Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Rechargeable Batteries & Filters for KX?

My first DSLR....

Just purchased a Kx kit from Amazon with the 18-55mm & 55-300mm lens for $644.
I'd like to use rechargeable batteries and was considering the eneloops.

I'd also like to buy filters to protect each lens.

What type, brand & size is needed?

What's recommended? THANKS!

01-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
My first DSLR....

Just purchased a Kx kit from Amazon with the 18-55mm & 55-300mm lens for $644.
I'd like to use rechargeable batteries and was considering the eneloops.

I'd also like to buy filters to protect each lens.

What type, brand & size is needed?

What's recommended? THANKS!
I am no expert on filters. But the filters most people seem to use to protect there lenses are UV filters. The one I have is the Pro 1 Digital from Hoya; but I don't use it anymore and just keep the cap on that particular lens (the 55-300mm). And about the batteries. I don't have a Kx but I think the general feeling is that the Eneloops are a safe bet. I use them for my K200D and have no problems with them.
01-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #3

The batteries I use for my Kx are Duracell precharged rechargeables (the ones with the white tops, not the black tops) which have been said to be rebranded Eneloops. Got them for a good deal, and work really well with the Kx.
01-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
Costco has a 12 pack of the white top Duracell batteries for $40 but a charger is not included.
What's a good charger?

01-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #5

I just finished shooting a set of rechargable batteries on my new Kx with the new firmware getting 1,154 shots with Rayovac 1.2v 2100 mAh. Batteries were fully conditioned with a MAHA MH-C801D battery charger before use. No video was shot, a few flash and a couple of Live View to try out the function. Shooting was "normal" (I didn't fire off hundreds of shots in a row to up the count) with review. The battery indicator stayed green to about 500, orange to 750 and went to 1,154 on red. Red, obviously, does not mean change the batteries. When the camera said your batteries are depleted, it meant it. I could not get one more shot after shutting down, taking them out and putting them back in. Your experience, however, could be different. I am going to try a set of expensive lithiums next. Frankly, I am very pleased with the number of shots.
01-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the information.

While I'm at it , what SD card should I get for the Kx (brand-class-gb)?

Trying to understand the difference between "class" size rather than "gb" capacity & what works best with the Kx.
01-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #7

I use an old Maha C204F charger which I don't think you can get anymore unless you buy used.

In a charger I would check if it has a smart charge or trickle charge function (cuts off full charging once batteries are full charged) and that it doesn't overheat the batteries during the charge cycle.
01-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #8

The difference in price (except for SanDisk, they seem to want a premium) between Class 4 and Class 6 is pretty small. I'd just get a Class 6.

I have a PNY class 6 16GB and an A-Data class 4 4GB and both work great, but pictures transfer faster off the PNY card (i use a card reader built into my laptop).

01-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Re UV filters, read this very good lab-test article first:

UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

then buy the filters which they found to be technically great and best value for money too, which are: Hoya HMC UV-0 filters.
01-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seachunk2 Quote
Thanks for the information.

While I'm at it , what SD card should I get for the Kx (brand-class-gb)?

Trying to understand the difference between "class" size rather than "gb" capacity & what works best with the Kx.
If you shoot video, you should get a Class 6. You can get by with lower classes for just pictures. Generally this is only worth it to make use of old cards. If you're buying new, class 6 is not a lot more.

Capacity is up to you, depending on how often you shoot. When I got my camera, 1Gb cards cost $100 and 2Gb cards were huge. Every time higher capacity cards came out, skeptics would say "but what if the card breaks and you lose all those photos?" IMO the card failure rate is low enough to ignore, but a stack of cards is not hard to carry either.

Someone has had each brand of card fail, and they are eager to tell you about it. The main thing about brands is to avoid counterfeit cards, typically from eBay.
01-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Class = a measure of speed. GB = a measure of size.

As for filters, I'd recommend you browse this forum for the dozens of other threads on the topci where many people suggest why UV filters are watse of money that at best only degrade IQ a little while providing only minimal protection. Others simply can't imagine not using them. the decision is personal, but don't be duped by some saleman into thinking they are essential equipment - they very clearly are *not*. It's a tradeoff and a decision you should make yourself after checking out the issues - again, don't 8assume* you need one just because someone told you that you do.
01-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #12

I use protection filters off and on, just depends on what I'm doing and what type of photo I'm taking. If I'm out "knocking" around taking snapshots of my child or in a situation where I know I will be wiping the lens clean often, then the filter usually goes on. I use the lens hoods pretty often also so if that's on, a clear filter isn't necessary needed. I've got a B&W and a Hoya Pro-Digital, both are very nice but for my circular polarizer I bought a Marumi DHG filter and discovered a new favorite. Very economical and a fantastic performer. A good place to find them is West Coast Cameras. The circular polarizer is one filter that should be in your bag! Very helpful to reduce/remove distracting reflections and boose contrast and color in your photos. Plus, you should only need one size, 58MM, for both your lenses.

As for SD cards, I've got ATP, Sandisk and Transcend. All have performed well for me but the Transcend is used in camera that shoots 720p video. So far I've had no failures with any of them (knock on wood) and the performance is acceptable for what I need them to do (recreational still photos and videos of the kiddo riding horses and having birthday parties). I'd recommend the Transcend 16GB Class 6 card at Amazon, comes in frustration-free packaging and can be had for under $50.