Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #1

K-x and lens guidance

I'm seriously considering the K-x over the Canon T1i and the Nikon D500. However, having not made it to a store to handle them, I'm not 100 percent yet. This will be my first venture into DSLR and photography generally as a hobby.

Being a complete noob to this stuff, it's so much info to soak up. One big question I have is whether to go with the body only, the 1 lens kit or the twin lens kit (up to 300mm zoom). It's probably more economical to go with a kit, but does it make more sense to purchase the body only and choose slightly better lenses, be it Pentax, Tamron or Sigma? If you have any suggestions on great lenses for reasonable price (couple to several hundred buck), please pass it on.

I'm really interested in wildlife, landscapes and macro shots. I don't have kids yet of the age I need to capture sports, etc., but I'm sure that day will come. That's why the twin lens kit is enticing. However,maybe it's better to get single lens kit and purchase a telephoto lens separately.

And although I loathe family portraits, I'm sure it'll get double duty doing that as well.

Any help is appreciated.

01-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The 18-55 is solid, especially when stopped down. The K-x lens correction feature helps. If you decide on K-x, definitely go for the two lens kit with the overachieving 55-300mm. You can do some pretty impressive macro shots with a $50 Raynox DCR-150 mounted on the 55-300mm. Next I would suggest a fast fifty for low light and portraits.
01-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have to agree with ab above. Yes there are better lenses than the "kit" lens, but not that much better, I used mine alot even when I had supposedly "better" lenses because it has a good focal range and it delivers. It has a very very good "bang for the buck" ratio. Unlike many kit lenses from other mfg's it actually is more than half decent. Check out the "Kit Lens Club" on the lens forum here As you can see from the images, the kit lens can do quite well.
I can't really speak of the 50-300, as I have never owned it, all I can say is that people who do own it speak very highly of it.
If you are just starting out in photography, these two lenses will stand you in good stead until you figure out how you really like to shoot. I'm of the firm opinion that getting more "advanced" lenses should wait until you are a more 'advanced' photographer and know more on what your real preferences are. Once you've been shooting with the camera for at least 6 months or more you will have a much better feel for where you want to go.
I kept my kit lens, the initial 18-55 for over 5 years and used it frequently until I finally gave it to my brother-in-law as part of a birthday camera kit.

NaCl(the kit lens ain't as bad as you think)H2O
01-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm moving this to the beginner's forum, as it isn't about DSLR's specifically, nor is about any particular lens, but is just a general question about entering the Pentax world.

My suggestion is to get the two lens kit with the 55-300, which is a lot cheaper than getting that lens separately (even given that you'll probably want to buy a hood for it since the kit doesn't include one). There's basically no way you'll be happy with just the 18-55 simply because 55mm is way too short for wildlife. Even if you decided to go body only and get a "better" substitute for the 18-55, anything that is actually better is still going to be way too short for wildlife. And for most purpsoes, the 18-55 *is* good enough - at least for the shots that fall within it's range. So might as well put the money toward the additional range you know you need, rather than some vague sense of higher quality that you most likely won't need. At some point, you'll probably need a lens that is "faster" - larger maximum aperture, allowing faster shutter speeds in low light - but until you live with the 18-55 a while, you'll have a hard time gauging what focal lengths you would most want.

01-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
I'm sure you'll find the K-x meets your needs and will continue to do so for quite some time.
Suggestions above are apt - the kit DA 18-55 WR is an excellent start to wide angle to normal photography, and is lightweight and the best quality in its class. The next lens to get is the DA 55-300, which then extends your reach greatly - and you will definitely find this a virtue.

So all the best in your decision and enjoy.
01-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
juu
Veteran Member

I think the K-x + 18-55 + 55-300 kit is an insanely good deal. Both of these lenses are well regarded and even though there are better lenses out there, they cost a lot more too.

There is a link here that may be of use to you:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/85362-pentax-k-x-2-lenses-300-mm.html
01-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Forum Member

I agree with all of the above. Just wanted to point out that I had intended to buy only the K-x body, since I already have enough lenses, but I couldn't find the body-only from a reputable dealer for less than the price of the kit. For a first-time buyer, the kit is a no-brainer.