Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

PP Newbie question

I thought I would post this in the beginners corner because it is quite basic. I am looking to picking up a PP program, and am not sure what one I should choose. I currently use (and like) aperture, but do not know how to correct distortion with the program.

What the program would be mostly used for is correcting distortion (maybe adding watermarks) to my photos taken with my fisheye lens. I was looking at DxO (DxO Optics Pro Software) for the correction, as Ken Rockwell page has shows nice results. I could also pick up CS4 for relatively cheap, as I am a student, and the student discount is nice.

I am wondering if (and how easy) it is to have the same results in CS4? And if it is worth the extra money for CS4?

01-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Duch Quote
I thought I would post this in the beginners corner because it is quite basic. I am looking to picking up a PP program, and am not sure what one I should choose. I currently use (and like) aperture, but do not know how to correct distortion with the program.

What the program would be mostly used for is correcting distortion (maybe adding watermarks) to my photos taken with my fisheye lens. I was looking at DxO (DxO Optics Pro Software) for the correction, as Ken Rockwell page has shows nice results. I could also pick up CS4 for relatively cheap, as I am a student, and the student discount is nice.

I am wondering if (and how easy) it is to have the same results in CS4? And if it is worth the extra money for CS4?
Well CS4 is my choice. It's what I use everyday for work. And play.
01-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
CS4 is the gold standard. I got Aperture for a very good price (actually free), but I use CS4 with Bridge because I think it works a lot more like my brain does.
01-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CS4 vs DxO

I use CS4 quite extensively but not only for the post processing functions. I like the Bridge part of it that make things quite simple to pick out and organize (for me). I've tried lightroom for this and never really got a grip on it.

That said, if you're going to Use CS4 make sure you shoot RAW. Most of it's correction functions are best used with that format. I tried the demo of DxO a year ago and did like the lens corrections for it's ability to correct the soft focus of my DA*16-50 (16mm at f2.8. Those with that lens know what I'm talking about.). That's about as far as I ever went with it. Still considering it but waiting for them to provide K7 support (they didn't a month or so ago).

If you're really on a budget Paint Shop Pro is a decent piece of software that won't break you. I don't really know how good it's lens correction features are but for general processing of DNG files, it's a nice way to go. Currently, there is no K7 (and I imagine Kx) support so the PEF files will load funny. K7 PEF files load with the red and blue channels swapped. DNG works just fine though.

Yes, I'm bored silly and just rambling for the most part. Hope you got Something out of it

01-25-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks...

I will probably end up using CS4 then. (I can get it for I believe $200- NIB) The question I would have is can you have such dramatic effects of fisheye distortion correction using CS4 (as in DxO)?
I could use a program that would organize my photos better (or maybe just add to the mess) as my photos are scattered in Aperture, on my desktop (in a variety of folders - subfolders) and in iPhoto.
01-25-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With the equipment you have (KX + 18-55 Kit), Paint Shop Pro X2 will do everthing you need except Raw conversion. The 18-55 doesn't have that much distortion on the wide end and the perspective correction tool does a great job.

PSP X2 is on sale for $50 and PSP Ultimate X2 for $60 at the Corel website
Graphic Design Software, Photo and Video Editing Software ? Corel Corporation

and even cheaper at Amazon.
Amazon.com: paint shop pro: Software

You can download a trial version at Corel for 30 days.

Tim
01-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i'm just stepping into this arena as well. can someone post a pic of a before and after cs4 project?
01-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
With the equipment you have (KX + 18-55 Kit), Paint Shop Pro X2 will do everthing you need except Raw conversion. The 18-55 doesn't have that much distortion on the wide end and the perspective correction tool does a great job.

PSP X2 is on sale for $50 and PSP Ultimate X2 for $60 at the Corel website
Graphic Design Software, Photo and Video Editing Software ? Corel Corporation

and even cheaper at Amazon.
Amazon.com: paint shop pro: Software

You can download a trial version at Corel for 30 days.

