at once. I was hoping I could set it up so I could manual focus most of the time with the AF button on the rear at the ready anytime I wanted to press it, but I guess I can't do that. Oh well, I'll get used to it the way it is, at least now I've got a confirmation light in full MF mode. Thanks a lot!!
Hi slinco,

You can use the AF button the same way, but you have to keep it depressed while manual focusing until you get a focus lock. I was generalizing, assuming the default of AF on half press in my last post. Go ahead and change back, but remember to press and hold the AF button while you're focusing the lens.

I'm glad you have confirmed that your camera works correctly, now you just have to fit this to the way that you want it to work. Just remember that you have two settings on the K-7 that effect AF actuation. You can choose to enable or disable AF with the AF button, and you can turn AF on or off on half press of the shutter button, so you could conceivably set it up so you actuate AF with either a half press of the shutter or by pressing the AF button. This would make no sense to me, but it's available. I would set it up so that one or the other is the default, and go from there.

The important thing to remember is that you need to keep the AF sensor active by keeping whichever button depressed while manual focusing in order to get the benefit of the focus confirmation, and that the VF display being on is not in itself an indication that the AF sensor is active.

Scott
01-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey Scott - great advice. I hadn't realized you could set the AF button to deactivate AF. With both "Activate auto focus with half press of shutter" turned on, and "Cancel AF with AF button" turned on I can get a focus confirmation light even when I override AF by turning the lens barrel manually, which is one of the things I was hoping to get. It's a bit cumbersome because I have to hold the shutter half way AND hold the AF button down to make it work, but at least it's possible. And if I switch to full MF mode I get the confirmation light by just holding the shutter halfway. I'll have to play around with this the next few days and see where I end up. I really appreciate you helping me sort this out. Thanks to everybody else for you suggestions too.