Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
EV meter on manual lenses

i've been playing around with my manual lenses on the k-x....read the sticky for set up(thanks) but can't get my ev meter to work with it. so...as a beginner, how can i shoot in manual mode using the aperture ring for f/ and selecting a shutter speed for proper exposure? for the A series lens i know i can shoot in P mode but that gets old. i'd love to be able to control shutter speed with correct or controlled exposure but i need the meter at this point in my tutelage.

01-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure about exact K-X settings as I have *istD, K10D and K7D.

I believe however you have 2 different ways to "meter"

If you want to check exposure without changing settings, you activate the DOF preview, which is located on the on/off switch, just move it past "ON" I believe this works on ALL pentax cameras,

If you want to have the camera set the exposure,. I believe you press the AE button. This will stop down the lens, and have the camera set the shutter speed to match the light through the lens when stopped down.

If you are using M42 lenses, just switch to AV mode and stop the lens down, the camera will adjust automatically (although you will probably have to adjust the exposure compensation as well, my cameras seem to under expose by 1 stop with M42 lenses)
01-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On the Kx, the DOF preview is not onthe on'off switch, but is assignable to a button (Green button?) via a vustom menu. The button to press to get the camera to set a shutter speed for you is similarly assignable via custom option.

Anyhow, those are the two options: press and hold button to activate DOF preview, which is in effect and displays the meter as long as you hold the button, or press button to get camera to stop down monentarily, meter, and set a s hutter speed for you, but you don't actully 8see* the meter.

See the sticky thread at the top of this forum for more on using manual lenses.
01-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i see. so when i change the green button optical preview settings, i get a split second where it shows me the EV meter in the viewfinder. i then sort of have to "guess" what the shutter speed should be to gain correct exposure (based on my aperture ring setting), then whack the green button again to see if my guess was correct showing 0.0.

hopefully i will get better at guessing how much to compensate the shutters peed so it doesn't take so many tries. this is the correct way to do this right?

just making sure cause there is nada on depth of field preview in my index with the manual.

01-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
maybe i'm just wording my questions and statements the wrong way. when you say "depth of field preview", what exactly are you talking about? i was just looking for the number that tells me + or - correct exposure. i thought i should be referring to the ev meter, but both of you mention depth of field preview.

i feel like i'm so close to getting all of this, just ironing out the details.

one more thing....when my EV meter says +3 or -2....is there a rule of thumb as to how far i should turn the dial to at least get me close? if its showing +3 for shutter speed...i have no idea if i should move the dial 3 times to the right or 13 times to the right before taking another meter reading.

hopefully there are other newb's that can at least benefit from my genreal questions.

thanks a bunch
01-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by deiberson Quote
one more thing....when my EV meter says +3 or -2....is there a rule of thumb as to how far i should turn the dial to at least get me close? if its showing +3 for shutter speed...i have no idea if i should move the dial 3 times to the right or 13 times to the right before taking another meter reading.
I can't say for sure but on my K200D I can set the dial to 1/2 or 1/3 EV. If it's set to 1/2 and the meter says -2 that would mean 4 clicks would bring it to 0. If it's set to 1/3 you'd need 6 clicks.
01-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

i see. so when i change the green button optical preview settings, i get a split second where it shows me the EV meter in the viewfinder. i then sort of have to "guess" what the shutter speed should be to gain correct exposure (based on my aperture ring setting), then whack the green button again to see if my guess was correct showing 0.0.

hopefully i will get better at guessing how much to compensate the shutters peed so it doesn't take so many tries. this is the correct way to do this right?

just making sure cause there is nada on depth of field preview in my index with the manual.
No, when you change the preview to green button it sets the shutter for you, if youo don't change the preview / green button function you stop the lens down and it stays stopped down until you let go, so you can read the meter.
01-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

maybe i'm just wording my questions and statements the wrong way. when you say "depth of field preview", what exactly are you talking about? i was just looking for the number that tells me + or - correct exposure. i thought i should be referring to the ev meter, but both of you mention depth of field preview.

i feel like i'm so close to getting all of this, just ironing out the details.

hopefully there are other newb's that can at least benefit from my genreal questions.

thanks a bunch
The depth of field preview performs 2 functions, one really based upon it's name is to stop the lens down so you can better appreciate, with the seleected aperture what is in focus, the second is to turn on the meter without changing settings.

What I do, is the following, using green button (or in your case the AE button I believe) you set the exposure pointing the meter at what you want to get exposure correct on, then, I sometimes use DOF to get an indication of the metering ovverall with the image framed as I want, kind of as a check.

