Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 01:54 AM   #1

K-x with Zeikos Rubber Lens Hood: any PROBS?

Hi Everyone,

I'm a DSLR noob that just converted from a Canon SD300 P&S. I have the 15-55mm & 55-300 K-x kit but also purchased a Zeikos 52mm Soft Rubber Lens Hood.

There's a problem: it's not threading on to any of the lens. I think it's because of how the Zeikos rubber is fitting around it's threaded trim ring. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, this may be silly to ask but...shouldn't the Pentax lens cap be able to snap on to the outside end of the lens hood? Mine definitely doesn't fit to the Zeikos.

Thx for any assistance.

01-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In general, you really want a hood that is specifically designed for your lens, not one that just happens to have the same filter size. Since this hood is the same filter size as your 18-55, it *should* physically fit, but that doesn't mean it will actually work well. Chances are it will either have little effect, or will end up darkening the corners of your pictures (vignetting). If you search these forums for previous discussions of hoods, you'll find a link to a hood that is designed to work well with the 18-55 - it's a "petal" shaped hood. Looks just like the official Pentax one, but is a lot cheaper.

Anyhow, the one you have should fit the 18-55, if not, that's just all the more reason to toss it. As for caps, some thread hoods are designed to allow you to use a cap with them, others are not. I have no idea about this particular model.
01-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a crying shame that Pentax decided not to include the dedicated bayonet petal hood with the new budget "DA-L" series, but this can be rectified as I believe the "real thing" is only about $20 new, there's one for $15 at KEH right now. The difference is well worth it--the proper shape and reversable bayonet connection will be infinitely more satisfying than an unattractive, ill-fitting, screwed in hood, that wasn't specifically designed with your lense's optics in mind.

This is probably a little less critical with the 55-300 as finding a good match for telephoto is probably easier than wide angle but the reversable bayonet connection alone makes it worthwhile.
01-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #4

Original Poster
Good points. Thanks Marc and Andrew. I've given up trying to fit the Zeikos rubber lens hood; it's going back to Amazon and I'll purchase a model specific unit for my 15-55 DA-L.

01-30-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
Igilligan

Golly... I love the Zeikos rubber hood on my DAL 55-300... it really works well and I like the softness incase I bump it into anything. And the three position fold out is nice too.

I have now ordered a few more of the Zeicos hoods for some of my favorite lenses.

You can keep the old hard plastic ones. Just my 2 cents
01-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

ill tell you from experience. On the 18-55 you can't extend the hood all the way out at certain focal lengths or you'll see a huge circle in your photo.
01-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #7

Works fine on my 55-300, but it vignettes my 18-55 at wide. At 18mm, I can't get the hood to hide. It is rubber, so maybe you can cut or shape it to work. Otherwise, it's a very clever hood.
02-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #8

Original Poster
Wow, you guys actually made it fit on your 18-55 and 55-300 lenses? I must be doeing something wrong because it would never thread on. It's a 52mm fitment, correct?

Also, were you guys able to fit the Pentax lens cover on outside ring of the hood?

02-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Igilligan

The zeikos work on the the two lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by BodegaBay Quote
Wow, you guys actually made it fit on your 18-55 and 55-300 lenses? I must be doeing something wrong because it would never thread on. It's a 52mm fitment, correct?

Also, were you guys able to fit the Pentax lens cover on outside ring of the hood?
NO... it is a 52mm on the 18-55 ---- and a 58mm on the 55-300.

Do you have the collapsible rubber hood? I have the zeikos for both lenses and they both screw on the front and use the pentax lens caps.
02-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
NO... it is a 52mm on the 18-55 ---- and a 58mm on the 55-300. Do you have the collapsible rubber hood? I have the zeikos for both lenses and they both screw on the front and use the pentax lens caps.
Ah, 52 on 18-55 and 58 for 55-300. Didn't realize that; still a noob. But still, I couldn't get the 52 to thread onto the 18-55 and the Pentax lens cap definitely didn't fit.

The unit I had was indeed a collapsible unit. Maybe I just got a bad one from Amazon. Here's the link?
02-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure you're trying to screw the right side into the lens? There are probably external threads on one side of the hood (which threads into the lens) and internal threads on the other end for filters or the lens cap.
02-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
Pretty darn sure. I don't have it anymore to quadruple check since I returned it to Amazon.