Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Download only 'new' images on k-x. Is it possible?

Previously when using my old C*n*n G3, the supplied download utility allowed me to select just “New” images (those not previously downloaded). Is there such a function when using a k-x with the supplied software? Or is there other software (freeware?) that can provide this?

Thanks in advance

01-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Igilligan

Not sure exactly what you are asking... but on an xp laptop... if I accidently forget to erase/format a card after download and then shoot a bunch more shots... When I go to down load, it only downloads the new shots...

Is that what you are asking?
01-20-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just manually copy; select first file that is not copied yet, select last file that is not copied yet, copy and paste. Functionality provided by OS, no additional software required.
01-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Memory card reader? All my computers have them built in. I don't think I've ever used the manufacturer's transfer utility. I just take the memory card out, pop it into my PC, and go from there. As for software, I'm using Lightroom, but Picasa (free) works for very basic editing.

Edit: Wanted to add that the K-X creates folders to store images by date, if that's helpful.

01-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks all for the responses so far. Perhaps a few more details might clarify my requirements.

Typically, my process is as follows:

1. take a few shots (kids doing something cute again)
2. download said few shots to view on monitor
3. repeat as above until the card is (near) full. Then backup card contents to cd/dvd and reformat card.

The reasons for following the above process are
a. It can take me a month or 2 to fill a card - don't want to wait that long to see the results - and backing up after each partial download can be tedious
b. In case of either hard drive or card failure, I like to ensure there are multiple copies of my images where possible, until backed up.

What Igilligan (Gus) mentions above it what I am aiming to achieve - And I am using XP, but when I attempted this using the standard XP utilities I didn't get that result. Was your camera set up as PTP or MSC? Where there any settings on XP that I should adjust? Which XP utility did you use?

Thanks again.
01-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Picasa (free from Google) works pretty close to what you want. I use this method on vacation with my laptop.
1. Photos
2. Put card in card reader.
3. Start Picasa. Click on Import button.
4. Picasa will show you small versions of what's on the card, with new photos already selected by default for download. It allows you to choose a directory to copy them to, existing or new.

I use RAW, and Picasa won't change the PEF files, so it works well as a preview of the images, with simple editing available. You might be able to set it up to automatically detect when you put the card in. I disable that kind of thing because it bothers me.
01-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is not a function of the camera but rather a function of the application (utility). Many software utility can do that; also on the K-x or other models, the images are stored by folders. So over a period of time, the images are stored in the SD card but they will be in folders so you will know which one you will download and which one you have already downloaded.

01-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Inactive Account

You can do what you want in windows from the command line with the xcopy command.

If you have your card in a card reader where it's seen as a removable drive, suppose F:, and the photos are in f:\DCIM\,
and the directory where you want your photos to go is, say,
C:\My Documents\Photos\

Hit Windows-R, or from the start menu, select "run", enter the word CMD and hit enter.

The command for copying just the new files each time is:

xcopy /m /s f:\DCIM\*.* "C:\My Documents\Photos\"

The command for copying everything is:

xcopy /s f:\DCIM\*.* "C:\My Documents\Photos\"

The command for copying files created or modified on or after
a particular date is:

xcopy /D:m-d-y /s f:\DCIM\*.* "C:\My Documents\Photos\"
(Note: the m-d-y order might change based on your system date display settings)

From a command prompt, you can run
xcopy /?
to see the long list of options to allow you to modify what it copies and how it handles certain things.
01-28-2010, 01:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SelfGovern Quote
You can do what you want in windows from the command line with the xcopy command.
Somebody who still knows a command line in Windows.
01-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, SelfGovern, that's painful. Do yourself a favor and install Cygwin to get a real command-line interface. You won't be sorry!