Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #1

a Vietnamese newbie wonders where to buy pentax dslr in USA?

HI there,

Im new to this forum and I love the way this forum functions. I'll be visiting USA, MAINE (Portland) and MASSACHUSETTS (Boston) next June, 2010 for 4 months and I need your help on where to buy good DSLR + lens there. Here are my criteria:

1/ I love Pentax + sony dslr + prime lens for taking landscape and portrait pictures.
2/ I like to buy stuff on a brick-n-mortar stores rather than online (since we vietnamese people are not familiar with online commerce and credit cards). I must try it on my hands before paying for it to make sure it works properly to me.
3/ I love either the brand new or used gears as long as they function well.

And one extra question, how can the Western consumers can rely on sellers on eBay or amazon while they can't touch and try their stuffs before buying? For instance, what happen if they receive a Nikkon D300 with 20,000 shuttle counts instead of the advertised 8000 counts? how can buyers check if the lens are clear enough?

Im sorry to ask too much but I hope I can get your help since I am new to modern Western world.

01-28-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't help you with Maine or Mass but at some point between the two you're likely to pass by or through New York. Lots of stores there..

As to buying online sight unseen, you may understand once you try to find Pentax in a store here in the USA, other than at the bigger New York stores. When dealing with Amazon, you are quite likely dealing with one of the New York resellers with Amazon being a third party (taking their cut of cash for the transaction).

If you buy a camera advertised with 8000 clicks really having 20000, file an item not as described claim. Ebay has become a buyers market with a customer is always right mentality (even when they're wrong) and really sticking it to sellers with ever skyrocketing fees. More and more it's becoming just another advertising venue for the major resellers, many of which are in Asia.

I would be careful buying out of market though because Warranty may become a problem if you need to use it.

01-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #3

Lol, let a Vietnamese answer ya ^__^ Sorry folks, we will use a bit Vietnamese here ...

Boston là một khu vực rộng có nhiều người Việt ở đấy, bạn nên nhờ người quen mua hàng online tại các cửa hàng có uy tín như B&H Photo hoặc Amazon. Việc mua bán online rất dễ dàng và đáng tin cậy nếu bạn chịu để ý một chút, nhưng nếu bạn mới qua thì nên nhờ người quen mua dùm.

Nêu mua máy Pentax như K-x hoặc K-7 đều rất tốt và quan trọng là đầu tư tiền cho lens. Trước mắt bạn cứ dùng lens kit là 18-55 một thời gian rồi hãy suy nghĩ nên nâng cấp sau.

Hope it is helpful for ya ^__^
01-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AirSupply Quote
Lol, let a Vietnamese answer ya ^__^ Sorry folks, we will use a bit Vietnamese here ...

Boston là một khu vực rộng có nhiều người Việt ở đấy, bạn nên nhờ người quen mua hàng online tại các cửa hàng có uy tín như B&H Photo hoặc Amazon. Việc mua bán online rất dễ dàng và đáng tin cậy nếu bạn chịu để ý một chút, nhưng nếu bạn mới qua thì nên nhờ người quen mua dùm.

Nêu mua máy Pentax như K-x hoặc K-7 đều rất tốt và quan trọng là đầu tư tiền cho lens. Trước mắt bạn cứ dùng lens kit là 18-55 một thời gian rồi hãy suy nghĩ nên nâng cấp sau.

Hope it is helpful for ya ^__^
It's very nice to meet a compatriot here in this forum. Thanks for your kind reply. I'll try B&H. But I still want to try the cameras first (I mean touch it and hold it in my hands). So is there any way around this?

I think I will try k10d first in vietnam and go for K-x when I am in US.

And what you mean by "nếu bạn chịu để ý 1 chút?"

01-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #5

I am not sure where you can try the Pentax cameras in Boston because most of the local camera store just carry the Canikon - Kodak .... only. Best Buy don't carry Pentax cameras in their store neither ... I suggets you search the local camera store's phone numbers and ask them if they have the Pentax dslr in stock.

The K-x is good at entry-level, but if money is not a matter, go for the K-7.

If you buy from B&H or Amazon, they can buy with confidence because they are the big retailers and they have customer service to answer you as well. If you buy from the individual seller, you have to take a look at their reputation (aka feedbacks, how many items they are selling ..) and how long they are doing business.

