Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #16

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am a newbie with a K20D, too, and went with the A 50/1.7 as my second lens for low light based on recommendations here. It is a great lens, and ran me $85 in excellent condition off the big auction site. It is more fun to use than the kit lens, and manual focusing is no biggie, at least for stationary targets. Not using the auto aperture mode, though, would seem to be a big hassle (at least for this newbie). I just couldn't afford the FA version when I bought the A, and after using the A, I am quite content with it, which is unusual for me. Good luck!

01-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Even the "A" versions are becoming expensive and I can't justify buying a 50mm focal length for more than $50.
I should have bought them when they where still going for that price..but alas, that was the past and even the "M" ones have skyrocketing prices.
01-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #18

Original Poster
I've been searching the local Craigslist and have seen several old film cameras sold with a 50mm A lens. But when I enquire about the condition and if they would split it off (they're usually in a package with 2-3 other lenses I don't need, plus the camera) they don't even bother responding, even if they I tell them to let me know either way because I still might be interested. This is true even if I respond minutes after the listing is posted...

Guess I'm just not lucky

I'd vastly prefer an AF lens but would settle for an A lens. Don't think I want to venture into the world of stop-down metering quite yet, but I'm glad the camera can support it if I ever choose to.

Last edited by tfischer; 01-23-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: revise something where I wrote the opposite of what I meant
01-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #19
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by tfischer Quote
I've been searching the local Craigslist and have seen several old film cameras sold with a 50mm A lens. But when I enquire about the condition and if they would split it off (they're usually in a package with 2-3 other lenses I don't need, plus the camera) they don't even bother responding, even if they tell me to let me know either way because I still might be interested. This is true even if I respond minutes after the listing is posted...

Guess I'm just not lucky

I'd vastly prefer an AF lens but would settle for an A lens. Don't think I want to venture into the world of stop-down metering quite yet, but I'm glad the camera can support it if I ever choose to.
Quite often the kit will be cheaper (or close enough to make it worthwhile) than buying a single lens. This is because the seller with the single lens know what he has. Buy the kit, if you don't want everything, take the lens you want and sell the rest as a kit on Craigslist for a little less than you paid for it.

01-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #20

I now have two 50mm lenses. I snagged an A f/2 lens off CL with K1000 body, both in excellent condition for $25. It's plenty fast enough for most situations and the A helps with video mode. Thing is, I find myself taking most of my indoor pictures of the kids at around f2.8 because the DOF is a bit wider.

I do have a faster Ricoh XR Rikonen f/1.7, fully manual of course, but the DOF is so narrow that it becomes much tougher to focus. I use it for still subjects, or sometimes portraits. When I do use it on portraits, I take a ton of pictures at 4.7fps, rocking the focus around what I think is in focus. I snagged this lense for aboug $40 off CL.
01-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Even the "A" versions are becoming expensive and I can't justify buying a 50mm focal length for more than $50.
I should have bought them when they where still going for that price..but alas, that was the past and even the "M" ones have skyrocketing prices.
I think it's just a question of patience. Sure, on any given day there might be someone offering a lens for too much money, but 50mm lenses are still quite cheap if you keep your eyes out. If you're willing to settle for the f/2 version, you can *always* get an A50/2 from KEH for under $50, but if you simply monitor Ebay for a few days and place some bids, you shouldn't have any trouble scoring the much better f/1.7 version. If you get tired of waiting, even the buy-it-now prices are generally under $100. This really is no different from the situation 4 years ago when I bought mine.
01-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #22
Forum Member

I just received my 50mm A1.7 I bought "buy it now" for $78 +$12 shipping. It's amazing compared to the kit lens with the K-7 indoors.

I even tried it out on manual with stop down metering. That'll take some practice. Focusing in live view on the K-7 with the magnification (info button) is quite fun.

I definitely recommend all newbies like me to pick one up if you can get one for under $100 or so.
That'll definitely drive the price up

01-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think it's just a question of patience. Sure, on any given day there might be someone offering a lens for too much money, but 50mm lenses are still quite cheap if you keep your eyes out. If you're willing to settle for the f/2 version, you can *always* get an A50/2 from KEH for under $50, but if you simply monitor Ebay for a few days and place some bids, you shouldn't have any trouble scoring the much better f/1.7 version. If you get tired of waiting, even the buy-it-now prices are generally under $100. This really is no different from the situation 4 years ago when I bought mine.
I actually know where I can get the Pentax-A 50mm 1:2 for only $25.
It is in my local Pawnshop but I wouldn't want to go with that either.
I guess if, it is meant to be that I get the A-50 1:1.7 or 1:4, I would get one unexpectedly in a bargain or on a find.
I am now toying more with the idea of the FA 50 rather than the Manual "M" or "A" since I am more amenable to the idea that the AF ones are indeed priced high and I see ones go for only $150.
01-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I see ones go for only $150.
Care to reveal your sources? I don't think I've seen one go for less than $200...

Granted I've only been watching for about 2 weeks.
01-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Care to reveal your sources? I don't think I've seen one go for less than $200...

I think you're closer to where things are currently. Certainly for the FA 50/1.4 and 1.7, and now it seems even for the F 50/1.7, one needs to expect to pay over $200. But all in all, I still don't think that is totally out of whack for what you are getting. The A 50/1.7 seems to be coming in around $75-$100, and the M 50/1.7 seems to generally fall around $50-$75.
01-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Keep your eyes peeled, and be patient.
I've seen them here at the marketplace or at times on eBay.
The prices keep jacking up 'coz there are people out there willing to pay a higher price.
Just look at the marketplace here, if an item doesn't go for an asking price for a long time (no biters), the seller usually lowers the price.
I've seen it at Walmart too, if they have too many items of one kind, they mark them down, if that doesn't still sell, they mark them down more the following week.
The key here is patience and wait for the right price..but being in a world where there are too many factors, you will only need one person to screw up a bidding or the price for an item for sale.
This is also the reason why, one is not permitted to comment on the price on the Marketplace, since, somebody might want to get it for the asking price and not the true price an item is going for.
That is respect for the seller too.
Anyway, too much rant from me..
01-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #27

Original Poster
I don't mean to belabor the point, but the prices I'm seeing (both here in the marketplace and on eBay) are way higher than you folks are quoting.

Here's an example:
SMC Pentax A 50mm f1.4 Fast Normal Lens Made in Japan - eBay (item 310195989316 end time Jan-28-10 09:40:52 PST)
01-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

That's the A50/1.4, which does indeed usually come in around $200. It's the A50/1.7 or M50/1.4 that can usually be had for under $100. M50/1.7 cheaper still, and the f/2 versions cheaper still.