Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you, Gary, you wrote what I had written and then erased because I still wasn't sure if the other issues were addressed

01-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #47
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
Thank you, Gary, you wrote what I had written and then erased because I still wasn't sure if the other issues were addressed
My head is spinning Keitha, I hope we're getting somewhere.

Over to you Photolady.
01-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
put the lens on the "A"
From page 145 of the Pentax K100D manual -

this shows where the exposure indicator is (top right diagram)

Are you using a lens with an aperture ring - and an "A" position?
If so, there is supposed to be a specific way of metering -
as shown as the last point on the manual page in that gray block.
01-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #49
Damn Brit

I'm going to close this before anyone else posts because it looks like Photolady has turned in and I want to give her a chance to catch up. Hopefully the last few posts have sorted things out.

Photolady, PM me when you're ready and I'll reopen the thread.

Edit: Reopened.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-28-2010 at 07:14 PM.
01-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Meanwhile, I'm going to use sneak in a reply, because I see something that looks fairly obvious to me but *doesn't* seem to have been addressed:

- If you're seeing "F--" in the viewfinder, that 's not because you're in "M" mode - it's because you have your aperture ring set to something other than "A", and if you're using a lens that doesn't have an "A" position - as I believe is the case with severl of the older lenses you own - you have no choice. If using a lens that has an "A" position, use it, and the aperture reading will magically appear. If using a lens that *doesn't* have an "A", then you need to read the sticky thread in this forum on how to use manual lenses. That's basically your problem right there, I think - you're using a lens that either has no "A" position on its aperture ring, or else it has one and you aren't using it. That's why your exposures are off - it's because you aren't taking the steps you need to take in order for the meter to function when using the aperture. It has nothing to do with spot versus center weighted versus matrix, nothing to do with how backlit the subject - you basically aren't metering at all, period.
01-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I know, Marc, that the reason the numbers don't show in the viewfinder is because I've set the lens to other than A. The reason for that was to be able to adjust aperture manually. The lens I usually use is the Sigma and it has the "A" on it.

I went out today and used the settings suggested and that gave me less underexposed shots, though they still aren't what I thought they should be, it worked somewhat.

Tomorrow I'll go out and use your suggestion and we'll see what is what then.

One thing I was going to ask. When I set this camera on Av mode, the manual says I can change Shutter speed, but I have not been able to do that. Does any one have an answer for that? Or is it because I have the aperture ring set for other than A?

Shot I made this morning using the ev controls: f5.6, 1/180s, +0.5, 300mm, ISO 800 and spot metering.

Last edited by photolady95; 01-28-2010 at 08:05 PM.
01-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #52

Looking Good....

Now that squirrel picture looks OK to me. The best mode that I"ve found in the AV mode. At least the camera is doing something !!!!!! No more from me as I"ve got a K20d......

01-29-2010, 06:28 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Are you using the metering guide as shown by UnknownVT? Marc is right, you're essentially guessing rather than taking a reading and compensating either way.
01-29-2010, 06:52 AM   #54
Inactive Account

When in AV mode. You can change the aperture with the thumbwheel, if the lens is in the "A" position. In AV mode the camera decides what shutter speed to set, after you set the aperture.
In TV mode, you can set the shutter speed, the camera sets the aperture to what it thinks will suffice for that speed, with the lens in "A" position.
01-29-2010, 08:00 AM   #55
Nubi

I realize that we are discussing exposures and such, but the real problem with the OP's picture for me is the focus. It is not focused on the bird. Without appropriate focusing, it's hard for me to think about how over or under I want to play with. Looks like to me that if you want to shoot birds you need longer tele and a tripod, although I may be way off. Sorry. I suck.
01-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I know, Marc, that the reason the numbers don't show in the viewfinder is because I've set the lens to other than A. The reason for that was to be able to adjust aperture manually. The lens I usually use is the Sigma and it has the "A" on it.
You can and should adjust the aperture manually even with the ring on "A" - you just use the dial on the camera to do it, rather than the aperture ring. Using the aperture in any position other than "A" is not something you should be doing unless you have no choice. The camera becomes crippled in a number of ways the moment you set the aperture ring anywhere else.

So if you are using the aperture ring, you still haven't verified whether or not you are actually using the metering procedure described in the sticky thread at the top of this forum on how to use manual lenses: that is, using the AE-L button or DOF preview to activate the meter. Are you using one of those two methods to set your shutter speed or not? If so, then please explain exactly how you are doing it. If not, then again, that's your problem right there. You can't blame the camera for an underexposed shot when the camera had nothing to do with setting the exposure. The camera only becomes involved when you press AE-L or do the DOF preview (and the latter still requires *you* to set the shutter speed).

QuoteQuote:
One thing I was going to ask. When I set this camera on Av mode, the manual says I can change Shutter speed, but I have not been able to do that.
No, the manual doesn't say that. Quite the opposite - in Av mode, you select the aperture, the *camera* selects the shutter speed. It is Tv mode that lets you select the shutter speed, with the camera choosing the aperture. But both of these modes work only when your aperture ring is in the "A" position.

QuoteQuote:
Shot I made this morning using the ev controls: f5.6, 1/180s, +0.5, 300mm, ISO 800 and spot metering.
I think you should drop the idea of using spot metering until you have a very firm grasp on exposure. Spot metering requires you to understand exposure and your cameras controls intimately, or else your exposures will be wildly varying. Either of the other two modes are preferable for general purpose use (ie, if you don't already understand the subject well enough to be able to explain it to someone else).
01-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I haven't been verifying exposure is correct. That is part of the problem.

And you're right, it was Tv mode, so I don't know why I said Av mode.

And I forgot to change the metering method, which I intended to do prior to taking that shot.

The camera is now set to center - weight metering.

I'm not blaming the camera for anything. I am just annoyed this camera isn't like my film cameras in that I could adjust things and still get correct exposed photos. I guess I should just accept the fact that this DSLR isn't going to work if I try to control it my way, and should start controlling it by using the methods available in the camera.

If I press the AE- L button, where do I see that it's telling me it's exposed correctly.
01-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #58
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, I set the lens on "A". Camera in "M" mode, adjusted the shutter and the aperture using the wheel. Pressed the AE-L button and in the viewfinder it shows 0.0. Took a shot, too light, adjusted Aperture and shot again. Better.

Manual said I could do the above and it so far is working.

After all these answers and suggestions, it too Marc to make me understand that I didn't have to use the aperture ring to set the aperture.

Btw, my manual is .pdf. I intend to buy a book manual next month from Pentax. So I can carry it with me in my camera bag.
01-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #59
Veteran Member

The same principles apply though, just set your aperture using the wheel instead, it's faster and easier anyway.

I am still absolutely baffled why you were not using the metering guide though, film or digital, you were poking in the dark with a black stick.

Assuming your lens has an 'A' setting on the aperture ring, set it there and use Av mode, select your aperture then use the exposure compensation button when it's needed.

I really don't get why people use 'manual' unless they are allowing for creative exposures, Av or manaual, you still need the metering guide so why set the shutter manually?
01-29-2010, 10:10 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Took a shot, too light, adjusted Aperture and shot again. Better.
I'd be edgy about using aperture to control your exposure, use aperture to control depth of field and to match the lenses sweet spot (usually f/8). I'd only be using aperture to control the exposure if you are low on light and need to go wide open with the aperture to get enough light.

Try Av mode and exposure comp instead of full manaul, your camera has just the one dial so using exposure comp i seasier than fidding with the shutter setting.