Tim
I rarely use my kit lens anymore (its too dark indoors), and usually I either use my fisheye lens, 50mm f1.4 or sigma 70-300. The distortion correction would be for my photos I take with my fisheye (around 30% of my photos or around 600 so far)
As far as I know corel is for PC only isnt it? I am a Mac convert.

01-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Have heard that Bibble Pro 5 has lens corrections:

Introducing Bibble 5

and runs on MacOS X as well as Linux and Windows. I haven't tried it yet but might do a trial on one of these two OSs. Silkypix also has it:

SILKYPIX Developer Studio

but they don't seem to have the new version available for MacOS (only version 3.0 and not 4.1) yet.
01-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I rarely use my kit lens anymore (its too dark indoors), and usually I either use my fisheye lens, 50mm f1.4 or sigma 70-300. The distortion correction would be for my photos I take with my fisheye (around 30% of my photos or around 600 so far)
As far as I know corel is for PC only isnt it? I am a Mac convert.
Your profile doesn't show your fisheye, 50mm, or Sigma lens. As for the PC only part, sorry to say but that is correct. Oh well.

PSP does have a fisheye correction action but it is pretty basic. I just purchased a FE and have used it to tone down the FE effect some.

Tim
01-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
i'm just stepping into this arena as well. can someone post a pic of a before and after cs4 project?
Probably not the best examples but

Here is one straight from RAW converted to JPG (no changes made) in CS4

FULL SIZE HERE

Here it is after adjustments with CS4 Camera RAW

FULL SIZE HERE

BTW, Yes, this is the FULL photo. No crop.

IMO however, Adobe Camera RAW is not really where photoshop shines. It's the ability to do layer masking and apply different effects or corrections to each.

This is the photo that was used for my christmas card this past year.

Here it is as shot

Truthfully, any processing program that will allow layer masking is capable of the same thing. I've been using Photoshop since Version 4.0 and I'm simply very comfortable with the work flow.

I don't have the Before on my machine at the moment but here's one where layer masking was used to correct several things

As shot, the sky was nearly blown out. Bringing it back darkens everything else. Layer masking allows me to select each component of the photo and adjust the curves (in this case) to get everything in the photo I want.

Last edited by JeffJS; 01-25-2010 at 04:25 PM.
01-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Very useful additions to something like CS4 are the Nik Efex Pro plug ins, Noise Ninja plug in or Noiseware program. The noise programs are much better at retaining detail when they reduce noise than Photoshop, and Efex Pro has a great set of sliders that kind of combine lots of Photoshop tools into one easy and very effective tool.

Last edited by CWyatt; 01-26-2010 at 12:18 PM.
01-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #13
hcc
Pentaxian

Duch
If you are mainly after lens correction, one of the best and cheaper software is PT Lens {http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/}. It supports the K-x and K-7, among others, with a very wide range of lenses. You can download the demo software and try it for free. Why don't you give a try?

Further your K-7 camera will come with the software Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 (that you could upgrade to 4.11 freely at the pentax website {http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/util4_win.html}. PDCU allows you some basic Post-Processing (PP).

Both PDCU and PTLens may give you a solid PP experience. If you need more PP functions, then the above posts will be useful.

Good PP....
01-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
The thing is, this isn't really a good way to get a sense of the program. I mean, one can do *lots* of different things with CS4, many of them of very limited usefulness. Other programs *also* allow you to do lots of things, and there will be plenty of overlap - things that one *could* do in any given program. It's more a question of how easy the program makes it to get those results, how it supports your overall workflow, and what capabilities it has that *aren't* duplicated in other programs.

But overall, the results one gets from PP are more dependent on the person doing the PP-ing than the program being used. So in a way, it's kind of like asking for a sample dish cooked on a given stove as an indication of the stove's quality.
01-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #15

use the gimp! it's free, although i haven't found lens correction yet. but it's free! and it does a pretty good job at changing colours, it works with all file formats... and there are alot of FREE plugins for it. online manuals... FREE!

but i'm just cheap!