01-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
No, when you change the preview to green button it sets the shutter for you, if youo don't change the preview / green button function you stop the lens down and it stays stopped down until you let go, so you can read the meter.
when i depress the green button (after changing the optical preview option for the green button), it shows me the EV value in the bottom right of the viewfinder. if the shutter is at 1/20, it doesn't change until i rotate the e-dial myself. the aperture doesn't move either because i would have to physically turn the a-ring myself. however, this is the option that i was originally inquiring about in my op, so all is good.

if you're correct, i'm really confused.
01-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

when i depress the green button (after changing the optical preview option for the green button), it shows me the EV value in the bottom right of the viewfinder. if the shutter is at 1/20, it doesn't change until i rotate the e-dial myself. the aperture doesn't move either because i would have to physically turn the a-ring myself. however, this is the option that i was originally inquiring about in my op, so all is good.

if you're correct, i'm really confused.
It almost sounds like your option selection has swapped functions.

On my cameras (*istD, K10D and K7D) with standard configuration, optical preview activates metering, and shows exposure, green button sets the shutter speed when pressed.

I think I will go play a little with my cameras to see if I have a similar option to swap functions.
01-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
Forum Member

first, k-x does not have DOF preview on the on-off like other more $$ pentax.
2nd, there are M42 manuals then there are M manuals. The camera behaves differently depending on which. Since you didn't specify, I do both:

For both, in M mode on camera:

M42: (with adapter) full manual no stop down. you f stop on the lens you focus on the lens. Do not assign green button to do anything on the k-x. You meter with M42 by exp comp button OR green button. Both does the exact same thing. If you assign green button to other functions, just use the exp comp to meter. This will place you in the ball park, take a shot, check histogram, repeat.

M manual: manual focus, auto stop down. Do not assign anything to green button. You meter just like M42 with either exp comp OR green button. The k-x will stop down for you to take meter reading while you can focus wide open (assuming option 24 in custom is allowed).

for both, once meter is taken, your Tv will be set automatically. that will be your base starting point.

For both types, I said not to assign anything to green button because should you decide to goto P mode with an auto lens like FA/DA, with green button assigned, it kills the rear dial. You can't change the "combo" Av/Tv. Stupid I know.

I do not have good luck with Av mode with either M type lens, I will let others fill you in on that.

I own the k-x. These are the steps on the k-x.
01-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Right - and you can see for the meter for as long as you hold the button. it even changes as you change the aperture or shutter speed.

It's one of the *other* options for the green button that automatically sets shutter speed for you. Not sure how its labeled on your camera; on mine the menu is called "green button when shooting" and the option is called "Tv shift". When you have the camera set this way, the camera stops down momentarily and sets a shutter speed for you that zeros the meter.

It might be possible to set up the camera so that both functions are available - assigned to different buttons - but I don't know for sure. Definitely is on models where the DOF preview is achieved by the on/off switch rather than by the green button.
01-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i still don't know what anyone is talking about when they say depth of filed preview. i read about this in peterson's exposure book, but still don't know how to benefit from it with my k-x, nor what exactly it does.

but on a positive note....making great progress knowledge wise from this forum. unfortunately i don't have enough time to read and apply....probably why my pics are so bad.
01-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Do you know what depthof field is? It means how *much* of the picture is in focus when you focus on a given point. Smaller apertures (larger f-numbers) will have larger DOF - more in focus. So with a large aperture, you might focus on someone's eye and find the other eye out of focus. With a smaller aperture, you might get the whole face in focus. With a smaller aperture still, you might also get the background in focus. DOF preview is simply a way of seeing this effect in the viewfinder. The effect is only visible while the lens is actually closed down to the selected aperture, and this doens't normally happen until you press the shutter (at which time the mirror flips up and you don't see *anything* through the viewfinder, plus it happens so fast you wouldn't be able to see the effect anyhow). So DOF preview is a way of getting the camera to stop down the lens long enough for you to see the change in DOF in the viewfinder - the fact it *also* happens to be a way to get a meter reading with manual lenses is just gravy (but delicious gravy at that!)
01-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so when i meter with the green button b/c of the optical preview option that i selected, i'm actually looking at a dof preview as well?

i understood what the dof was, just not how it was used in the preview option. your explanation of the preview stopping down helped.

i was holding the green button down, looking at the ev value and metering to zero. but i was not paying attention to my dof preview. that might explain the out of focus pictures.

can i apply my af focus points using the same techinque with a and m series lenses?