Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sd cards lock tab fell off

Hi don't know where is best to post this but I guess Beginners is about right as far as this goes!!
I have now had SD cards where the little yellow/ blue lock tab came off which makes the camera / card reader say the card is locked. I have taken one of them apart this yellow lock tab does not appear to be connected to any thing so I have to assume that its position is noted in the camera or remote card reader slot , is that correct?
is there some way to save that card or get it to be "unlocked" or do I just grit my teeth and bin them?
Alistair

01-25-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Alistair. The lock slide works only mechanically, no electrical connections. SO you can just replace it. Nevertheless I would (and have) bin a card, that fails so miserably, unless it still has warranty, in which case I would send it in for exchange.

Ben
01-25-2010, 03:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Perhaps the SD is due for a redesign. The tiny little plastic bodies are just fragile.
01-25-2010, 04:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
yes I will bin them the reason the plastic tab "fell out" is that on close examination the two halves of the sd card had come apart slightly.
given I don't realy need high speed cards for muliple exposure quick writting I think I will stick yo the cheap 2 gb cards that are around and put a spot of super glue on the tab to stop it moving or falling out
Alistair

11-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

old thread but googled it so might as well add my bit...

Have a 8GB Sandisk Extreme III that the lock tab fell out of. Popped it back in but the K7 won't play nice with it. PC read/deletes files on it and it works in a Canon S95 p&s. Haven't tried it in other available cameras but putting it back in the K7 doesn't work. Sandisk site says it has a lifetime waranty but you need the original invoice, which I won't have winge over...
11-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
old thread but googled it so might as well add my bit...

Have a 8GB Sandisk Extreme III that the lock tab fell out of. Popped it back in but the K7 won't play nice with it. PC read/deletes files on it and it works in a Canon S95 p&s. Haven't tried it in other available cameras but putting it back in the K7 doesn't work. Sandisk site says it has a lifetime waranty but you need the original invoice, which I won't have winge over...
I had the same experience with 3 different Sandisk Extreme III 4 GB cards, but had the invoices so got them replaced. After that, I won't pay the premium they ask for this brand and have gone back to Transcends which have been trouble free for me for many years.

Scott
11-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
is there some way to save that card or get it to be "unlocked" or do I just grit my teeth and bin them?
I'm all for saving money. "Cheap" is my middle name.

But how much money is at stake here?

I'm just thinking, let's say you can save the card. But it's like an old wound that can bleed any time. The "time" may be that you just see a "must take" scene, you insert the card in the camera, hit the shutter release, only to have the message "Card is locked" on the LCD screen....

11-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
Sandisk site says it has a lifetime waranty but you need the original invoice, which I won't have winge over...
Don't believe what the web site says. Just send it in. The guy/gal at Sandisk who receives it may be in a good mood.

What do you have to lose by sending it in?

BTW, Transcends doesn't require any "proof of purchase." The (damaged) memory card is the proof.