Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #61
Inactive Account

Let's say you start with f8, in manual mode. Set the aperture, get a fair focus, hit the AE-L button. It should show you the speed in the VF. Finish focusing and take the shot. If it is a little over or under exposed, you can either adjust the aperture on the lens, or the speed with the thumbwheel.

01-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Guess you didn't see my last entry. I got it now. I'll post some photos later today. Right now I'm having brunch.
01-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Brunch sounds like a plan .....
01-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I'm not blaming the camera for anything. I am just annoyed this camera isn't like my film cameras in that I could adjust things and still get correct exposed photos.
You *can* adjust things things and still get correct exposed photos. You just can't set any old aperture and shutter speed you want and still get correctly exposed photos. There really shouldn't be any difference whatsoever between the results you get with a given exposure in film versus digital. So the problem isn't that digital doesn't work with the same exposures as film - it's that somehow, you *aren't* setting the same exposures on your digital camera that you would have used with film, and presumably that's because the process of setting the exposure is slightly different and you weren't getting that before. now that you are (use "A" on the aperture ring, set aperture using camera dial), you should find everything works exactly the same as your film camera.

If/when you do use lenses that lack the "A" position - so you have to set aperture using the ring - the *principle* is still exactly the same as it is with "A" lenses. That is, first set aperture, then hit AE-L to set shutter speed. The only difference will be that unlike the situation with "A" lenses, or with your film using the aperture ring, the DSLR won't show you the meter reading unless you do a DOF preview.

QuoteQuote:
If I press the AE- L button, where do I see that it's telling me it's exposed correctly.
With the perture ring on "A", you should see the 0.0 in the viewfinder. With the aperture ring not on "A", you will only see the meter reading while doing a DOF preview (pull the lever around the shutter button in the opposite direction from turning the camera off, and hold it there for as long as you want to see the meter reading).

01-30-2010, 04:38 AM   #65
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
With the perture ring on "A", you should see the 0.0 in the viewfinder. With the aperture ring not on "A", you will only see the meter reading while doing a DOF preview (pull the lever around the shutter button in the opposite direction from turning the camera off, and hold it there for as long as you want to see the meter reading).
I turned that button once and saw the little icon put on the screen but not aware of why it was there, didn't know what it was doing. Thanks for explaining that part also.

On aperture adjusting. This lens is a f4 but when adjusting aperture using the applied methods, I can't get it to go lower than f5.6, why won't it go lower.

I've got the rest down pretty well now, Marc. Thanks very much for your help. I really appreciate that you stuck it out and made me "see" what I wasn't seeing.
01-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #66
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just thought I'd post one more photo after using Marc's instructions:

01-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You're welcome - glad you've got things figured out now!