Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deiberson Quote
i'm assuming that you can only use the AF points on an auto focus lens, correct? a lot of my shots with my manual primes (A and M series lens) are not in focus where I want them to be. the AF selector won;t help in in this example will it?
It should help. The "hexagon" indicating focus in the viewfinder should appear as you get in proper focus. The "beeper" will also "beep" at the same time if it is turned on.

01-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
so if i want the upper right in focus, just aim in the center of the viewfinder like i normally do but make sure i selected the upper right focal point from the af options....?

even with manual focus lenses hugh? i'll have to try it.
01-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #18
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, pre-A lenses (those without auto-aperture settings) render the camera unable to select AF points. Centre is the only point used with such lenses.

But as for utility of the selectable AF points, it's extremely useful for correct focusing of thin DoF shots. In fact it's essential. In most other circumstances, it's acceptable to just lock focus and recompose the scene without focusing error (due to the greater DoF in normal infinity or close-to-infinity focus shots).
01-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
so for a 40mm pankacke M series......there would be no options except for center focus. but for a 50 1.4 A series.....i can select multi focus points?

01-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ash, don't think (I have to check) that you can select AF point either with A lens. Only with AF lens (such as F, FA or DA) you can select AF points.

With MF lenses, it is difficult to lock in focus (when using narrow DOF) while you are composing the picture. I also prefer MF wide angle lens as it is easier to get hyperfocal distance and enough DOF even with larger aperture.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Unfortunately, pre-A lenses (those without auto-aperture settings) render the camera unable to select AF points. Centre is the only point used with such lenses.

But as for utility of the selectable AF points, it's extremely useful for correct focusing of thin DoF shots. In fact it's essential. In most other circumstances, it's acceptable to just lock focus and recompose the scene without focusing error (due to the greater DoF in normal infinity or close-to-infinity focus shots).