Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People recommend blowers because they are pretty safe. Although the sensor is not that delicate, it is not that easy to get it cleaner than when you started. Practice helps. The focus screen and mirror are very delicate. The focus screen is plastic and many cleaning chemicals will melt it. (It may be a good excuse to get a Katzeye screen.) The mirror is silvered on its surface, not like your bathroom mirror, and can be scratched. It's not so easily replaced either. Remember that these two elements aren't in the image capture path either, so they don't nered to be spotless.

01-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #17
alphalt

Thank you all for very good tips and help. Now I will live with these spots on camera until I buy some stuff. But please tell me from your experience is it better to use swab with eclipse or pentax sensor cleaner ? I read a lot of topics about this and I think that lenspen is no so good for this purpose. So please give me some good advices.
01-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #18
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by alphalt Quote
Thank you all for very good tips and help. Now I will live with these spots on camera until I buy some stuff. But please tell me from your experience is it better to use swab with eclipse or pentax sensor cleaner ? I read a lot of topics about this and I think that lenspen is no so good for this purpose. So please give me some good advices.
I've used eclipse ok.
I wouldn't recommend a lens pen.
01-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alphalt Quote
For sensor cleaning, use a product designed for sensor cleaning.
I don't know if I've been fortunate, or if I'm doing something really right, but I use canned gas for my routine sensor cleaning, and in 6 years of DSLR use, I've had to wet clean a sensor once.
The Nattering Nellies tend to have kittens about the canned gas. I ignore them. My sensors stay clean.
I used a lens pen once (for lens cleaning).
That was enough to turn me off that product for life.
I think they are pretty much garbage.
BTW, sensor spots show up a lot worse at small lens apertures.

01-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
haha!

I remember my first viewfinder contamination.
Took me on a pretty wild dust chase, which ended by none other than... "more dust"
Now... both our main bodies have specs, hairs and whatever else crawled up in there to laugh at us. But... I don't even notice it anymore.

When I've had enough, I take the screens out and clean them in warm soapy water(then rinse them in two distlilled baths) and blowdry the dropplets off with a blowdrier(clamp them well).

Do yourself a favor.
Don't get caught up on the viewfinder grain train.
It's a battle you simply can't win.

Good luck!
And happy shooting
01-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #21
alphalt

I just got response e-mail from Pentax service center. They recommend to use O-ICK1 cleaning kit from Pentax (of cource) . I've searched a lot of forums and found that users are pretty happy with it. Some post were old so they claimed about big price and difficult to find. Now these days it is rather cheap (if compare to SensorSwab + Eclipse) and not difficult to find. So I think I'm gonna use this solution for my sensor cleaning. Hope this will help. I've even read about that this kit from pentax removes fingerprints from lenses.