Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

suggestions

If you knew someone that was going to be starting school for a degree in photography soon, what equipment would you recommend?

Let's also say, that said person is interested in birding, chipmunks and other quickly moving wildlife.

Is the lack of weather proofing on the K-x pretty bad compared to the average point and shoot?

Thanks!

01-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the K-X would be a good starting camera, but "said person's" school might possibly prefer a film camera for the first few efforts. In any event, the school will require a camera with manual settings available - such as your K-X. "Said person" would not be ready for birding, etc. until he/she is totally familiar with how a camera reacts to the situations. It's tricky! Ask me - I've been the relatively happy owner of a 400mm lens for over 20 years, and am still learning how to use it.
01-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I think the K-X would be a good starting camera, but "said person's" school might possibly prefer a film camera for the first few efforts. In any event, the school will require a camera with manual settings available - such as your K-X. "Said person" would not be ready for birding, etc. until he/she is totally familiar with how a camera reacts to the situations. It's tricky! Ask me - I've been the relatively happy owner of a 400mm lens for over 20 years, and am still learning how to use it.
Well, the K-x is what helped bring me to looking deeper into Pentax.

Thanks for the response so far.
01-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Schools may have camera requirements. They may not make sense, but if the instructor only wants to teach the course using one brand/type of camera, that may be what you have to buy. So check that out first.

01-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Kx makes a great starter camera but, like Al says, whether or not a digital camera is a prerequisite for the school remains to be established: many photography schools, especially where beginners are concerned, use film bodies. If a DSLR is okay, then the Kx, currently available in a two lens kit (covering 18mm to 300mm) as low as $660 @ Amazon would be a great idea--it is hard to imagine you beating a package like that. The longer lens of the kit, the 55-300mm, would allow said person to shoot some wildlife shots too. Also, the nice ISO performance of the Kx would allow for those longer shutter speeds normally associated with longer lens shooting and wildlife. Best!
01-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Schools may have camera requirements. They may not make sense, but if the instructor only wants to teach the course using one brand/type of camera, that may be what you have to buy. So check that out first.
The info I got says a dSLR at least 6 mp and shoot RAW.
01-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Then you're all set

QuoteOriginally posted by winterstar Quote
The info I got says a dSLR at least 6 mp and shoot RAW.
The Kx will certainly fill that requirement. For Years, the requirement of film schools has been a full manual film camera such as the K1000. You may still be asked to pick one up. The reason being, is the camera does nothing for you except capture light on film. You must do all the thinking before the shot is made. With a DSLR, you have some room for error and afterthought. RAW is basically a digital negative in file form. The files are different for each brand and each camera. The information contained in them is what the photo is generated from. The RAW file is NOT in itself a photo (which you will learn in your class).

Don't worry about birding lenses and the such right now. You can pick up a kit with the camera, an 18-55 and a 55-300 lenses for under $800 (US), or much less with minimal hunting. That and a good SD card should be all you need for success in your class.

Good luck..
01-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A different approach. Look at a K100D/K200D/K10D. The reason for the first two is that they have a DOF preview knob which can be useful for the classes; the Kx does not as far as I know). The latter has (next to DOF preview) dual dials which comes in handy during manual exposure. Over here I still can get a new K200D (slightly more expensive than the Kx) and a new K10D (around 20% more expensive than the Kx). You can also look at refurbished cameras for this.

It's just a thought.

01-24-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you knew someone that was going to be starting school for a degree in photography soon, what equipment would you recommend?
Are they going to photography school to be a professional photographer? Since Canon and Nikon are the only ones with a profession service support network, and that most rental places will only carry lenses and bodies for Nikon and Canon, would it be better to go in one of those two directions?

Thank you
Russell
01-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
A different approach. Look at a K100D/K200D/K10D. The reason for the first two is that they have a DOF preview knob which can be useful for the classes; the Kx does not as far as I know). The latter has (next to DOF preview) dual dials which comes in handy during manual exposure. Over here I still can get a new K200D (slightly more expensive than the Kx) and a new K10D (around 20% more expensive than the Kx). You can also look at refurbished cameras for this.
The K-x isn't quite so bad. It provides both optical and digital previews through the green button. Digital preview allows you to zoom in and even save the preview if you like.