That's all. Welcome to the Pentax world
01-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
I am not sure where you can try the Pentax cameras in Boston because most of the local camera store just carry the Canikon - Kodak .... only. Best Buy don't carry Pentax cameras in their store neither ... I suggets you search the local camera store's phone numbers and ask them if they have the Pentax dslr in stock.

The K-x is good at entry-level, but if money is not a matter, go for the K-7.

If you buy from B&H or Amazon, they can buy with confidence because they are the big retailers and they have customer service to answer you as well. If you buy from the individual seller, you have to take a look at their reputation (aka feedbacks, how many items they are selling ..) and how long they are doing business.

That's all. Welcome to the Pentax world
thanks so much for your help. I highly appreciate your kindness and how much did u pay for your DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED / DA 40mm F2.8 Limited? Just to compare with those in Vietnam lol.

Now I will consider others' opinions before making my decisions.

Last edited by hdsilver; 01-28-2010 at 07:25 PM. Reason: adding quiries
01-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #7

I bought the DA 40mm brand new from B$H with $340, and the DA* 50-135 from a Iowa folk with 700 bucks ... I am sure you can buy them "used" in Saigon with much cheaper price ... For example, the DA 40mm used is selling for "4 trieu" and the DA 35mm for "6 trieu" in Saigon.

01-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
I bought the DA 40mm brand new from B$H with $340, and the DA* 50-135 from a Iowa folk with 700 bucks ... I am sure you can buy them "used" in Saigon with much cheaper price ... For example, the DA 40mm used is selling for "4 trieu" and the DA 35mm for "6 trieu" in Saigon.
what is different between FA, DA, A and other symbols?
01-29-2010, 05:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are different lines of lenses. DA lenses are the newest lenses and are APS-C only -- they tend to be smaller. They also lack an aperture ring. FA lenses are mostly not in production any more, but they are left over from the film camera days. They both have auto focus. Any other lens markings will indicate older lenses without autofocus. 'A' lenses will have auto metering, but lack auto focus.
01-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

In Boston: Calumet Photo, by the Galeria mall in Cambridge (just over the river from Boston -- literally closer to downtown Boston than most of Boston is) carries Pentax, although their selection is small and random. (For a while, the three lenses they had in stock were the DA★ 16-50, DA★ 50-135, and DA 14mm.)

They're sometimes a little rude there if your appearance and demeanor don't scream "Pro Photographer". They'll sometimes match B&H's prices, but not always.

Also, I'll second the suggestion to go with B&H Photo. They're in New York, and one of two NY camera stores (the other being Adorama) which I trust to not scam people. I order from them all the time, and I've never had my purchase show up later than the next day, even with the cheapest shipping.
01-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
In Boston: Calumet Photo, by the Galeria mall in Cambridge (just over the river from Boston -- literally closer to downtown Boston than most of Boston is) carries Pentax, although their selection is small and random. (For a while, the three lenses they had in stock were the DA★ 16-50, DA★ 50-135, and DA 14mm.)

They're sometimes a little rude there if your appearance and demeanor don't scream "Pro Photographer". They'll sometimes match B&H's prices, but not always.

Also, I'll second the suggestion to go with B&H Photo. They're in New York, and one of two NY camera stores (the other being Adorama) which I trust to not scam people. I order from them all the time, and I've never had my purchase show up later than the next day, even with the cheapest shipping.
Thank you for your advice. im a bit surprised to this "They're sometimes a little rude there if your appearance and demeanor don't scream "Pro Photographer". How can they do business if they look down on prospective customers?
01-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hdsilver Quote
Thank you for your advice. im a bit surprised to this "They're sometimes a little rude there if your appearance and demeanor don't scream "Pro Photographer". How can they do business if they look down on prospective customers?
Gooood question. I think in some camera stores, this elitist attitude is a way of defining a market; by keeping out the "riff-raff" who may have stumbled in from the mall across the street, they make the store more appealing to the "in-club". And that select group is the regular customers who can be relied on to spend a steady stream of money.

Or something like that. One can't help but note that independent camera stores are a scarce breed these days, and maybe they really can't afford that attitude anymore.

I should stress that sometimes I've gotten very helpful and friendly service there. Other times, not so much.
02-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
Inactive Account

@hdsilver, why won't you go to NY for a short trip. It take you about 5 hours from Boston to NY by bus for $30 round trip. People here usually go back and forth in one day. I might be an only one haven't done that here but i plan to do it soon. Calumet now have some K-x kits with 2 lenses 18-55 and 55-200 so you might try it if you want a K-x.