Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2010, 04:17 AM   #1

Clarification: Non Weather Sealed Lens on K-7

I've never owned a DSLR or SLR for that matter. I currently take my photos with a WeatherProofed point and shoot. Most of my photos are taken out side while Backpacking/camping/hiking. It's rare that I've needed the WeatherProofing, but just in case, it does come in handy. I've slipped and fell into a river, got caught in a down poor, got splashed by Shamu, and had some nasty wind/dust attack me. That's really about it. About 90% of the time I probably wouldn't need a WR lens.

What I'm curious about is, what would be in more danger using a K-7 with a non WR lens in one of the above situations: The lens, or the camera body? Or both?

01-20-2010, 06:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The camera is weather sealed. It isn't in danger. I've seen horror videos on YouTube of people rinsing their K-7's off under a shower head to clean them.

The lens is what's in danger. If you're not using a weather sealed lens, you stand a decent chance of killing it, especially if you plan on falling into the river again.

The good thing is Pentax is definitely moving to weather sealing their lenses; hopefully the ones that are WR will be the ones you need!
01-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
well, I will try my best not to go into the river again, it was quite cold and I was a ways from the camp site.

So, just to clarify again, the K-7 then must have a seal where the lens connects to it to prevent water/dust from entering at the mount point?
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's certainly possible that if you *really* screw up, enough water could enter the system to get into the camera - either getting into the lens then migrating to the camer,a or just coming in the mount. But if you take even semi-reasonable care, that just isn't likely. So avoid using expensive lenses in those conditions unless you keep them protected (plastic bags, etc). Old MF lenses are great, as they contain no electronics to screw up, although it's certainly possible that with *enough* stuff inthe lens, you could ruin it optically or mechanically. Again, in practice, that just doesn't happen if you're reasonably careful - it's electronics that are in most danger.

01-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nitewulf Quote
So, just to clarify again, the K-7 then must have a seal where the lens connects to it to prevent water/dust from entering at the mount point?
No, it doesn't have. WR lenses have seal at the mount.
So if you fall into a river with a non-WR lens on your K-7 then both your lens and camera is in danger as water can get into the cam at the bayonet/lens mount.
01-21-2010, 03:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Also, keep in mind, while 'weather resistant" is a very cool feature for the K-7, it does not necessarily make it, or claim to be "water proof". I'd still use common sense when taking my K-7 out into the slop.

Jason
01-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #7

Note that the difference between the P&S and WR is that the P&S is waterproof... K7 is water resistant... as such I have no worries in rain (when matched to a WR lens) but dont have the confidence to completely immerse it in water. (as you can do it was waterproof)

I would take extra care if part of the kit is not WR... I did have a small experience shooting with the K20D and 18-55 AL2 (not WR), cant be sure if was during a lenschange or via lens use but noticed some strange camera behaviour for a few hours after (e.g. camera would not shut off when turning off power).
If the Lens is not WR then water can enter the camera through the lensmount and cause some havoc with the electronics.
01-21-2010, 04:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did river crossings during hikes; had to swim one day across a river pulling/pushing backpack in waterproof bag. Unfortunately I did not realize that the bag got torn while I carried it at the river bank. Result: everything that was not packed in ziploc bags was sopping wet (dirty clothes, cellphone), everything else was fine (clean clothes, P&S camera).

Lesson: wrap your stuff in an additional ziploc bag. The cellphone had one allocated as well, but I forgot to put it back in it the evening before.

01-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Proper care is important. I have a K20 and weather sealed lenses and they hold up great to both dust and weather. At the same time, I wouldn't immerse my camera in water and expect the seals to hold.