Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 04:55 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
So, did the firmware update fixed the battery issues completely? A related question. Does the new (ordered) K-x come with the latest firmware by default or is it up to us to update it manually? Thanks
I received my K-x last week out of a fresh shipment to Amazon, and it did not have the updated firmware. This makes sense, as these cameras were probably still on a boat when the firmware was released.

Some say their battery issues are fixed...still others say they have the same problem. Personally, even with the update AND resetting the camera, my K-x still doesn't play well with NiMH cells. It could be that certain samples just don't like NiMH, or maybe my K-x has been spoiled and only wants NiZn cells now...dunno.

If I were to speculate, I'd say that the camera probably requires fresh NiMH cells to work well, and if you're using cells with 100 charges, you're going to have problems. I say that because a set of NiMH cells that I have here, with well under 100 charges, won't even start the K-x.

If I use cells that are in better shape, the camera will start. However, the battery indicator shows the cells as being half depleted. Now, it is true that showing how much power is left in a battery is all about sleight of hand, and has nothing to do with science…but still…I’d expect NiMHs right off the charger to have a better showing.

02-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #17

Got mine last week, it also came with ver 1.00.

I have no issues with - admittedly brand new - NiMH cells. Probably 150 shots now, and the cell still shows full on the display.
02-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I have a solution to your battery woes, buy a camera that takes proper batteries.

AA's really are a pest.
02-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
I have a solution to your battery woes, buy a camera that takes proper batteries.

AA's really are a pest.
I like using AA cells. The Energizer Ultimate Lithiums that came with my camera went straight into my camera bag. Now, I will never be caught without working batteries for the next 15 years!

The NiZn cells are working well in my camera, and I can buy 4 sets of 4 for 40 bucks...about the price of a single proprietary Li-ion battery (or two cheap, but poor quality copies.) I can used them in my other cameras and even other devices, such as the clock drive on my telescope mount.

I think there's a lot of versatility and value in using AAs.