Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #46
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by MikesChevelle Quote
Off topic but does anyone know what this cream colored dot is on my lense. It doesnt line up with the ap or focus ring nor the red dot on the mount.
It's so blind people can mount the lens ... or sighted people can mount it in the dark.

The mount is at 9 o'clock (correction, 8 0'clock) and orange dot is at 10 o'clock.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-22-2010 at 07:52 PM.
01-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Off topic but does anyone know what this cream colored dot is on my lense. It doesnt line up with the ap or focus ring nor the red dot on the mount.
With film bodies the dot aligns with lock release lever, therefore enabling you to mount a lens in the dark or light proof bag by feel only.

Cheers, Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:51 PM.
01-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #48

Just got the same lens in the mail today. I like it so far for the price.

Glad you figured it out.
01-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by basso4735 Quote
Just got the same lens in the mail today. I like it so far for the price.

Glad you figured it out.
Best $4 I ever spent

01-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #50
Pentaxian

I did take a few at a low ISO yesterday and was still getting a few washes. I wonder if since the lens was so cold from being out with the mail man that is was just moving slow?
Did you follow the instructions on dividing the guide number by the distance to your subject in order to calculate the appropriate aperture? If so, then your lens might indeed have slow blades. But if you didn't follow the advice that has been patiently explained to you several times on how to control exposure with manual lenses, then that right there explains your results. You can't ignore the instructions and expect your pictures to turn out.
01-23-2010, 04:16 PM   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Did you follow the instructions on dividing the guide number by the distance to your subject in order to calculate the appropriate aperture? If so, then your lens might indeed have slow blades. But if you didn't follow the advice that has been patiently explained to you several times on how to control exposure with manual lenses, then that right there explains your results. You can't ignore the instructions and expect your pictures to turn out.
I was trying. A few of my first pics were way brighter than some of my others later in the evening, with the same setups. So I am guessing the blades were slow from being in the cold with the delivery guy. Now the lense is acting like it should, and while Im still learning, I am at least getting different results with different settings. In the beggining I was getting the same result (washed out) with all settings.
01-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #52
Pentaxian

I was trying. A few of my first pics were way brighter than some of my others later in the evening, with the same setups. So I am guessing the blades were slow from being in the cold with the delivery guy. Now the lense is acting like it should, and while Im still learning, I am at least getting different results with different settings. In the beggining I was getting the same result (washed out) with all settings.
Stop the lens all the way down and look at the aperture blades. Do they look oily? In old lenses, sometimes the oil from other mechanical parts of the lens can migrate onto the blades. When this happens, rather than making them slide over each other more easily, the oil actually makes the blades stick to each other, slowing them down or stopping them altogether.

If there is oil on the blades, the only way to remove it is to dissassemble the lens and clean each blade with a solvent. This is not a job for the faint of heart.
01-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #53
Inactive Account

Responses

First of all, I thought the first Digital Pentax cameras with P-TTL were the K10 and K100 cameras. I remember all the groaning and gnashing of teeth over the fact that people wouldn't be able to use their TTL flashes with the new cameras.

Second, The M lenses are full manual. There is no camera control with them other than closing the aperture at picture time. If the aperture blades are dragging, there is the possibility of dirt/oil on them even if you cannot see it. It doesn't take much and it only need be on one. Oil on an aperture (or shutter) blade will create a near vacuum between the blades, almost gluing them together. Set your lens to f22 and actuate the lever on the back of the lens. There should be no delay in the aperture closing back down.

Third, MY suggestion is forget about the on camera flash. Spend an extra $10 and get yourself a Vivitar 550FD to go with that $4 lens. It has a 6 volt trigger voltage, will allow you to use TTL where applicable, and Auto when you use your M lenses. Set the aperture and ISO on the flash and shoot away. The unit is good to 8-10 feet in with a 50mm lens and should fill your in-room needs quite nicely. In 3 cycles of "upgrade" I've yet to see a built in flash that was worth beans. The $10 vivitar has out shined all of them.

YMMV

01-24-2010, 10:17 AM   #54

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-articles/2345-pentax-dslrs-su...ttl-flash.html

I think the OP has a ISTDL and it does not have TTL support. It only has P-TTL.

I agree with you on the Vivitar 550FD, it is a good TTL flash. There is also the Vivitar 600 Series 1 M/P/O that is exactly the same flash but with a swivel and zoom head and sometimes sells for $10 - often times cheaper than the 550FD - more features but cheaper - don't know why. I got a 600 and it works fine for me. It got 6V trigger voltage. Maybe after I posted this message, it is not going to be cheaper!

These two flashes can still be used in auto mode on the ISTDL.

Last edited by ma318; 01-24-2010 at 10:36 AM.
01-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #55
Inactive Account

TTL vs P-TTL

I did know the flavor of camera we were dealing with here but thought that the K series digitals were the first with PTTL. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected. When the K10d was first introduced, people lost their minds over the fact that it was P-TTL and they would be forced into the AF540 to get full advantage of the camera. People who had just bought the flagship Metz flashes were especially miffed. Didn't matter much to me as the K10d was my first in the DSLR journey. Sigma quickly responded with a P-TTL upgrade to their 500 line, I believe as did a couple others. Metz was touch and go for about a year as to whether or not they would even be supporting Pentax any further.

I mention the 550FD because that's the one I have personal experience with from back in my Olympus OM1n/OM4 days (still have the Oly equipment). I've used it quite a bit when using the Manual lenses on the Pentax where I wanted a smaller flash. One may think it a pain to continuously change the flash settings but that's not really the case. In a single situation, once you find one that works, it's pretty much point, focus, and shoot.

Truthfully, Any flash with Auto capability will do nicely. At the very least, one where the ISO and Aperture can be set. One just has to be careful about the trigger voltages so they don't let the smoke out of the camera.

Either way, good luck to the OP in getting the best results possible..

01-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #56

Concur on the auto flashes. They work fine for me too. I like to shoot in Manual mode anyway when using my flashes so manually setting the ISO and aperture is no big deal for me. I actually bought a few of these auto flashes because they are different in sizes. Just need to double check the trigger voltage.