In manual mode, you hold down the EV button to switch the dial to aperture, then release and it's back to shutter. It's really only a disadvantage to Vulcans, who have the mental capacity to adjust both dials at the same time.
01-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster

It's just a thought.
ok, will look.

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Are they going to photography school to be a professional photographer? Since Canon and Nikon are the only ones with a profession service support network, and that most rental places will only carry lenses and bodies for Nikon and Canon, would it be better to go in one of those two directions?

Thank you
Russell
Well, since I'm said student, I would like to get into fine art prints as well as portraits. I was looking at Canon's. I also looked at Oympus. (I've previously used BenQ and Canon for P&S.)

And what do you mean by "profession service support network?"

QuoteOriginally posted by Graystar Quote
The K-x isn't quite so bad. It provides both optical and digital previews through the green button. Digital preview allows you to zoom in and even save the preview if you like.

In manual mode, you hold down the EV button to switch the dial to aperture, then release and it's back to shutter. It's really only a disadvantage to Vulcans, who have the mental capacity to adjust both dials at the same time.
01-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

And what do you mean by "profession service support network?"
Canon Professional Services
Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging, announced today that it will be instituting a new Canon Professional Services (CPS) program beginning in the first quarter of 2009. The new CPS program, which will require all existing members to reapply, will offer three levels of membership – Silver, Gold and Platinum – to qualifying members, with each level receiving better and more extensive service benefits. The new CPS program is designed to provide the appropriate level of service for each professional demographic and to support members with faster service, loan equipment, and a range of other benefits to be announced in the coming months.

"A day without a camera is a day without revenue. It is with this sense of urgency that Canon U.S.A. is upgrading the level of service provided by our CPS program to better support our Canon professionals in the field," stated Yuichi Ishizuka, senior vice president and general manager, Consumer Imaging Group, Canon U.S.A. "We recognize that our responsibilities to full-time professional Canon photographers extend beyond providing them the tools they need to support their livelihood. As a company, we must also provide an exemplary service and support structure for professionals, indicative of our commitment to the art of photography."

CPS Silver level membership will be offered free-of-charge to qualifying photographers. This level of membership includes a welcome kit, access to the CPS phone hotline and a 20 percent discount on repairs. For professional photographers requiring a higher level of Canon support, CPS Gold level membership additionally includes access to loan equipment for a two week trial period and an expedited three-day turnaround on service items. Along with a 30 percent service discount, CPS Gold level membership includes two free Check & Clean vouchers. CPS Gold level membership will have an annual fee of $100*.

The CPS Platinum membership level will include priority access to loan equipment for two-week trial periods, 60 percent discount on repairs, expedited two-day turnaround on equipment service and backup equipment loans if service is longer than two days. CPS Platinum level membership will have an annual fee of $500*.

Nikon Pro
Nikon Professional Services provides valuable assistance for pros in every segment of the photography field, including newspaper, industrial, police and forensic, medical photography, commercial studios, audio-visual production houses and even special movie productions. And, of course, we've long been known for our intensive coverage of field events. NPS is also available to work with national photographic organizations offering advice and assistance, demonstrating the latest Nikon products, and lecturing on various photography topics. Let NPS help you take the world's greatest pictures.

Your Membership in Nikon Professional Services includes:
  • Equipment repairs on a priority basis.
  • Loaner cameras, lenses and accessories for emergencies, evaluation or new ideas on a first come/first serve basis.
  • On-site service at many major news and sporting events.
  • Lectures on photography and Nikon product demonstrations.
  • Special advice on unique photographic projects and assignments.
Thank you
Russell
01-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Over here I still can get a new K200D (slightly more expensive than the Kx) and a new K10D (around 20% more expensive than the Kx). You can also look at refurbished cameras for this.

It's just a thought.
These two cameras are fine choices for your purposes - the K200D using AA batteries (if that's your thing) and the K10D using proprietary Li-ion batteries. Both are weather sealed and have a decent array of features.

But you can get both used for a fraction of the cost of a new K-x - a K10D can be found around the marketplace once in a while for around $300.