Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,255
Why are "USER" settings not saved in K20D?

Me again ... yes.

A little while back, I asked, and got answers, for saving settings in the USER mode of my K7.
That worked great.

This time, I am trying to do the same on the K20D, to no avail. Foolowing the manual's instructions and the postings here, I just cannot make it work.

Can someone tell me what to do, step by step, so that I can save at least one simple setting (Catch-in Focus - this, I know how to do) in that USER mode so when I turn the wheel to "USER", it will be there are ready.

I tried all sorts of ways, but when I go back to the Av mode, the setting that was to be saved only in USER is there too!

Anyone courageous enough to guide me step-by-step?

Thanks.

JP

01-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,528
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Me again ... yes.

A little while back, I asked, and got answers, for saving settings in the USER mode of my K7.
That worked great.

This time, I am trying to do the same on the K20D, to no avail. Foolowing the manual's instructions and the postings here, I just cannot make it work.

Can someone tell me what to do, step by step, so that I can save at least one simple setting (Catch-in Focus - this, I know how to do) in that USER mode so when I turn the wheel to "USER", it will be there are ready.

I tried all sorts of ways, but when I go back to the Av mode, the setting that was to be saved only in USER is there too!

Anyone courageous enough to guide me step-by-step?

Thanks.

JP
In the [Set up] menu, the first item is to save your USER settings to the USER mode. When you have your settings the way you want them, go [Setup] [User] [>] on the 4-way and press [OK] to save the settings to [USER] mode on your dial.

If you are saving Av settings - they will stay unchanged while you are in Av mode. Change something, such as the ISO while in Av mode. Now when you go to USER mode, you will find the original ISO there, but in Av, you will get the new ISO setting. It will save a whole bunch of stuff that you might want to change from time to time. [+/-], [Bracketing] [Drive mode] ISO, White Balance, RAW/JPG/RAW+, JPG quality, Contrast, saturation, natural/vivid, flash mode and P, Av, Tv, M ...

Hope this helps!
01-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
In the [Set up] menu, the first item is to save your USER settings to the USER mode. When you have your settings the way you want them, go [Setup] [User] [>] on the 4-way and press [OK] to save the settings to [USER] mode on your dial.

If you are saving Av settings - they will stay unchanged while you are in Av mode. Change something, such as the ISO while in Av mode. Now when you go to USER mode, you will find the original ISO there, but in Av, you will get the new ISO setting. It will save a whole bunch of stuff that you might want to change from time to time. [+/-], [Bracketing] [Drive mode] ISO, White Balance, RAW/JPG/RAW+, JPG quality, Contrast, saturation, natural/vivid, flash mode and P, Av, Tv, M ...

Hope this helps!
Just tried evryting one step at a time, and when I return to the Av mode, the settings I have saved in the USER mode are there too (in the USER mode).
Maybe there is something wrong with the camera or I am not doing things right for the hundreth time.
But, thank you for taking the time to help.
I appreciate it.

JP
01-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,528
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Just tried evryting one step at a time, and when I return to the Av mode, the settings I have saved in the USER mode are there too (in the USER mode).
Maybe there is something wrong with the camera or I am not doing things right for the hundreth time.
But, thank you for taking the time to help.
I appreciate it.

JP
OK, let's cut to the chase. You have changed settings and saved them in your USER mode. Leave user mode, and go to Av mode. Change the ISO setting. Then switch back to USER mode without saving the Av to USER, and the ISO should alternate between the two. Change the camera to P mode and do whatever - take a couple of shots. Set the mode dial to USER, and the camera should now be in Av mode.

01-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,255
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
OK, let's cut to the chase. You have changed settings and saved them in your USER mode. Leave user mode, and go to Av mode. Change the ISO setting. Then switch back to USER mode without saving the Av to USER, and the ISO should alternate between the two. Change the camera to P mode and do whatever - take a couple of shots. Set the mode dial to USER, and the camera should now be in Av mode.
Thank you CdaRockie.
Will try that in the morning and report back.
Sorry to be such a pain.

JP
01-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,528
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thank you CdaRockie.
Will try that in the morning and report back.
Sorry to be such a pain.

JP
Not a pain - it is hard to get things across sometimes when we are not side by side looking at the camera.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, mode, pentax help, photography, settings, step, user
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Machinery "New" K20D + "new" car + train = WIN! Volvo244T Post Your Photos! 4 08-01-2010 11:29 PM
K20d-Frame Count on panals..works w/"M" & "P" mode only? arbib Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 08-28-2009 05:47 PM
Adelaide Fringe Festival "That guy should put his TAMPAX in his camera bag" 5D user Adrian Owerko Post Your Photos! 15 03-08-2009 07:51 PM
"Hunger for a DA*50-135?" or "The DA*50-135 as a bird lens!" or "Iron age birds?" Douglas_of_Sweden Post Your Photos! 4 08-13-2008 06:09 AM
"USER" program mode on the K20D yetidesign Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 06-19-2008 10:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top