Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PSS Quote
I picked up a cheap K1000 on ebay. I was advised to buy the SMCP-M 50mm f/1.4 lens to complement. In attempting to price this lens, there obviously seems to be different versions, right? Excuse my ignorance, but it seems as if the recommended lens is manual (hence the M?), whereas the one being recommended for the K-7 here has AF.
The lenses with the letter "D" or "F" in the name are autofocus, the rest are not - and that includes the ones marked "M". "M" doesn't actually stand for manual - all lenses were manual when these lenses were produced. Probably stands for "miniature", since their big claim to fame was being smaller than the old line.

Anyhow, there are indeed several different 50/1.4's. The FA & F versions are autofocus, the "A" is manual focus but supports full autoexposure, and the version "M is completely manual, as is the one that lacks of any these letters (sometimes these are referred to as "K", even though that letters doesn't appear on the lens). The 50/1.4's aren't necessarily better than the 50/1.7's (but either *is* better than the 50/2's), so I'd personally suggest a 50/1.7 instead of a 50/1.4 since the 1/7's are cheaper. Unless you decide you need autofocus; the autofocus 1.7's are harder to find and not necessarily much cheaper than the FA50/1.4, which is the only one of these still available through normal channels (eg, as opposed to buying used on Ebay).

01-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #17

I would definitely err on the side of "too much power" rather than "too little power".

My first SLR was a Minolta Maxxum 7000. That camera was pretty powerful for its day -- the first auto-focus camera with automatic film drive. You could run that thing totally automatically like a point & shoot, and I often did when I first got it. Then a few years later I took a photography class and learned how to really run it manually (I knew how before, but didn't understand the 'art' of it).

Then I moved to a world of digital point & shoots, my last camera being the Canon Powershot G3. I choose that camera because it had a similar ability to be run totally manually if I desired, with lots of modes between that and fully automatic. It even had a flash shoe, pretty unusual on a P&S although I never used it. Now I have a K20D which I've had for about a week now. Although truthfully it's way more camera than I need, I'm happy to have the power there "in reserve" for if and when I ever need it. The only reason I'm even wondering if I should have considered the K7 is due to the video capability, and frankly I think I'd prefer a separate camcorder, even though that will probably cost me more than the difference between the K20D and the K7... If you're looking to save a bit of money, the K20D is still available new for a lot less than the K7 if you look around. I paid about $560 with the lens kit.

Anyway good luck whatever you choose.
01-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #18
PSS

Original Poster
Again, everyone thanks so much for the help.

Mark, while I've tried consulting the Pentax lens forum, it is somewhat overwhelming. Let me simplify my question(s). My plan is to get the K-7 with the 18-55mm kit lens. Which additional lens would you suggest for the K1000, and will it be compatible with the K-7? It seems that most of the lens, per the chart in the forum, would work with both.
01-24-2010, 03:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the you should consider the kx, I recently picked one up and it is more than enough camera for me. The money saved can be invested in more lens, like a good tele.

And to answer your question any pentax lens works with any pentax camera. So all your 1000's will carry forward to the new digital camera you purchase. My fav lens happens to be from my fathers k1000.

01-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #20
Forum Member

I too am just getting into the digital world. I just picked up a nice K100D Super with the basic 18-55 kit lens. I did some researching and felt that with my lack of expereince and limited budget this was the best fit for me. I am sure the K7 is great but I did not have the funds for it and I also felt the camera might have been too much for me to learn, but everyone is different.
01-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PSS Quote
Let me simplify my question(s). My plan is to get the K-7 with the 18-55mm kit lens. Which additional lens would you suggest for the K1000, and will it be compatible with the K-7? It seems that most of the lens, per the chart in the forum, would work with both.
If you have a K1000 with no lens at all, then a 50 makes sense. No reason to spend money on AF since the K1000 doens't support it anyhow, and 50mm isn't nearly as useful a focal length on the K-7 (although it does have its uses). The f/1.7 lenses are, I think, the best compromise between cost and quality. So it's really down to whether you want to pay $30-$40 for the M or $60-$80 for the A. If you're going to be using on the K1000, you'll be needing to use the aperture ring there, so might as well get the "M" version so you can use the lens more or less the same way on both camera, and the "A" version's aperture ring might not stand up to much use. So, my vote is, M50/1.7, which shouldn't cost more than $30 if you watch Ebay, craiglists, pawn shops, the marketplace forum here, etc - or maybe a little more if you get tired of playing that game and want to just buy from a dealer that practically always has this available, like keh.com.
01-25-2010, 03:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I upgraded from a D40 to a K-7 within two years. Don't make the same mistake as me; buy the most camera you can afford from the outset.
The general wisdom is to get the camera that reaches your minimum requirements, and get the best lenses that you can afford. I mostly agree with this, although I think with digital cameras, newer or more advanced ones have some important advantages, e.g. high ISO performance and auto-focus speed and capability. Unless you have very specific requirements, like night shooting or fast action shooting, it's still true that great shots can be taken was average gear, it just makes it harder, and if you intend to make nice big prints, the quality or lack-there-of will show a bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
Let me pile on to the discussion and vouch for the 18-55 being a damn fine lens. I simply can't agree with this comment above:

The current version of the 18-55 is a great performer, and no zoom can touch it in the image quality-vs-size department. I may own and love the 16-50, but there's no way I'd give up my kit lens. Sometimes you just need something smaller than that giant hunk of DA* glass hanging off the front of your camera. And the step down in IQ when going to the 18-55 is far less than the step down in size. I think thekit lens totally justifies its own existence.

To the OP, don't listen to anyone who wants to bash the kit lens. Of course it's not the greatest lens ever made...that's why it's so affordable. But it may be as good for the money and good for the size as anything else you'll ever find.

But I will concede the part that immediately followed that statement in the post above:

It's true that if IQ is the most important thing to you, you're better off with the best lens you can afford. The image quality between different levels of camera bodies nowadays is very slight, and the glass can make a bigger difference. But again, that's not any sort of proof that the 18-55 sucks. In fact, it's great. It's just less great than some of the other tremendous Pentax lenses out there.
My 18-55 wasn't great - although this was the first version and the II is meant to be better. It's still good for a kit lens, and I still took lots of shots I like with it - it's just they would've been better in IQ with a better lens. It's true no better zoom can match it for size/weight, this is simply because of all the compromises made to make the 18-55 so small and cheap. If you want f/2.8 zoom glass, the fact is it won't be small. Something like the Sigma 24-60mm I have is a lot smaller than the 16-50 Pentax though (I think). After I got the Sigma, I haven't touched the 18-55.

If you really need tiny, consider primes.

In my opinion, spending $1000 on a camera body, then sticking a $50 slow zoom lens on the front is a bit of a waste.

-------------
Given all this, the 18-55 is a good focal range to learn with, and if you're just beginning, you probably won't really require much more until you decide what you need for what you shoot - as others have said.
01-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #23
PSS

Original Poster
The K-7 has been ordered with the kit lens... thanks so much to everyone for all of the advice. I also picked up a 50mm f/1.4 (M) for the K1000. I'm sure I'll be back for more help.

01-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
PSS: The K-7 has been ordered with the kit lens... thanks so much to everyone for all of the advice. I also picked up a 50mm f/1.4 (M) for the K1000. I'm sure I'll be back for more help.
Congratulations and best of luck to you. Now you can begin having lots of fun with this amazing camera. Once you feel the time is right, and the piggy bank is full, then you can start searching out new lens candidates. When you do, there will be plenty of people here to assist if you so desire. BTW, I owned that M 50mm 1.4--it is a nice lens and you'll have fun using it on the K7 someday too.