Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Buying a K-7, need help choosing the extras

Hi all,

I'm planning on picking up my first DSLR in a week or two, a K-7. Compared to the Canons and Nikons I've also been reading about, the K-7 seems like such a perfect match for what I want to do/think I'll be doing. And a great value for what you get!

So I've been trying to read as much as possible about lenses over the last week and have a few questions before I make my purchase.

Because of the current $100/lens rebate (when buying w/ the camera), I'm thinking I want to (and can afford to) get either the kit (w/ 18-55) plus one other lens as well - OR - the body plus two lenses.

Should I stick with the kit's 18-55 or go with the DA 17-70 f4? The kit is only $100 more than the body compared to almost $500 for the 17-70. The kit's WR feature is appealing...

For a tele-zoom, I was looking at the DA 55-300, but I see the Tamron 28-300 seems to be highly regarded, and with a greater range. Does anyone have experience with both these lenses? Is the Tamron worth giving up the $100 rebate for? However... I could also see myself going for the 55-200 WR if I ended up with the kit 18-55 WR - just to have the WR feature, although loosing a LOT of reach.

(I keep bring up the WR feature as I really enjoy both nature and travel photog and it would be nice to not have to worry if it started to rain or snow, or if I was on a boat with water spray, or in a dusty desert environment, etc. But I'm not sure how much a non-WR lens would be fine with - or realistically - how much more a WR lens could take.)

For a fast, wide prime, it looks like there isn't a current Pentax lens that matches what I want - I'm thinking of something in the 20mm to 30mm range, and at least f2.8. I see Sigma makes a 30mm f1.4. Any insights here? I'm thinking waiting on this might be better so I can get an idea of what shooting with 20, 25, 30, etc. is really like.

Also, regarding memory cards, is the Sandisk Extreme III pretty much the best choice for me? I was thinking of getting 2x 8gb cards.

Thanks for any help!
Greg

01-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When i pick up a K7 i'll automatically get a grip because 50% of my shots are vertical, also the grip gets you the diversity of having the ability to use AA batteries...#1 priority with any system for me i'm anal about that

I have the 16-50, 50 and 50-135 lenses to be used with it already plus some others need not need mentioning as the ones i've mentioned will cover most if not everything i shoot.

Now if these aren't in your budget the 17-70 from the specs and reviews i've read have it a very capable "everyday" lens with much better glass vs the current kit 18-55 which imo is very capable but needs better or better controlled light in most situations.

If still not in the budget i would go "old" school and get before they're gone; 10-17, 16-45 and 50-200 plus you might want to add a very small flash to help indoors with very low light when the K7 can't compensate.

Whatever you end up with i'm sure you'll find a work around as most who shoot Pentax are very capable shooters imo (i've learn't to appreciate that since joining this forum)
01-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Damn Brit

You don't say how experienced you are but the kit lens is a good and cheap way to get started. For two lenses, the best 'kit' to start with both financially and range wise would be the 18-55 and 50-200. The financial outlay for these choices will be minimal as a kit and will give you a chance to learn what focal lengths are most important to you. When it comes time to upgrade, you should be able to sell the lenses for a reasonable return on your outlay.

Welcome to the forum.
01-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info Clicker (and "Hi" from across the lake!). I'd say I want to spend around $1500 for the camera and first lens or two - but it's flexible.

Gary, this will be my first DSLR. I had a 35mm SLR about 15 years ago but was only a beginner with it. I have a base knowledge of the major technical aspects like f-stop, depth of field, iso, etc... but my "hands-on" experience is pretty much zero. I've been using various point-n-clicks for the last 10 years and have been getting more and more serious the last year or two and feel I need to "step-up".

Greg

01-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't know where you read about the Tamron 28-300 being well-regarded, but it's pretty much a given that these ancinet superzooms are not nearly as good as modern of similar range (eg, the 18-250's), much less modern lenses of smaller range.

I'd concur on waiting to buy the prime until you have a better idea what focal lengths you like and what apertures you think you're realistically need. Maybe get a cheap MF lens (28's and 50's are easily found for $50 or less) just to get experience in even having those larger apertures available - and who knows, you might end up liking it so much you lose your desire to spend hundreds on a new one.
01-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
18-250 Pentax

When I got my K20D I looked at a lot of lens reviews. The Tamron 18-250mm sample photos were much sharper than any kit lens from any manufacturer. That was a year ago and there's an 18-270mm now. I'd still go for the Pentax version because its coating is much more resistant to flare.

If you really want to step up from the kit lens look at the 16-50 DA* lens. The 2.8 aperture is significantly faster and it's weather sealed. F-4 just isn't that much of an improvement over the kit. The Sigma 18-50 2.8 is a viable choice at a good price. I have no problems with Sigma. The sometimes have back focusing problems but you can fix that in camera. I've read good things about the Tamron 17-50mm but have never tried one.

Otherwise I'd go with the kit or a super zoom like I got. Oh, and save some cash for a good tripod and possibly a flash.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend A City in Photographs 365
01-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
Given your budget, I'd be inclined to suggest the Tamron 17-50 with the Pentax 55-300 to go with your K-7 - this combination is a keeper and should give you the flexibility to photograph most things in most situations.

However the kit lens option isn't bad either - the 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR are good lenses (not excellent) and can take the weather test that no third party lens can match. So the choice is yours.
01-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Welcome to the forum.
Given your budget, I'd be inclined to suggest the Tamron 17-50 with the Pentax 55-300 to go with your K-7 - this combination is a keeper and should give you the flexibility to photograph most things in most situations.

However the kit lens option isn't bad either - the 18-55 WR and 50-200 WR are good lenses (not excellent) and can take the weather test that no third party lens can match. So the choice is yours.
I think that is my 2 lens selection in the event that I had to only choose two lenses. darn it, I need 1-2 more primes added atleast.

01-28-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I agree with Ash, Tamron 17-50 and DA 55-300. Depending on where you get it, the K7 with the kit runs about the same as the K7 without the kit. The kit lens on the K7 is weather resistant and I would go ahead and get it. Even if you decide you don't need that option, you can easily sell it for 115-120, but without a doubt it is the cheapest way to get a completely weather resistant camera out there.
01-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys!

Pentaxor - a prime would be my 3rd choice! Maybe 4th and even 5th as well.

Anyone have direct experience with both the DA* 16-50 and the Tam 17-50? Is one or the other a clear winner?

Thanks again!
Greg
01-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregX999 Quote
Thanks for the advice guys!

Pentaxor - a prime would be my 3rd choice! Maybe 4th and even 5th as well.

Anyone have direct experience with both the DA* 16-50 and the Tam 17-50? Is one or the other a clear winner?

Thanks again!
Greg
due to reliability issues of the DA*16-50 and shorter warranty, the Tamron 17-50 is the clear winner.