Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #1

RAW Format

Regards to RAW format, what should I ask myself to which RAW format I should pick?

Are there any differences? Some use DNG and some done.

01-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This has been covered countless times already on this forum. A quick search will get you all the answers you could ever ask for. When searching the forum, there are two search fields. The forum's, and a Google one. Use the Google one, it gives much better results.

A quick list:

- no difference in quality between DNG and PEF

- PEF takes less space on earlier cameras (because it's losslessly compressed), but PEF and DNG take up the same space on the K-7 and maybe Kx (because lossless DNG compression is now supported too)

- PEF format changes from camera model to camera model, so is not always supported by software right away. DNG always stays the same.
01-23-2010, 11:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you and I will search the forum for answers.
01-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The places to search are the post processing forum and the beginner's forum - and the latter is where I'm moving this. There are probably about half a dozen such threads started per month - you should have no trouble finding hundreds if not thousands of posts on the subject over the years.

01-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would recommend DNG with the K-x particularly because many RAW-compatible programs have not yet been updated to support the K-x's version of PEF. The main commercial programs probably have, but there's a lot of interesting non-mainstream stuff out there that you may want to play with sometime...
01-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a start:
The internet's first full-scale Pentax-dedicated camera and photography discussion forum! - Search Results for pef dng