Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Flash Help for a Newbie.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi
I have been lurking here for a little bit and this is my first post. I am hoping someone can recommend a flash for me. I have the K200D with the 18-55mm kit lens. I am getting the sigma 30mm 1.4 lens and that is taking most of my current cash. I do need a flash though. Photography is a hobby for me and I am mostly taking photos of my kids indoors. I do not mind learning how to use the flash in manual, so TTL is not hugely important to me. I am going to use it mostly for in my home which is very dimly lit. I need the flash to stop motion of my kids! I am hoping to try to use it while doing the "dragging the shutter" technique and want to bounce it, so I would like to be able to swivel vertical and horizontal. I am open to buying used, but I no idea what to look for and what is compatible or even what is a good price for used flashes. I was looking at the precision flash on amazon for $50, but thought it may be better to get a used better quality/brand flash. I have no flash experience! Thank You!

01-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flashes

I only have experience with the name brand (read, expensive) flashes when it comes to swivel head flashes but here's one that might fill your needs.

If you decide you want to go used market, this may serve as a guide.. High Trigger Voltages can damage your camera so be mindful of what you are getting.

If you decide that swivel isn't that important to you, the AF360 is a nice little unit that will allow you to use your camera to full ability, including wireless flash.

Don't know what Dragging the shutter is so can't help much beyond that.
01-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! I will have to read that link more in depth when I have more time. But a very good thing to know!

I am looking at this flash right now. Thoughts??
01-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was actually going to suggest that one based on your stated preferences. The chart says "your call" on the trigger voltage though I suspect it would be fine. Keep in mind with Used electronics you pays your money you takes your chances. I've dealt with that seller in the past and the transaction was smooth enough. Google is your friend here.

With a non-PTTL (note the P) you are going to be using Auto mode quite a bit. Otherwise the flash will fire at full power which for kiddie shots, you may not want. Auto mode isn't a big problem to use, in fact it's quite simple once you get the knack. So you should add Auto mode to your list of needs (most modern 3rd party flashes will handle this and meet the voltage requirements). Especially if you intend to use Non DA / FA lenses (M, K, A, M42). Of course, that would be true regardless of the flash.

Good luck

01-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks!!! I will do a little more research tonight, but I feel like I at least have a starting point.