Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #1

My next lens

I have Pentax k-x , 18-55 kit lens, fa 50mm f1.4 ,
I would like to buy new lens that i can use it 90% of time, i hate 18-55 kit lens...
I think abaut :

Sigma 18-50mm/F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM ,
Sigma 17-70mm 2.8 DC,
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II LD (price almost double compare with 18-50 Sigma..)

what do you think ?

01-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aw, c'mon! The kit lens ain't that bad.
Sure, any of those choices above would be fine (remember though that you've got the aperture values swapped between the 18-50 and 17-70 lenses above), but I would personally opt for the Tamron 17-50, or even the Pentax DA* 16-50 if you have the courage to go for an SDM lens.

The Sigmas are fine but just don't have the same rendition and contrast of the Tamron or Pentax lenses. Cost may be a factor to you, so consider this also...
01-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You'd have to say what in particular about the kit lens is not satisfying you. The fact that the lenses you list as alternative are all faster suggests it's primarily a maximum aperture issue, in which case you should strike #2 off your list, as it isn't really f/.8 except at the wide end.
01-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crossing Quote
I have Pentax k-x , 18-55 kit lens, fa 50mm f1.4 ,
I would like to buy new lens that i can use it 90% of time, i hate 18-55 kit lens...
I think abaut :

Sigma 18-50mm/F2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM ,
Sigma 17-70mm 2.8 DC,
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II LD (price almost double compare with 18-50 Sigma..)

what do you think ?

Like the previous posters (Ash and Marc S.), I'm wondering what you find lacking in the kit lens. Also, what kind of photographs are you interested in taking, in what kind of conditions?

I have the Sigma 17-70 DC f/2.8-4.5. It is quite a good lens, for the money, especially, one of the only zooms I have kept since I started trying to use primes most of the time. Of course as Marc points out, it's got a variable aperture: f/2.8 at the wide end (17mm), stopping down to f/4.5 at 70mm. If you are shooting mostly outdoors in good light, or with flash, this may not be a problem at all. I use this lens mainly as an all-purpose safe choice to carry when I'm not sure what I'll need, for example, for trips to the park or the zoo.

But there are lots of other lenses to consider, and the idea of having a lens that you use 90% of the time is, well, a bit contrary to the whole point of having a dslr in the first place. I mean, considering how good the high-end compact, fixed-lens cameras are these days, one of the main reasons to switch to a dslr is so that you can change lenses when you need to.

If you want to shoot in bad weather, look for one of the Pentax weather-resistant lenses.

If you want a fixed aperture lens in the wide-to-normal or normal-to-near-tele range, consider the justly famous Pentax 16-45 f/4 or the also excellent Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. The Pentax 16-45 f/4 is a stop slower but considerably wider. It makes a terrific alternative to the kit lens.

If you really want a lens that can (almost) do it all, then consider one of the superzoom lenses with an 18-250mm zoom range: Sigma, Pentax and Tamron all make one. I've owned the Tamron and the Pentax, which are supposed to be more or less the same lens (Pentax uses the Tamron lens but puts its own branding on it). Very good, very versatile, again for outdoor shooting in good light.

Or you could consider getting a "normal" focal length prime lens and discover the excitement of shooting with primes. The Sigma 28 f/1.8 and the Pentax 40 f/2.8 are the two lenses most likely to be found mounted on one of my cameras at any given moment.

Will

01-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
I have the first model of 18-55 kit lens : SMC PENTAX-DA 18mm-55mm F3.5-F5.6 AL ,wich I understand are the worst compare with model II or newer. I like photos in low light , thats why I buy it FA 50MM f1.4 so the light...can get in... enough ! So thats why I was for f2.8 but didnt know it its only at 17mm . Anyway I heard many people use a specified lens mostly , like you say (WMBP) 17-70 f2.8 ...and exacly this lens 17-70 most people like it I like to take portraits but also like alot landscapes ! Ash ,abaut 17-50 Pentax ..its over my budget.

So if you all recomand Tamron 17-50 altho price its almost double compare with 17-70, 18-50 sigma.. I will buy it because I want something good ,buts thats all my money for lens.

ps : when exposure is high and mirror (?) stays up k-x makes a strange continous noise like a motor ,very ugly... it is normal ? Before Pentax I was on Nikon ..and never happent this thing.
01-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The sound when the mirror is up is the shake reduction. Nothing to worry about.
01-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the first model of 18-55 kit lens : SMC PENTAX-DA 18mm-55mm F3.5-F5.6 AL
Just to be sure - you *didn't* actually get this with the camera, did you? The camera should have shipped with the "DA L" version, which is actually version II.

