Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sensor cleaning with lens on?

I just made a mistake by starting the sensor cleaning "mode" on my K-x before consulting the manual and not realizing that one has to remove the lens before and clean the sensor with proper equipment.. Stupid me.

The camera is making a sound and the red light in front of the camera is blinking. I have it standing on the table. What I want to know is: Am I hurting the camera by leaving the lens on? Will it explode and leave me crying? Can I turn off the camera while it's doing its sensor cleaning thing, without harming the camera?

Please help!

01-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nima Quote
I just made a mistake by starting the sensor cleaning "mode" on my K-x before consulting the manual and not realizing that one has to remove the lens before and clean the sensor with proper equipment.. Stupid me.

The camera is making a sound and the red light in front of the camera is blinking. I have it standing on the table. What I want to know is: Am I hurting the camera by leaving the lens on? Will it explode and leave me crying? Can I turn off the camera while it's doing its sensor cleaning thing, without harming the camera?

Please help!
The sensor clean simply raises the mirror and opens the shutter for you to get access to the sensor. To deactivate this you simple turn off the camera. There should be no issue with what you have done, and you should turn your camera off to deactivate the sensor cleaning mode.

Thank you
Russell
01-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
I turned of the camera and it didn't explode . Thank you so much for the fast reply!
01-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

...If the batteries are running low whilst you are cleaning the sensor, the camera will start bleeping to warn you to get whatever you have inside the body on the sensor out of the way before the shutter closes and the mirror drops

You might think it was going to explode once the bleeping starts! )

Happy Pentaxing

Adam

01-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hehe, yeah I don't know what I was thinking

I have another question. I have a small streak of dust (or something) in my camera and it's showing in all my photos. I did the dust removal thing several times and it's not removing that particular dust, and when I activated the dust alert, it is not showing up on the screen. What's up? Do I have to take the lens off and clean it on the inside - with extra care of course?
01-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When attempting to clean a sensor it is always good practice to ensure the batteries are fully charge first. To remove difficult streaks that the camera dust removal system cannot you need to physically remove it. You can take the camera to a dealer who will charge for his services, or purchase one of many sensor cleaning aids that are on the market. I use and can recommend the Arctic Butterfly (VisibleDust) OK a little expensive, but it is a one off purchase and very easy to use and will remove most dust particals.
01-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Rees for taking the time to answer. I am going to take a look on the Arctic Butterfly and/or visit a dealer.
01-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The dirt on the sensor varies a lot by climate and how often you change your lenses. I had used Sensor Swabs and Eclipse fluid in Hawaii. After moving to Colorado, I found that a Giotto's Rocket Blower was all I needed. It also is much easier. My camera doesn't have any dust control of its own.

01-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Forum Member

The problem with using a blower, if there is dust in the sensor compartment that goes undetected and a blower is used, it can blow that dust onto the sensor, whereas, the artic buterfly removes the dust by static.
If certain types of zoom lenses are used, pollen finds its way onto the sensor and is difficult to remove. Large deposits of pollen, which appear as small dots on an image, can only be removed by using propritory brands of liquid swabs.
Of course you are not in actual fact cleaning the actual sensor itself, just the protective cover, covering the sensor.