Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

KX Battery

Anyone encounters KX draining battery excessively?

I put in a brand new energizer and took less than 20 shots, the battery indicator hows low batt!!!!

I put in another re-chargerable battery got the same results?!

Is it the indicator error or me?!?!?!

The only time i enjoy long battery life is the batteries that came with the box, what is wrong.

BTW this is the first time i changed the battery, i just got it last Saturday. The battery detaction is set to auto btw.

help pls. TIA

Last edited by tom_kkh; 01-29-2010 at 06:53 PM.
01-29-2010, 07:15 PM   #2

Hi Tom

Lots of threads about the battery life on the K-x. There is a firmware update available from both the American and Japanese Pentax sites that address this issue - do a search of this forum and you'll come up with the link. Just make sure you have a fresh set of batteries in there when you do the update, if they run low during the update process you'll 'brick' your camera, and have to send it to Pentax for (non-warranty) repair.

I'm getting hundreds of shots out of a set of rechargables after installing the new firmware.
01-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
Hi Tom

Lots of threads about the battery life on the K-x. There is a firmware update available from both the American and Japanese Pentax sites that address this issue - do a search of this forum and you'll come up with the link. Just make sure you have a fresh set of batteries in there when you do the update, if they run low during the update process you'll 'brick' your camera, and have to send it to Pentax for (non-warranty) repair.

I'm getting hundreds of shots out of a set of rechargables after installing the new firmware.

i have updated the firmware three days ago.. may i know how do you check if it is the lastest?
01-29-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tom_kkh Quote
i have updated the firmware three days ago.. may i know how do you check if it is the lastest?
Take a capture and review the Makernotes in the EXIF data. There should be two properties called "DSP Firmware Version" and "CPU Firmware Version". Both should say 1.01.00.07.

01-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #5

Hmmm, trying to remember... I think it was by turning the power on while holding the 'info' button down and a screen will pop up with the basic firmware code on it. Mine started with version 1.00 and updated to v.1.01

The firmware is also listed in a photograph's EXIF data, which you should be able to call up with photoshop or whatever you're using to view the pictures.

I noticed you said 'brand-new energizers' only lasted twenty shots. Were these alkaline or rechargable energizers? High draw electronics like cameras eat regular alkalines, they're only good for emergencies, and I don't think the rechargable energizers come pre-charged.

Oh, and as I've gleened from these threads a lot of people claim better results from the upgrade if they use the menu's 'reset' commands after installing - and note that there are TWO resets hiding in the menus.

That's about all the expertise I've got for you, (I've only had one for two weeks!) but I encouage you to do some searches using the search button above (use the Google option, it seems to work better) and read up on some of the (very long and detailled) discussions about batteries.
01-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bikecoboss Quote
Hmmm, trying to remember... I think it was by turning the power on while holding the 'info' button down and a screen will pop up with the basic firmware code on it. Mine started with version 1.00 and updated to v.1.01

The firmware is also listed in a photograph's EXIF data, which you should be able to call up with photoshop or whatever you're using to view the pictures.

I noticed you said 'brand-new energizers' only lasted twenty shots. Were these alkaline or rechargable energizers? High draw electronics like cameras eat regular alkalines, they're only good for emergencies, and I don't think the rechargable energizers come pre-charged.

Oh, and as I've gleened from these threads a lot of people claim better results from the upgrade if they use the menu's 'reset' commands after installing - and note that there are TWO resets hiding in the menus.

That's about all the expertise I've got for you, (I've only had one for two weeks!) but I encouage you to do some searches using the search button above (use the Google option, it seems to work better) and read up on some of the (very long and detailled) discussions about batteries.

Thks guys, tried it should be turning on while pressing the menu button. It shows 1.01 alread....
01-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Graystar Quote
Take a capture and review the Makernotes in the EXIF data. There should be two properties called "DSP Firmware Version" and "CPU Firmware Version". Both should say 1.01.00.07.
I am sorry i am not sure how to do it.

I only have the pentax camera utilities software, no photshop or anything.

How do I achieve the EXIF data as explained?

01-30-2010, 02:32 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To check the EXIF data:
Take a picture with the camera and load the picture into a computer.
Right-click on the picture file > Choose "Properties"
In Properties window click the "Details" tab, you now should see the list of EXIF data, if not, look for a button "Advanced" or "More Info".

In the list look for a sub-headline "Origin", under there should be the line "Program name" and behind that you should see "K-x ver 1.00" or "K-x ver 1.01"

As far as batteries are concerned - try Panasonic Infiniums or Sayo eneloops. I have the Infiniums and they work great! In fact I sometimes get tired of how long they last and wish they would already deplete so I can recharge them and not worry about the red battery indicator.
01-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If by energizer you mean ordinary alkaline batteries, stop wasting time on those - the won't work well. Even says so in the manual. but good qualitiy rechargeables should be fine assumign they are fully charged and not so old that they are incapable of holding a charge. Do check the numerous other threads on not only the firmware, but also the option settings required to mke the K-x know what kind of battery you are using. And the numerous threads recommending Sanyo Eneloops or other "hybrid" low self-discharge cells.
01-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
is there a list of preferred batteries for Pentax KX?

Am going to buy additional sets of rechargables, not sure which to buy.

Am currently having GP 2700
01-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #11

I bought 2 sets of Sanyo Eneloops and Sanyo charger at the same time as a bought my K-x. Also, I made sure to update the firmware to v.1.01. My K-x is set to auto detect the battery type. No issues at all with the Eneloops.
01-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #12

I bought a set of 4 yuasa 2700mA-hr NiMH batteries off Amazon for twelve bucks. I've shot a hundred so far, and the battery indicator is still showing full.

ken
01-31-2010, 12:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tom_kkh Quote
is there a list of preferred batteries for Pentax KX?
Like I said above, any of the "hybrid" low self-discharge cells - they are usually clearly makred as such. See any of the zillions of other threads on the subject of AA's for specific brands, but Eneloop is the original and most popular.
01-31-2010, 03:32 AM   #14

Original Poster
thanks guys! appreciated, if my GP2700 performs, i will get another 4, otherwise, i guess i will go with the mainstream batteries as used by many
02-01-2010, 04:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So, did the firmware update fixed the battery issues completely? A related question. Does the new (ordered) K-x come with the latest firmware by default or is it up to us to update it manually? Thanks