Anyhow, the original version is not *as* good, true, but it isn't bad, either. But neither version is particularly great for low light. Sure, you could get either fo the two f/2.8 zooms (I'd skip the 17-70 because as I said, it's not f/2.8 where you need it to be), although you could also consider getting an f/2.8 prime in a focal length you like. If you need AF, then the only options are no cheaper (but a lot smaller!) than the zooms you are looking at. But there are lots of cheap MF primes worth considering too.

01-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

ps : when exposure is high and mirror (?) stays up k-x makes a strange continous noise like a motor ,very ugly... it is normal ? Before Pentax I was on Nikon ..and never happent this thing.
I've got a K20D not a KX, but if it KX has the same sort of shake reduction / image stabilization, you need to turn that OFF when the camera is tripodded or braced for long exposures. That motor noise would be the sensor whipping around, trying futilely to eliminate shake that ain't there. I've put a full-circle fisheye adaptor on a 40mm lens, set the camera on a tabletop for a 5-second exposure, left SR/IS on, and had the camera jump and shake like a spastic armadillo.

LENSES. As I've mentioned, when I got the K20D in spring 2008 I also bought the FA 50/1.4, the DA 10-17, and the DA 18-250, and despite acquiring MANY other lenses since, those are still what I use most. I also bought a pile of 35mm film cams on eBay (REAL cheap), most with Pentax bayonet (PK) or screw (M42) mounts, and a slew of old primes (and a few zooms) that fit on most of those bodies. I will buy no more DA lenses. I sense a Pentax FF (full-frame) dSLR in my future, and those DAs won't work on such, while all all my cheap manual glass WILL. Think about the future -- will you be happy having to buy a new set of expensive lenses for your next camera?

You mention shooting landscapes, portraits, and in low light. For landscapes, portraits, architecture etc, autofocus is irrelevant -- look for fine old manual glass, cheap on eBay. For all except portraits and action shots and in low light (without a tripod), SPEED (wide aperture) is irrelevant. For low-light situations where the FA 50/1.4 isn't appropriate, I'll use a 24/2 (Vivitar) or 58/2 (Helios) or 85/2 (Jupitar or Nikkor) or 135/2.5 (Pentax), all pretty cheap on eBay. And those lenses will all work on whatever new dSLR enters my life in the future, and on most of my 35mm cams.

You have other options than just the currently-popular auto zooms. Good luck.
01-16-2010, 11:02 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Just to be sure - you *didn't* actually get this with the camera, did you? The camera should have shipped with the "DA L" version, which is actually version II.
that was in kit Aparat Foto DSLR Pentax K-x + SMC Pentax 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL / Aparate Foto DSLR

That noise because of shake reduction its also on other brands like NIKON/PENTAX ?

''(I'd skip the 17-70 because as I said, it's not f/2.8 where you need it to be)

18-50 lens from Simga or 17-50 Tamron what's the f2.8 range ?

If you need AF, then the only options are no cheaper (but a lot smaller!) than the zooms you are looking at

Like what ?
ps. I hate manual focusing.. I played a littlet with kit 18-55 lens ..

LENSES. As I've mentioned, when I got the K20D in spring 2008 I also bought the FA 50/1.4, the DA 10-17, and the DA 18-250, and despite acquiring MANY other lenses since, those are still what I use most. I also bought a pile of 35mm film cams on eBay (REAL cheap), most with Pentax bayonet (PK) or screw (M42) mounts, and a slew of old primes (and a few zooms) that fit on most of those bodies. I will buy no more DA lenses. I sense a Pentax FF (full-frame) dSLR in my future, and those DAs won't work on such, while all all my cheap manual glass WILL. Think about the future -- will you be happy having to buy a new set of expensive lenses for your next camera?

You mention shooting landscapes, portraits, and in low light. For landscapes, portraits, architecture etc, autofocus is irrelevant -- look for fine old manual glass, cheap on eBay. For all except portraits and action shots and in low light (without a tripod), SPEED (wide aperture) is irrelevant. For low-light situations where the FA 50/1.4 isn't appropriate, I'll use a 24/2 (Vivitar) or 58/2 (Helios) or 85/2 (Jupitar or Nikkor) or 135/2.5 (Pentax), all pretty cheap on eBay. And those lenses will all work on whatever new dSLR enters my life in the future, and on most of my 35mm cams.

