Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Newbie K10D user with M42 Screw Mount Lenses:

I would appreciate any help I receive from this K10D question and I do understand that this question(s) has probably been answered many times in this forum but, having spent several hours reading relevant material, I am not sure that I have 100% comprehension.

When I use my screwmounts I have been using this procedure:

1) Select my F stop on the lens with lens in Manual.
2) Switch the MODE rotary to M
3) Switch the Focus mode lever to MF
4) Turn Main switch ON
5) Select the correct Focal Length (on screen)
6) Hit the green button and obtain a "correct" shutter speed.
7) Focus the lens till the green "stop sign" appears.
8) Take the shot and exam the histogram
9) Adjust the shutter speed, using the front e-dial if required OR ....
10) ..... adjust ISO using the Fn button as a second or joint option (with 9 above).

Here are my questions:

1) Any improvements that I can make to this normal operating procedure?
2) What part, if any, should the AE-L button play (I don't understand the use of this button for screw mount lenses)?
3) Are there any other modes that may usefully be selected with my M42's (P, Sv, Tv, Av, Tav)?
4) If so when would you use them in preference to my "normal operating procedure"? (just some simple but pointed examples is what I am after).

01-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Looks like you've got it covered.

Check here - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html for a detailed discussion.
01-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do things a little differently.

Focus Mode switch can stay in AF-C, it still works and gives focus indication
Mode switch can be set to Av. I'll explain why later but it is better,

AE-L is good when you are in AV mode and want to meter on one section of the scene and shoot the entire scene with that setting. AE-L does not do much in manual on the K10 but on the smaller bodies with single thumbwheel I believe it acts like a green button in manual

The reason you want to shoot in Av mode is because when you stop down the lens, the metering reads the scene automatically. Av mode actually works with M42 lenses,

The reason shooting in Av mode is better, ESPECIALLY ON THE K10D is because there is no exposure compensation in metering in M mode on the K10D. All other cameras (*istD, K20D and K7D) with dual thumb wheels have exposure compensation in manual. Exposure compensation is important because my experience is all M42 lenses when used require about +1 stop of compensation. to have to make this correction every time is a real pain, so I dial it in. this allows me to not have to worry about it.
01-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much Lowell for a very helpfull answer, this will allow me to grow my technique and is exactly the type of information I am after.