You have other options than just the currently-popular auto zooms. Good luck.

My kit lens- old FIRST 18-55 AL model- have worst lens quality , i'am not happy with picture quality and low light speed , I need lens to shot indoor low light with maximum speed - 400-1600 ISO - withaut trepied - so need aperture , I hate manual focus thats why I buy it FA 50MM F1.4 ,i could buy it cheap old M/A f1.5. I also need good quality picture of landscapes - so I need quality lens but in the same time no bigger (long) then 18-50mm and aperture starting from 17,18
In one word let e tell you this will be my last lens (at least thats what i think now...) , I have fa 50 f1.4 and need another lens to keep it on my body nonstop instead of 18-55. My passion for foto its limited by my 2 little boys- last Nikon D40 was broken by them - didnt keep my eye on it for 1 second..-
So one last lens..for all times..

I dont know when I will go for FF ,not sone anyway
01-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The Kit lens DAL 18-55mm is a very good lens
Good MTF score at photozone
Lightweight and small size
Good Min focus distance at 0.25cm
You can use the built in flash at all focal length
01-16-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will stick to your original question (& subsequent comments). You want to buy a new lens, mainly to replace the kit lens, which you find inadequate. You definitely want a fast lens, and, because of this, have now ruled out the Sigma 17-70mm. So, we are down to an either or: either the Sigma 18-50, or the Tamron 17-50--correct? Both of these lenses get nice reviews, are upgrades to the kit lens, and meet your main criteria in the upgrade--which is speed. Your budget would be entirely exhausted by the Tamron purchase--can you live with that? Why don't you look at images taken with each of the 2 lenses you are considering, and decide, for yourself, if the higher price tag of the Tamron is justified. After all, it is you, and only you, that needs convincing on how to properly spend your money.

BTW, images from both of these lenses are plentiful. Good luck.
01-17-2010, 02:18 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I will stick to your original question (& subsequent comments). You want to buy a new lens, mainly to replace the kit lens, which you find inadequate. You definitely want a fast lens, and, because of this, have now ruled out the Sigma 17-70mm. So, we are down to an either or: either the Sigma 18-50, or the Tamron 17-50--correct? Both of these lenses get nice reviews, are upgrades to the kit lens, and meet your main criteria in the upgrade--which is speed. Your budget would be entirely exhausted by the Tamron purchase--can you live with that? Why don't you look at images taken with each of the 2 lenses you are considering, and decide, for yourself, if the higher price tag of the Tamron is justified. After all, it is you, and only you, that needs convincing on how to properly spend your money.

BTW, images from both of these lenses are plentiful. Good luck.

Right !

So you hardly recomanda Tamron 17-50 f2.8 because the price its worth it altho more expensive then 18-50 Sigma. Can someone tell me f2.8 focal lenght for those 2 lens ? 17-70 i understand f2.8 its only at 17mm.

Also you think its a just a caprice to go for this lens instead of stick to kit 18-55 ? My needs as told here does not require this aproach ?
01-17-2010, 02:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I recommend the Tamron 17-50/2.8 because its a fantastic lens and yes, much much better than the kit lens. Personal experiences led me to my conclusion. If I was in your shoes again, I'd make the same decision to replace my kit lens with this one. I did and haven't looked back or felt the need to replace the Tamron with something more expensive or supposedly "better".

Jason
01-17-2010, 04:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Right !

So you hardly recomanda Tamron 17-50 f2.8 because the price its worth it altho more expensive then 18-50 Sigma. Can someone tell me f2.8 focal lenght for those 2 lens ? 17-70 i understand f2.8 its only at 17mm.

Also you think its a just a caprice to go for this lens instead of stick to kit 18-55 ? My needs as told here does not require this aproach ?
Sigma 17-70 i think is f2.8 17-20mm

If you shoot in low light and want extra sharpness
I recommed the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 as a kit lens replacement
01-17-2010, 04:12 AM   #15

Original Poster
Tamron 17-50mm i see on dppreview ''fast standard zoom lenses with an F/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the entire zoom range used exclusively for digital SLR cameras with APS-C sized image sensors'' , so on my k-x will have 2.8 all over zoom range ? If so ..order is already made for this one !